PDA

View Full Version : Misc THINK I'LL GET IN?(UGA)

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, im going to be a senior this year, and im looking at going to UGA. Well i will give you some of my information and any knowledge about admissions will be greatly appreciated.

-100 out of 600 in class rank

-3.97 GPA, ive taken AP chem, AP German, AP gov, and AP econ.

-Will graduate with a dual seal diploma( college prep and tech prep)

-CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS: Beta club, Foriegn language international club, Health care occupation students of america, National Honors society, attended National Youth Leadership forum on Medicine, Foundation for the future.

-bad part: 23 on ACT and 1600 on NEW SAT(out of 2400).

- i am a white male, nothing special

so i think that i should get in, im retaking the SAT and gonna try and combine scores for a better overall score. So that should help a little bit, but i dont take it again untill late October. My question is should i apply early or wait for normal application with my new SAT scores and a couple more classes and maybe a better GPA, so be safe and apply normal or apply early with what i got? and what do u think my chances of getting in are? any info is appreciated
thanks!

DerrickT
07-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Nope. slim to none.

should have applied at gainesville state college...

JK. if you dont get in... theres other schools out there who would accept you.:goodjob: ( go to GSC lol ;) )

gbrookie71
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Roll tide LOL

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
yea im looking at uga, georgia southern(my bro goes there), or georgia state...i wanna do pre-med and major in chemistry and either go to med school or become a pharmacist....

CSquared
07-26-2006, 07:13 PM
You're fucked.

Are you waiting for me to say jk? Well, it's not going to happen.

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
You're fucked

Are you waiting for me to say jk? Well, it's not going to happen.

thanks for ur thought....anybody have ne input that actually goes to uga, or was accepted? or ne of the other schools i mentioned.
thanks guys/girls!

Wurm
07-26-2006, 08:25 PM

No affirmitive action for you

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 08:27 PM
No affirmitive action for you

? dont really understand what u mean....i wasn't trying to be mean or anything but minority does have an advantage into college admissions, thats all that i meant by that. Didnt mean to offend anyone.

Wurm
07-26-2006, 08:28 PM
roflmao im not offended

ironchef
07-26-2006, 08:38 PM
I go to ga state, and didnt get accepted to uga even though my sat score was over 100 points higher than a friend of mine who did get accepted. But he lied about most of the shit on his application and did early admission, so that helped.

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I go to ga state, and didnt get accepted to uga even though my sat score was over 100 points higher than a friend of mine who did get accepted. But he lied about most of the shit on his application and did early admission, so that helped.

so would you say that early admission helps? even though not all of my info will be on the transcript? i dunno if i should apply early with what i have or see if i can get better grades and such...any one else have any advice about early admissions and if its better to do it?

ironchef
07-26-2006, 09:14 PM
3.97 and ap classes will definitely boost you in the application ranks especially for early admissions.

deffro
07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure about the new SAT scoring, but that score seems a little low if compared to the old requirements out of 1600. I don't think your score is high enough. But, you never know. Give Georgia Southern a try. I just graduated from there and really enjoyed it.

EDIT: Maybe you should retake the SAT and shoot for a better score

Crazy Asian
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Tooo low thats like getting a freaking 1200 on the old sats. No deal yo. Just improve and you might get a chance.

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
yea, i scored about 56 percent higher than everyone else on the new SAT, not to good but its right around average. And UGA wants a bit above average.....so im not that good in that feild. Im taking the sat again in october hopefully for a better score.....that y i dont know if i should apply to uga early or not, the early admission is oct 15th and i dont take the sat again untill late oct.....so should i just go ahead and apply and hope my GPA and EC activites are enough or wait and apply later hoping to do a lil better on the SAT? i love Ga southern but im kinda shady on its rep......i know its a good school and a respectable one but others seem to think otherwise...i want to go to a school with a good rep. just incase i do decide to apply for med school. but the good thing is my bro goes there so i would have a place to stay and everything. Im just lost in what the best thing to do is and the whole applying process......

deffro
07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I would wait till october, however you should probably contact UGA admissions and see what they think you should do

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Tooo low thats like getting a freaking 1200 on the old sats. No deal yo. Just improve and you might get a chance.

ummm, the average sat score last year was 1180 for accepted 1st year applicants to uga, so in that case i would be good, and they also care more about GPA than the sat.....and a 1200 on the old sat is not that bad and would def get u into ga.....and the new sat is really hard to compare to the old one cause the lit section is completely dif....thanks for ur thought though...

