PDA

View Full Version : Misc building a basic pc to play WoW - help!

Black R
07-27-2006, 12:32 AM
ok, well i've started off with this motherboard and intel processor thanks to a friend:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebt/sb/cs-008786.htm#3

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebt/A9220001.pdf

I also have a 250gig SATA hard drive, but this board doesn't have any sata plugs.

So I purchased this:

http://www.directron.com/ugtst300.html

And I got a stick of 512mb kingston RAM. :)

I took a spare ATX case I had laying around and threw everything into it - along with a cd rom.

Now I just need a video card, but I'm stumped on a couple of things.....

There are several sets of wires paired and coming from the power switch area on the front of the case:

'reset sw' = purple and white
'h.d.d led' = red and white
'power led' = green and white
's/b sw' = black and white
'speaker' = red and black

Now I plugged them in according to what I thought was the right way to do it - at least according to the .pdf I linked above.....

BUT, upon trying to turn on the machine it doesn't do anything other than light up the led on the motherboard...

I did find this note:

Caution: The processor fan must be connected to the processor fan connector, not to a chassis fan connector. Connecting the processor fan to a chassis fan connector may result in onboard component damage that will halt fan operation.

Note: Do not use a standard ATX power supply. The Intel Desktop Board D845EBT will not boot with a standard ATX power supply. Use only ATX12V-compliant power supplies with the Intel Desktop Board D845EBT. ATX12V power supplies have an additional power lead that provides required supplemental power for the PentiumŪ 4 processor. The Intel Desktop Board D845EBT will not boot if the ATX12V power supply is not connected to both the 4-pin and 20-pin power connectors.

So for now I'm stumped..... <_<

DemonEyez
07-27-2006, 01:27 AM
sigh. shoulda gotten a different mobo

but yeah basically you need to find a 2.0 atx power supply. their not hard to find btw.

and if u were interested in gaming shoulda gone with a amd processor.

you got a outdated mobo if it doesnt have any sata connectors..

also if you plan on playing wow well you should have at least 1gb of ram.

this game isnt very video card intensive so dont buy a top of the line, but i wouldnt recommend anything lower than a 6600 gt.

Black R
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
well, here's what I found online:

Whatever you do, don't forget to connect the ATX12V CPU power cable, as shown in Figure 16. If you fail to connect this cable, the system won't boot. When the Pentium 4 was first available, we forgot to connect this cable for the first half-dozen or so systems we built. Now, it's so automatic for us to do so, we search frantically for this connector on AMD Athlon XP and other systems that don't use it.

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/windows/2004/10/12/graphics/connectATX12Vpower.jpg
Connecting the ATX12V CPU power cable

I think I was using the wrong power supply, so I've switched to one with this cable coming out of the power supply... I'm connecting it now...

as far as using only 512mb RAM - I figured if it wasn't enough, I could buy one more for the other slot. As it sits, I'll be using 512 in one slot and 128 in the other... this is my first time building a machine, so hopefully it'll be a good basic one.

Any idea on how these wires should be connected to the motherboard?

'reset sw' = purple and white
'h.d.d led' = red and white
'power led' = green and white
's/b sw' = black and white
'speaker' = red and black

Wurm
07-27-2006, 02:22 AM
the layout for front panel connectors is in that pdf you posted

Black R
07-27-2006, 02:29 AM
I got the power button working and the reset button working... but the power led and hd led's aren't working so i dunno BUT IT'S ALIVE! :D

Well according to the .pdf

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...bt/A9220001.pdf (ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebt/A9220001.pdf)

(page 69 AND 71 - ITEM E/ TABLE 46 = FRONT PANEL CONNECTORS)

I just connected them like this:

'reset sw' = purple (PIN 7) and white (PIN 5)
'h.d.d led' = red (PIN 3) and white (PIN 1)
'power led' = green and white (DIDN'T CONNECT IT BECAUSE IT'S A 3-PLUG AND SHOULD BE TWO...)
's/b sw' = black (PIN 8) and white (PIN 6)
'speaker' = red and black (DIDN'T CONNECT IT)

4dmin
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
I got the power button working and the reset button working... but the power led and hd led's aren't working so i dunno BUT IT'S ALIVE! :D

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...bt/A9220001.pdf (ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebt/A9220001.pdf)

'power led' = green and white (DIDN'T CONNECT IT BECAUSE IT'S A 3-PLUG AND SHOULD BE TWO...)

you don't need everything pluged in unless you just want pretty lights. the speaker cable is good for errors so you may want to power it up for memory/cpu/overheating errors

DemonEyez
07-27-2006, 11:25 AM

if your led's arent working. do this

one by one. pull em out. turn em around 180 degrees and plug em back in.

power and reset is just contact switch. but the led's are directional. so the way you plug it in makes a difference.

Allshow97
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
if your led's arent working. do this

one by one. pull em out. turn em around 180 degrees and plug em back in.

power and reset is just contact switch. but the led's are directional. so the way you plug it in makes a difference.

Righty-O Chap! What he said... Best way is trial and error so if you got power and reset on then just play with the others ;)

Black R
08-12-2006, 11:52 AM
ok, well it's running but the fuckin machine won't recognize the hard drive... i don't see any jumpers on it to designate it as master or slave...

Black R
08-12-2006, 12:57 PM
apparently since i added that sata hard drive and card for it... i need to add the drivers... but when installing windows it says to insert the disc in the A: drive! I don't have a floppy, I have a fuckin cd rom with the drivers! :mad:

Allshow97
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
apparently since i added that sata hard drive and card for it... i need to add the drivers... but when installing windows it says to insert the disc in the A: drive! I don't have a floppy, I have a fuckin cd rom with the drivers! :mad:

Your gonna have to attach a floppy in order to install 3rd party drivers. I am pretty sure you can use a jump drive also if you don't have a floppy header on your motherboard.

SL65AMG
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
i game a a lot. i built my own comp....like all of the others i own.

ASUS P5P800 motherboard
** im only using this site for specs on the motherboard.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Asus_P5P800_Motherboard/P5P800/p/439860

Intel 3.2 ghz processor
2x 512mb sticks of Kingston ram
2x 80gb Hdd
1x 100gb Hdd

DvD/CD burner/Player
52x Cd rom

adjustable speed CPU cooling fan

Nvbidia Geforce4 256mb video card

but now-a-days they have 64 bit processors (older models were 32 bit) PCI-Express cards (up to 512mb graphics cards)

my motherboard, CPU, Ram, and cooling fan was $550 alone. now you could spend that on a 64 bit processor. just what u wanna spend on it other than that theres no limit