PDA

View Full Version : New vs Rebuild?

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Alright, so my engine right now is at about 172k soon to hit 173k probably. Anyways, what im wanting to know is if it would be ok to just rebuild it or should i jus get a completely new engine?

N/A EK
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
rebuild

BTEC
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
REBULID IT. UNLESS U JUST HAVE THE MONEY FOR A NEW ONE BUT CANT AFFORD THE DWN TIME.

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
now if i was going to rebuild....can i just do it like peice by peice while engine i still in bay? or once i get to a certain point of rebuilding, do i have to take the engine out ?

N/A EK
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
-blacknightteg-

You live on Grayson hwy?

BTEC
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
now if i was going to rebuild....can i just do it like peice by peice while engine i still in bay? or once i get to a certain point of rebuilding, do i have to take the engine out ?
U CAN DO IT ALL IN THE CAR IF UR NOT HAVING ISSUES WITH IT. I WOULD RECCOMEND GETTING THE BLOCK HONED SO UR NEW RINGS CAN MAKE THEIR OWN SEAT AND REDUCE THE CHANCE OF UR CAR SMOKING/USING OIL. IT CAN BE DONE IN THE CAR BUT I WOULDNT RECCOMEND JUST NE BODY DO IT.

BEARING AND EVERYTHING CAN BE DONE IN THE CAR BUT I WOULD BE ALOT EASIER TO TAKE THE ENGINE OUT UNLESS UVE DONE IT B4.

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
oh, if i was going to rebuild. i would only do certain things on my own, rest i would take to shop for it to be done, or someone who knew honda's ver well

TOPSE-R yes, i do...well kinda, i live off bennett which is off 84/grayson highway

B16a2 Civic
07-25-2006, 01:41 PM
your car has 100k more then mine!

BTEC
07-25-2006, 01:41 PM
AS FAR AS SEALS GO, OF COURSE U WOULDNT BE ABLE TO REPLACE THE REAR MAIN BC ULL HAVE TO TAKE THE TRANNY OUT AND INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SEPERATE THE TWO, ITS EASIER TO TAKE THEM OUT TOGETHER THAND SEPERATE.

Y ARE U COMTEMPLATING REBUILDING IT?

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
well, im just trying to see which way i should go when i get around to starting major preformance mods.

BTEC
07-25-2006, 01:44 PM
oh, if i was going to rebuild. i would only do certain things on my own, rest i would take to shop for it to be done, or someone who knew honda's ver well

TOPSE-R yes, i do...well kinda, i live off bennett which is off 84/grayson highway
SO U WOULD DO SOME UR SELF AND TOW IT TO HAVE THE REST DONE. IF U CANT DO IT ALL I WOULD LET A PROFESSIONAL DO IT ALL. MY PERSONAL OPINION BC SOMETIMES WHEN WRKN ON CAR THERE IS A SEQUESE TO DOING THING AND U MIGHT BE SHOOTING URSELF IN THE FOOT BY DOING ONE THING BC THE SHOP MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE IT APART TO DO ONE THING AND ULL BE ON HERE POSTING U GOT RIPPED OFF.

N/A EK
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, thats kinda far away from where i stay.

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
yeah, no i understand, more then likely i would let a shop do everything. i dont still know my way around an engine too much so, that would probably be the best thign

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, thats kinda far away from where i stay.

where you seen me at? a light or something? lol

BTEC
07-25-2006, 01:49 PM
yeah, no i understand, more then likely i would let a shop do everything. i dont still know my way around an engine too much so, that would probably be the best thign
GOOD IDEA.

N/A EK
07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
where you seen me at? a light or something? lol

No, i was j.w where u lived. I seen ur car at cardomain.com and ur friend's car's from grayson, but the only car i see riding around gwinnett is the blue celica and i never seen u.

blacknightteg
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
ya thats my buddy vu, well if you see a red integra with a type R wing n some IA stickers thats me but im not usually out to far from around the area

twkg
07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Vu's got a bad Celica man. I gotta hit him up sometime and ask who drove through his garage door HAHAH

Vteckidd
07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
1st question, what motor is it?

2nd question, how mechanically inclined are you?

3rd question, what is your overall budget?

Stormhammer
07-25-2006, 08:16 PM
if it were me - and budget allowing, I'd swap an engine ( such as a low mileage b16 - get an Type R tranny ( LSD BITCH! ) and go from there

twkg
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
^I'm with him...low milage b18 of some sort and an ITR tranny as well.

blacknightteg
07-26-2006, 11:02 PM
too answer mikes question

engine is an ls engine
not like BAD mechanically inclined, but if i was going to do shit id need to be suprivised
well, my over all budget would be decided after i decided what to do.

and about the swap..
I dont know if i would have to depend on what might be less inexpensive and what would be the best for later horsepower and what not

Vteckidd
07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
we just did a B20 swap in an integra. its VERY cheap vs a rebuild.

when doing a rebuild, you have to do it all out or IMO its not worth it, a typical rebuild consists of:

Pistons/Rings $260
Bearings $100
Headgasket $65
TB/WP $150
Oil Pump $100
Lower Gasket Kit $55
Cam Seals, alve cover Gasket $35

That doesnt include labor, or machine work IF the motor needs it. So we are at $765. Most shps re going to charge between $700-900 in labor to do all that work, for what? a stock motor? I mean even if you switch to higher Comp Pistons like the PR3s still your not looking at much of a performance gain.

Or, you could spend $649 +$225 shipping on a 35K mile GUARANTEED perfect B20 longblock from Hmotorsonline.com. Then youll have your old LS motor to turn around and sell possibly for $200-300 so its rather cheaper an its bigger motor so more TQ means lotsmore fun.

something to think about. I would do the B20 swap

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30025

blacknightteg
07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
hmm, yeah, i had thought about it after collins got his done, the only thing im concerned about is having to redo my intake and exhaust by getting new ones to fit the engine. or when they fit the b20 as well?

how much would it be complete with labor and everything with yall

Vteckidd
07-27-2006, 09:38 AM
hmm, yeah, i had thought about it after collins got his done, the only thing im concerned about is having to redo my intake and exhaust by getting new ones to fit the engine. or when they fit the b20 as well?

how much would it be complete with labor and everything with yall
the best part is you hve a spare motor! buy a $12 intake manifold gasket an swap intakes over, the headers are the same.

The guy that we did his B20 swap, he got a Skunk2 PRO intake manifold, Plugs, wires, Timing belt and water pump, cam seals, PWJDM intake gasket, i think his total was aroun $2000

and he wlked away with his old motor that he could sell.

if you just want the B20 swap, it runs
$1650 motor, swap, running out the door

blacknightteg
07-27-2006, 09:46 AM
would you recommend going ahead and doing all that while swapping? is it alright to do all that later down the road and what not? i know thats probably a stupid question

Vteckidd
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
not a stupid question at all. if you have the money, its easy to do it while its OUT of the car.

If your strapped for cash, it has been my experience that every motor that i have gotten from HMO hasnt NEEDED a timing belt or water pump.

blacknightteg
07-27-2006, 10:01 AM
oh, ok, well ill definetly take all of that into consideration. i mean its going to be a while before i do any of this but might as well get prior knowledge of it. i appreciate it mike

IndianStig
07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
i'd sawp it.

just seems like a smarter thing to do if you have some cash

twkg
07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm w/ ^^. plus if you do a swap, it will allow you to clean up that engine bay of yours.