4dmin
07-26-2006, 09:35 PM
wow whats up w/ the NEW SAT... 2400 thats crazy!!! what changed?

and ex girlfriend of mine scored a 1600/1600 ;) she had a full paid scholarship to georgetown,... smart as shit. and looked like jewel w/ big tits :D

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I would wait till october, however you should probably contact UGA admissions and see what they think you should do

so apply early, or wait till regular admissions? and i tried to find an e-mail for the admission office but i dunno if i should give them all my info like i did in this post, or just ask them which is better? THANKS SO MUCH BRO

tatodotcom
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM

and ex girlfriend of mine scored a 1600/1600 ;) she had a full paid scholarship to georgetown,... smart as shit. and looked like jewel w/ big tits :D

Lit. section changed a little bit, and an essay

C22H19N3O4
07-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Items to consider:
-Always apply early
-Ad coms know first year students like to procrastinate
-Always apply to more than one school
-If a college app. gives you the opportunity to write a personal statement...wow them.
-GPA obviously carries the most weight
-Odds of you getting in depend on how stiff the competition is for first year admission
-You always have to have a backup plan
-Last but not least, never let a rejection letter get you down. Students who take education seriously tend to let academic rejection scar their self esteem. Keep applying!!

BTW, I was a HOSA member in high school! I loved the clinical rotations.
Register at SDN. It's a great resource for students interested in the healthcare profession. GL.

GsrTurbo320
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM

and ex girlfriend of mine scored a 1600/1600 ;) she had a full paid scholarship to georgetown,... smart as shit. and looked like jewel w/ big tits :D.

there is a whole writing part, & some other stupid bullshit.

quickdodgeŽ
07-26-2006, 10:37 PM

I've always wondered that, too. I only took the SAT once and that was in my Freshman year of HS and scored a 1560/1600. Then I found out a few years later, the score had been made higher.

On topic...good luck with whatever happens. Later, QD.

deffro
07-26-2006, 10:57 PM
so apply early, or wait till regular admissions? and i tried to find an e-mail for the admission office but i dunno if i should give them all my info like i did in this post, or just ask them which is better? THANKS SO MUCH BRO

What I meant is that it may be better to wait to apply due to your lower SAT score. However, if you call the admissions office and tell them your situation (I have a high GPA, I didn't do so well on the SAT, but I plan to retake it for a better score) they should be able to give you an idea to whether you should go ahead and apply and then update or to just wait to apply.

deffro
07-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I've always wondered that, too. I only took the SAT once and that was in my Freshman year of HS and scored a 1560/1600. Then I found out a few years later, the score had been made higher.

Damn! Smart much???

Sledlude
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
you should be fine with all that going for you, especially if youre in state.. apply early and you should be straight. apply to some back up schools just in case!

i got in with no problem and my stats were just like yours. i ended up settling for state though. of course that was a few years ago, im sure their admission process has changed here and there.

edit: also, they look at your grades, difficulty of your cirriculum, AND your standardized tests... some ppl just dont do well on standardized exams and they take that into consideration. write a kick ass application essay. if you did well on your AP exams, i dont see why you wouldnt get in.

4dmin
07-27-2006, 07:18 AM

dayum you a nerdy bitch. i scored right above national avg the year i graduated i did 1100/1600 (avg was 1050 back in 98' if i remember correctly)

tatodotcom
07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
thanks everyone for ur thoughts/suggestions....Im going to talk with my counselor when i go back to school aug. 7th and see what she suggest to do. The early admission isnt untill oct. 15th so ill find out before then if i should apply early or apply at the normal time......Right now i think that i have a better chance of getting in just because my gpa is pretty good and on the uga website it says thats the most important thing. Im just a little bit low on my act and sat scores so hopefully they will see that i just dont test well, but work really hard and am in alot of clubs and such. Thanks everyone wish me luck for the next couple of months!

imbosile
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, this was my experience with UGA. I was a senior in highschool last year, and I applied to UGA, Souther Polytech, and Georgia Tech.

SAT: 1240 (out of 1600)
GPA: 92/100
Clubs: Beta, Spanish, Key
AP: Calc AB

Oh yea, I also had the dual diploma like you are getting.

I applied early, to UGA, and was deffered. They will then get you to complete the rest of the application which is about 5 more short answer questions and some other essay stuff. I decided UGA didn't really have what I was looking for, so I decided to not finish the remainder of the application.

So then I just applied to Southern Poly and Georgia Tech. Luckily I got into both, and will now be taking Mechanical Engineering in the Fall at Georgia Tech.

