PDA

View Full Version : Need to fix my sub.

Osiris
05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I got a great deal on 3 JL audios and a kenwood 11 channel eq. Two of them are 8" subs and one 10" sub. I decided to put the 10" sub with the box in my car. I think when I went to test it though the surround came loose. It looks to be just from age though because it didnt rip or bust or anything like that. It seems to have come unglued. The JL surround seperated from the cone as if the glue just got old and came a loose. I really want to keep this sub setup because for one it was dirt cheap and two, I like the way it sounds. What can I use to seal this back together?

redgst97
05-16-2005, 09:44 PM
If you like the way a busted sub sounds...just imagine how much you will like it once its fixed!!

I am not too sure I would attempt this personally, but there are a few things you could "try". I stress "TRY" because I have no idea if any will work, and if they do "work", how good the results will be.

Depending on the model of the sub, you might want to statr with some sort of epoxy... something that is strong, but still flexible: Goop! or "convertible top epoxy"...

Just a few ideas...

John

Osiris
05-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks, I know what your saying but I remember someone doing something similiar to what you said and it worked for a good while. I just want to get this sub working till i get a new one. Ive got my time and money tied up in the carputer project right now and still havent installed the second amp, infinity crossovers and some other things. Are you sure that stuff wont damage the speaker. Any brand name in particular?

redgst97
05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
No, I am not positive it will not damage the speaker. Most JL subs are made with a poly-mica cone (if my memory is correct)...which is sort of like plastic. Get something that will stick to plastic. If the cone was paper, I might suggest super glue... which you might want to try anyway.

The main goal is to get the surrond and cone to stay together, without adding too much weight. Even a few drops of super glue weigh something...

I would look at Lowes or Home Depot. In Lowes, there is an isle with all the caulk and glues...look in that area.... Just read the packages. Should be about $3 or so.

John

Spyder
05-17-2005, 10:27 AM
also do a SMALL test area so if it reacts badly with the surround or the cone it will be a small spot to fix instead of gooping it on then finding that when you come back to see if it has dried and you find it all in a melted puddle.

B16a2 Civic
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
i hada similiar problem with one of my punch 12's... everytime i would hold the wire where the glue was it would sound good, i electric taped it down and it worked but it would come loose, i just said fuck it and bout a whole another set up, audiobahn flame q's, but tha dude who said if you like a busted speaker sound...he was right, it sounded awefull, thats what opted me to just say fuck it, inside the car and outside it sounded so terrible

Osiris
05-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanx guys. I will try Lowes tommorow after work but it looks like I'll be looking for another setup.

redgst97
05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Depending on the style of sound you like, you might be happy with the 2 8" subs. Some of that has to do with box design and construction..

I woutl try the $3-4 (temporary) fix first, then think about the 2 8s, or even a new 10". I doubt the glue will hold for very long.

John