PDA

View Full Version : Misc PS3 Specs/Pic..

JITB
05-16-2005, 07:21 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614619/e3-2005-ps3-official-20050516044920450-000.jpg

PlayStation 3's hardware has gotten a little more detailed. The main CELL processor included will run at 3.2GHz, and feature 7 SPEs. The nVidia GPU will run at 700MHz, and there will be a 256MB XDR RAM stick included with the PS3, running at 3.2GHz. PS3 will have robust multimedia support, including: video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video playback.

It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

Hideo Kojima has been spotted at the event- Is this a sign of things to come?

The conference has just started.

With Microsoft's Xbox 360 console already unveiled to the public, it's time for Sony to counterattack with their upcoming PlayStation 3.

Sony's pre-E3 press conference is set to begin at 3:00 PM PST on Monday, May 16th. Check back to this page here at that time to see live updates straight from the conference and read about Sony's plans here first.

FROM GAMESPOT:
Link

LOS ANGELES--Today saw the second of the big three console makers announce their next-generation platform. At its pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment gave the world its first look at the PlayStation 3, as it now is officially called.

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, and have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors lager than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

Main featurs:
Backwards compatibility w/PS2 + PSOne (DVD, CD)
Blu-ray disc format
Cell processor @ 3.2ghz
Cell can communicate to RSX @ 35gigs/sec
Xdr memory
Powerpc base core @ 3.2ghz
7x spe @ 3.2ghz
Graphics engine RSX @ 550mhz
128bit pixel precision (vs. current generation's 32bit)
300 million transistors on RSX
Up to 1080 progressive support
266k gddr3 vram @ 700mhz
4 front, 2 rear USB 2.0 slots
Memory sticks SD card x1, compact flash x1, Pro x1
Av multi output x1
Didigital audio output
2.5" hard drive slot
Built in wireless, 802.11g
Bluetooth
Built in gigabit Ethernet
Internet browsing
Up to 7 controllers
HD compatible
HDR (high dynamic range lighting)
512MB video ram

JITB
05-16-2005, 07:26 PM
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8389731317563729.JPG?0.6171858688526513

bigb996
05-16-2005, 07:33 PM
i hate the name PS3 why cant they get a little more inventive? its like they decided that when they came out with ps2 because it required no R&D. I want to see a screenshot of this next to a xbox 360 game.

JITB
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Controller.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

it looks real expensive...almost like a super dvd player..

ISAtlanta300
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
i hate the name PS3 why cant they get a little more inventive? its like they decided that when they came out with ps2 because it required no R&D. I want to see a screenshot of this next to a xbox 360 game.

What else do you want them to name it? Its name is PLAY STATION 3 !! so PS3 is the only name suitable I think.... I mean should they call it PS3360 or something? :)

ISAtlanta300
05-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Controller.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

it looks real expensive...almost like a super dvd player..
And it plays Super Audio CD Discs AND dualdiscs CD's AND Blue Ray... yum....

soul
05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
and it is way better than xbox360

AtifSajid
05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Man the ps3 is the shit..I just saw the actual grand debut on big screen from the people who created the PS3...bluetooth..what...gigabyte...what...read all type of cd's...ALL TYPES...what...wireless controllers all the way up to 7..what..graphics like you aint seen...im getting that biatch..FS forum...here comes the xbox...

JustinSane110™
05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I'd rather they spend the time on the actual system than trying to make a new name everytime around. It's the 3rd Playstation, so PS3 seems like a pretty good fit to me. :D

ChnkyLao
10-21-2005, 08:52 PM
fuck the 360 the ps3 will be around $350 i can wait the extra 6 months

MachNU
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Two things

....ChnkyLao your post whoring like a mother fucker tonight...

2nd.....The 360 performance whise is going to beat the PS3...but also int eh fact that no true specs have been realesed yet becuase PS3 keeps chanign there styles up. They didnt even have a working verion at the last E3 event. They also keep saying they are adding and taking away things left and right. So like its says now they probably wont have a final verion until sometime next summer and wont realese until either late 06 or early 07!