What exactly are you looking to take at UGA?

imbosile
07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Also, I would apply early for sure. On the early admission the only people I knew that got in had around 1350+ on their SAT's, so basically they are accepting the people they would normally except anyway with the regular application. Really the only thing I see the early application does is show your interest in the school. I think your chances are pretty good if you can improve your SAT score, that seems to be the only thing really holding you back that I can tell. Even if you apply now with your old scores, if you do better you can always send those in later.

Is the class of '07 the first class where the writing portion actually counts?

quickdodgeŽ
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
dayum you a nerdy bitch.

Lots of people have no idea...lolol. Later, QD.

tatodotcom
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Also, I would apply early for sure. On the early admission the only people I knew that got in had around 1350+ on their SAT's, so basically they are accepting the people they would normally except anyway with the regular application. Really the only thing I see the early application does is show your interest in the school. I think your chances are pretty good if you can improve your SAT score, that seems to be the only thing really holding you back that I can tell. Even if you apply now with your old scores, if you do better you can always send those in later.

Is the class of '07 the first class where the writing portion actually counts?

Yes, we are the first class to have the "new" SAT but most state colleges like UGA wont even look at ur essays, so its still like the old one with the grades. Some top notch private schools will look at ur essay but most colleges just read it like the old one since they dont really have a general basis to go of off. Like i said im meeting with my counselor to get some advice, but i think that she will tell me what u are saying, to go ahead and apply early and just send ur scores. Also, u said u were deffered for early application. I thought that i read if u apply early and are not accepted u cant apply again for normal admission? so im kinda confused in that aspect. I know for early admission u dont have to write the essays and that stuff as well. Im also thinking about sending my ACT scores over my SAT since im closer to the UGA range in the testing section. It says on their website that they will accept either one. So im gonna take both again, hopefully do a little better, talk to my counselor, and go from there. Thanks again, and imbosible, could u clear up the early admission and if u dont get accepted u can apply again or no? id really appreciate it. thanks

oh yea, i wanna go pre-med and major in chemistry/biology, then go into pharmacy or apply for med school. Thats my plan right now at least. I know UGA has a very good pharmacy dept.

imbosile
07-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Yes, we are the first class to have the "new" SAT but most state colleges like UGA wont even look at ur essays, so its still like the old one with the grades. Some top notch private schools will look at ur essay but most colleges just read it like the old one since they dont really have a general basis to go of off. Like i said im meeting with my counselor to get some advice, but i think that she will tell me what u are saying, to go ahead and apply early and just send ur scores. Also, u said u were deffered for early application. I thought that i read if u apply early and are not accepted u cant apply again for normal admission? so im kinda confused in that aspect. I know for early admission u dont have to write the essays and that stuff as well. Im also thinking about sending my ACT scores over my SAT since im closer to the UGA range in the testing section. It says on their website that they will accept either one. So im gonna take both again, hopefully do a little better, talk to my counselor, and go from there. Thanks again, and imbosible, could u clear up the early admission and if u dont get accepted u can apply again or no? id really appreciate it. thanks

Sure, how it works is you do the early application (no essays which is good). UGA can then either accept you early, deffer you, and maybe even flat out reject you (not sure on the rejection part). If you are deffered you are basically on a waiting list, sort of like they are not sure if they want to accept you or not so they let you then complete the entire rest of the application. (The early admission application is the same as the regular admission application with the essays taken off.) So now all you have to do is finish the essays and send them in by the regular admission deadline, and you are now sort of in the regular admission "pool" with everyone else who applys regularly.

I wonder when they will actually start counting the writing section of the SAT because my class was in the exact same situation as you, the colleges really didn't consider it at all.

ShooterMcGavin
07-29-2006, 12:58 AM
sure u could get in, but the real question is why would u want to??? :lmao:

dwnsthGABOY
07-29-2006, 02:55 PM
IMHO, given the fierce competition to get in that school and your credentials. I don't think you'll get in. Don't get me wrong, your application is quite impressive, but the fact is there are probably 10k juniors or more with the same if not better credentials than yours. And on the real ur just another "white male" tryin to get in UGA where white males represent well over 65% of the student population. Applying early will help, but remember ur not the only one with that mindset. If you were black I'd pretty much guaran-damn-tee ur acceptance, but what can you do? Why b/c I got in uGA and let me tell you my credentials were waaaay b/l yours. 1270 on the SAT and 3.3 GPA and I was apart of like two school organizations. I played no sports and I took only 4 AP classes. I didn't go b/c I didn't feel comfortable with the atmosphere there. You are a shoe in GSU (Georgia State), cuz it's like impossible to not get accepted there. (No Disrespect to GSU peeps) Ur chances of getting into tech are higher and I'd prefer tech over UGA. I wish u the best of luck though.

