PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar versus Organic clutch disc

Stormhammer
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Okay folks - anywho - its for a modded 1989 Mitsu Starion

but here's the thing

I ordered an ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - just that, the clutch disc can be ordered from Advanced Auto.... and for alot cheaper too ( same as the RX7 clutch disc )

now - can someone give me a comparison of kevlar disks versus organic?

I dont want the clutch to fail on me, nor do I want it to wear out as fast. All I know is that kevlar insulate heat which is bad, and organic is used for high power applications. The specs of my car are estimated to the high 200hp ( around 290hp) - its a turbo car as well, and its for daily driving - so any help, input and opinions is much appreciated :yes:

99SI
07-26-2006, 09:52 AM
I had a Competition Clutch Kevlar Carbonite series clutch. It took a ton of abuse for around 30k miles, extremely high rpm, fucked up stock flywheel (spot welded the ring gear to the disc!). When we took my motor apart and took the clutch off a good handful of kevlar/carbon dust fell out and every spring was rattling like crazy! lol. It was shot to hell but it was still holding and shifting rather well. My application and yours are very different but I would say that 30k with the abuse my clutch saw, (dd,autox,drag, 9500rpms regularly) it did fairly well.