PDA

View Full Version : Misc Linux users

green91
05-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Just curious if im the only one running linux on IA, i have experience with slackware, redhat, mandrake, freebsd, debian... and a few others.. any other linux guys around here?

4dmin
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
ianhavok, eurospeed, & myself are probably the only ones w/ any linux experience

green91
05-17-2005, 12:30 PM
i didnt think there were a whole lot of us around here :) ive been running debian lately.. i just wish i could get the firefox dependancies worked out so i could quit using mozilla browser.

Pher
05-19-2005, 12:30 AM
I use linux for servers and I used to use it on my home PC.
Know it pretty well ;)

David88vert
05-19-2005, 06:00 AM
I used to use Redhat on a couple of small webservers that I hosted. Mostly I stick to Solaris (Unix) though.

green91
05-19-2005, 06:11 AM
Thats cool, i tend to stay away from Redhat... but ive been looking for a sparcstation to pick up to play with solaris

atl_galant2k3
05-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I used to use Redhat back in the day. I know use Mandrake. I like it a lot.

4dmin
05-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Thats cool, i tend to stay away from Redhat... but ive been looking for a sparcstation to pick up to play with solaris i have a sparcstation, give me your budget and i'll see if i can sell it... it used to be used as a print server for an oce document station

green91
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM
what kinda specs?

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I used to use Redhat back in the day. I know use Mandrake. I like it a lot.
hell yeah mandrake! How long u been on it?

But honestly I see ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE for unix \ linux for home users, so thats why most ppl on this board dont even know what linux is.

Anyone remember back in the days playing MUDS back on oldskool linux apache and shit.

havent had any use for it in awhile... Just wondering, has anyone used that "LINDOWS" bs or "OpenOffice" ? JW

green91
05-20-2005, 06:59 AM
I do anything in Linux i would do in Windows or MacOS.. plus its faster and more stable! If it were easier to get oriented to i think alot more people would switch. It just takes some getting used to.

RandomGuy
05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I do anything in Linux i would do in Windows or MacOS.. plus its faster and more stable! If it were easier to get oriented to i think alot more people would switch. It just takes some getting used to.
cmon man be honest to yourself... Linux IS easy... it IS fast... the reason I dont use it is just to save the hassle. If you have friends over, migrating files, other ppl in the family, its just too much hassle... I'm just like go with the flow... ya know?
Sure everythings possible just gotta deal with all those third parties and shit its BS.... but in the ideal world, the linux kernel would rule, thats true... but in reality windows owns almost all home use systems. What can we do? If ya cant beat 'em join 'em.

Pher
05-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I use openoffice all the time. Im trying to get away from Microsoft as much as I can.
Its not near as functional but shit man, open source software is something I can get used to.
Whats the new Longhorn going to run for a legit copy? ... 3...4...$500.00 Its just getting insane.

green91
05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
cmon man be honest to yourself... Linux IS easy... it IS fast... the reason I dont use it is just to save the hassle. If you have friends over, migrating files, other ppl in the family, its just too much hassle... I'm just like go with the flow... ya know?
Sure everythings possible just gotta deal with all those third parties and shit its BS.... but in the ideal world, the linux kernel would rule, thats true... but in reality windows owns almost all home use systems. What can we do? If ya cant beat 'em join 'em.

ever use samba? once its setup you can share files using windows file sharing just like its a windows computer. there is also appletalk compatability if your a mac guy

soul
05-20-2005, 07:14 PM
redhat here along with xp pro

RandomGuy
05-21-2005, 01:08 AM
I use openoffice all the time. Im trying to get away from Microsoft as much as I can.
Its not near as functional but shit man, open source software is something I can get used to.
Whats the new Longhorn going to run for a legit copy? ... 3...4...$500.00 Its just getting insane.

very true, but see all those people who are always hating on microsoft. My cousin works for them, they aren't as evil as youd think. They make some freakin great products. I'm not gonna hate on longhorn, they hired some of the most brilliant minds to put it together, itll cost what it costs, ya know? I don't want to pay for it, yeah.. .true... But I just dont think its worth the hassle to go for the open source stuff... its usually of lower quality (without you fidgeting with it, of course)... and it just takes too much effort.
Linux = rock solid im not hating on that either..
but microsoft needs some props, I bet half of you posting are on windows right now. It isnt SUPER-evil... its a well compiled program. the R&D = mad crazy, prolly much crazier than absolutely any other prog/prog suite out right now.

anyways windows owns, its a fact... Linux=efficient as shit when you got a real need for it, otherwise its a waste of time... just my opinion though.

Although i think the stats are that linux is on top of server OS's right now right... i hear that thats changing... and leaning more towards the MS solutions... who knows?

Pher
05-21-2005, 02:29 AM
MS makes a great product, this I agree. If I had the money to blow on it I would. I spend my cash on hardware and skimp on the soft side.
AS400 for lyfe y0! ... kidding

5thgcelica
05-21-2005, 10:01 AM
i used to run slackware. i wasnt all that good at it.

RandomGuy
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
AS400 for lyfe y0! ... kidding
lol isnt that those cheap ass 'asrock' shitty motherboards?

chrisdavis
05-26-2005, 10:33 PM
... Just wondering, has anyone used that "LINDOWS" bs or "OpenOffice" ? JW

I heard that they no longer call it Lindows, but I have a copy of Linspire 4.5 which looks alot like windows. I work nights and have nothing to do so I thought that it would fill my free time to learn Linux. I didnt get very far as I had compatability problems with my modem and couldnt get on the internet as well as several other compatability problems, so I ditched it.

green91
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
lol isnt that those cheap ass 'asrock' shitty motherboards?

No, AS400 are a business server platform made by IBM based on the Risc processor.. pretty neat systems to work with. Also fairly expensive

green91
05-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I heard that they no longer call it Lindows, but I have a copy of Linspire 4.5 which looks alot like windows. I work nights and have nothing to do so I thought that it would fill my free time to learn Linux. I didnt get very far as I had compatability problems with my modem and couldnt get on the internet as well as several other compatability problems, so I ditched it.

Usually incompatability problems are due to inexperience :) although it is a
PITA to get drivers working sometimes. Recompiling a kernel if the driver isnt a module is a blast to do. If its a software based (winmodem) then youre outta luck as far as modem support... but id be willing to bet the rest of your hardware has linux driver support. You could pick up a cheap serial based 56k modem and surf away (i even have one i would gladly sell :) )

chrisdavis
05-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Usually incompatability problems are due to inexperience :) although it is a
PITA to get drivers working sometimes. Recompiling a kernel if the driver isnt a module is a blast to do. If its a software based (winmodem) then youre outta luck as far as modem support... but id be willing to bet the rest of your hardware has linux driver support. You could pick up a cheap serial based 56k modem and surf away (i even have one i would gladly sell :) )

I dont have dial up :D . Im on Comcast.

green91
05-27-2005, 05:33 PM
is your cable modem internal? ethernet is usually very easy to get working

chrisdavis
05-28-2005, 07:48 AM
is your cable modem internal? ethernet is usually very easy to get working

I got an external modem (Motorolla Surfboard). Tne problem I had was with the modem itself. My ethernet card didnt give me a problem. Im on a different computer now, I may build me another one later and try it again.