xaznstylegrlx
07-29-2006, 03:52 PM
iono... GSU would be a safe choice
i wouldn't say no, but its close to borderline...
u better have a bubbly personality to make up for it lol

xaznstylegrlx
07-29-2006, 03:54 PM
IMHO, given the fierce competition to get in that school and your credentials. I don't think you'll get in. Don't get me wrong, your application is quite impressive, but the fact is there are probably 10k juniors or more with the same if not better credentials than yours. And on the real ur just another "white male" tryin to get in UGA where white males represent well over 65% of the student population. Applying early will help, but remember ur not the only one with that mindset. If you were black I'd pretty much guaran-damn-tee ur acceptance, but what can you do? Why b/c I got in uGA and let me tell you my credentials were waaaay b/l yours. 1270 on the SAT and 3.3 GPA and I was apart of like two school organizations. I played no sports and I took only 4 AP classes. I didn't go b/c I didn't feel comfortable with the atmosphere there. You are a shoe in GSU (Georgia State), cuz it's like impossible to not get accepted there. (No Disrespect to GSU peeps) Ur chances of getting into tech are higher and I'd prefer tech over UGA. I wish u the best of luck though.

tru tru the fact that ur a white male with a little above avg grades n such don't realli push the idea to "must have you"

i went there for a little program dey had going on. I was in the top 10 for my school and even that I felt threaten to even apply. But then I was an asian female, so I probably would have gotten in for that reason XD

oh yea my credentials:
High school GPA : 4.1
I was 2nd in my class
with 1300/1600 on the SATs
i was also in soccer and track for a few years
and the clubs... well science olympiad, FBLA, NHS, science club, math club, and other little ones i can't seem to remember

AND YET I STILL FELT THREATEN TO APPLY because I'm not that good with the whole inspirational essay shit and well I'm too quiet of a person

tatodotcom
07-29-2006, 11:02 PM

thanks i agree with everything u say and appreciate it. Tech is a very very good school but i dont think it really fits my career path. Not to mention i need the best grades i can get in college because i need a really good gpa to even have med schools glance at me. Being said, tech, i heard, is pretty hard to keep that up because the classes are pretty tough. I hope i get into uga but if not ill prolly go to ga southern, just because i like it more than gsu. Thanks again for everyone's help! ill let everyone know what my counselor recommends just incase anyone is actually interested as to what she says. LoL.
Thanks! Tate

Sledlude
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
howd u get a 4.1 gpa?

i always thought tech was wayyy harder to get in that uga

imbosile
07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
howd u get a 4.1 gpa?

it used to be, but there are a lot more people that apply to UGA than tech now, so UGA has a lot more to choose from now.

xaznstylegrlx
07-30-2006, 05:03 PM
howd u get a 4.1 gpa?

i took AP classes, made A's in them and den made A's in my regular classes too =)
A's in AP class= 5.0

slicksupra21
07-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm going to be a junior at UGA this fall. When I applied, I had a 1300 on the SAT, 94 GPA, top 5% of my class, took gifted and AP classes. I applied for early admission. My friend had a much lower SAT, GPA, and ranking. He got in as well, and UGA was the only school we applied to. My roommate applied with much lower credentials and got in as well. You can actually go to something at UGA, I guess you could call it a seminar or something, where admissions people talk to you about what they look for. They stress so much importance on GPA and course load and very little on SAT. Your essay(s) will also help in deciding between you and another applicant. Personally, I don't see a problem with you getting in. I would definately do early application and apply to backup schools. As far as questioning which school is right for you, if you are wanting to do pre-med, UGA is a great school. Alot of pre-med people at UGA get into med-schools. Also, UGA has a pharmacy school, which I think you said you were interested in. I think you can be accepted into that school as a junior, I think. I love UGA. The atmosphere is great. So many people to meet (33,000), so many things to do. There is something for everyone. You should arrange a trip up there, try to sit in on some classes, eat at one of the dining halls (which are great, they have won many national awards). Sorry this is so long. I hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions, just PM me. Good luck man.

tatodotcom
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
thanks again for the reply, yea i remember reading on uga's website that they really stress gpa and didnt mention alot about sat or act. So hopefully ill get in on that but im still gonna try and get my sat and act scores up a bit. Ive been hearing everyone say to go ahead and apply early but i wanna talk with my counselor just to make sure but i think that she will say the same thing. the deadline isnt untill oct 15th so i have plenty of time to send an application in.thanks guys/girls! oh yea, and ive been to athens alot and absolutly love it! thats another factor as y i want to go to uga.
Tate

IndianStig
08-05-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH DIPLOMA?

meaning technical classes?

which ones. you have to go to a school like Gwinnet Tech or a Technical college first.

i think, if it was something like a math class like such as Advanced algebra

IndianStig
08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Well, im going to be a senior this year, and im looking at going to UGA. Well i will give you some of my information and any knowledge about admissions will be greatly appreciated.

-100 out of 600 in class rank

-3.97 GPA, ive taken AP chem, AP German, AP gov, and AP econ.

-Will graduate with a dual seal diploma( college prep and tech prep)

-CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS: Beta club, Foriegn language international club, Health care occupation students of america, National Honors society, attended National Youth Leadership forum on Medicine, Foundation for the future.

-bad part: 23 on ACT and 1600 on NEW SAT(out of 2400).

so i think that i should get in, im retaking the SAT and gonna try and combine scores for a better overall score. So that should help a little bit, but i dont take it again untill late October. My question is should i apply early or wait for normal application with my new SAT scores and a couple more classes and maybe a better GPA, so be safe and apply normal or apply early with what i got? and what do u think my chances of getting in are? any info is appreciated
thanks!

whats the SAT score out of 1600?

if its bellow 1200 then goodluck. but you seem to be good in all other areas. sign up for SAT again. you seem like you can do better

imbosile
08-05-2006, 11:41 PM
you get the career tech diploma also if you complete an entire technology related group of classes. like drafting 1, 2, and 3. or technology 1, 2, and 3.

blare
08-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I applied early enrollment was deffered and then got my accepted in the spring. My SAT was 1140 I had no AP Classes. The only advanced class I had was Geometry. I had 3.9 something.
However, I did use the PSO option in high school so I graduated High School as a sophmore in college. I personally think that AP classes are stupid. Why go through all that crap in one year just to maybe get college credit? Its easier to PSO and get 6 hrs with no problems at all.

Good luck though. I loved the school and my freshman year there was one of the greatest years of my life.

tatodotcom
08-06-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH DIPLOMA?

meaning technical classes?

which ones. you have to go to a school like Gwinnet Tech or a Technical college first.

i think, if it was something like a math class like such as Advanced algebra

a carrer tech diploma is if u complete 3 or more classes in the same group, like the guy said before, drafting 1,2,3.....or in my case, healt care 1,2,3,4....its just another seal u get for ur diploma

thanks again guys! meeting with counselor soon!

tbone0217
08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
i did early admission to uga last year with gpa-4.2 and sat-1520/1600...was accepted at the beginning of december which was nice. UGA is awesome. I know people that got in with lower sat and gpa than you so i would try it early...worst is you get deffered to spring

imbosile
08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
1520? wow congratulations thats incredible

tatodotcom
08-07-2006, 10:20 PM
i did early admission to uga last year with gpa-4.2 and sat-1520/1600...was accepted at the beginning of december which was nice. UGA is awesome. I know people that got in with lower sat and gpa than you so i would try it early...worst is you get deffered to spring

wow, are u on any type of scholarship other than hope??...thanks alot im thinking that my counselor is gonna say apply early it wont hurt......so ill keep u guys posted...thanks

PRiMAdonna
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
i graduated high school in 2004 (when the SAT was still out of 1600) and got accepted UGA, Southern, GA State, Valdosta, but rejected to GA Tech.
my SAT score was 1370, my GPA was 3.5...nothing too special.
UGA, Tech, AND GA State have continued to up their standards every year, making harder & harder to get accepted...apply early, and if you don't get in, re-take the SAT/ACT...but i think your GPA is good enough...

PRiMAdonna
08-07-2006, 11:05 PM
oh yeah, good luck... :goodjob:

tbone0217
08-07-2006, 11:51 PM
im on the charter scholarship and robert c bird scholarship

tatodotcom
08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
oh yeah, good luck... :goodjob:

thanks again! got an appointment with counselor late this month! thanks everyone...

Princess12
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Apply early for sure! Any new SAT scores will be sent to UGA as soon as possible for consideration. I think you have a good shot, but push for a little higher on the SAT! Good luck!

devinwebb907
08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
everything looks really good...except for your sat/act scores. build those up and you're money.

MasterMadman
08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm a freshman this year and I got in with lower "credentials" than you have ...
SAT: 1220
No ACT
GPA: 3.72
AP: Comp. Sci. A
Clubs: Marching Band (4 years)

I'd say that you have quite good chances of getting in. I was deffered on the early action but I got in on the regular application. Do early action for sure, and if you get deffered then justdo regular... I think that you'll get in... :)