PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're From Atlanta When...

kilpatty43
05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
You Know You're From Atlanta When...

You give directions starting with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House."

You only drink Coke or Diet Coke - drinking Pepsi is blasphemy.

You know to wear sneakers to the airport.

The 8:00 AM rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 AM. The 5:00 PM rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00 AM Saturday.

You use "Sir" and "Ma'am" if there's a remote possibility that person you're talking to is least 30 minutes older than you are.

You can pronounce "Ponce De Leon Avenue" correctly.

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules.

If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer.

If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee-shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts.

Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

You never go 55 on "The Watermelon 500" (285) or "the Georgia 400."

You know you're not allergic to pollen, because if you were - you'd be dead already.

You've never gone around the block and ended up on the street you started on.

You know where 'Butthead' and 'Fuckhead' are, and it's the same part of town.

You've woken up at 4:30 am on workdays to beat the traffic to work, intending to leave work before 3 pm to compensate.

You know at least five different ways to get to work, none of them ideal.

You know where PIB, JCB, FIB, MLK, PDK and "Grady curve" are, and you try to never go there during any of the nine hours of rush "hour"

You've thought about getting a blow-up companion for the front passenger seat

You hope you are the one to spot the vehicle that is the subject of the latest "Amber Alert" which has been flashing for ten minutes on the DOT message board exactly 13.5 feet above the hood of your SUV

You've been in traffic on 85, 75, 20 or 400 (choose one) - wondering if your fuel, your cell-phone battery and your bladder will make it to the next exit, just 1/2 mile ahead

It's 4:30 pm Sunday, you're stone-cold sober and you've just finished the last left-over hot dog when you realize that in exactly 12 hours you have to get up and go to work - again

You actually get these jokes.

Cliff
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
man they are all so true...somone musta written all those sitting in atlanta traffic instead of concentrating on the road

chuck
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
You know where PIB, JCB, FIB, MLK, PDK and "Grady curve" are, and you try to never go there during any of the nine hours of rush "hour"

ok, i get peachtree industrial, jimmy carter blvd, mlk...but what are the other ones? FIB, PDK???

T-Mo Goodie
05-15-2005, 09:15 PM
FIB= Fulton Industrial Blvd

dereksi
05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Funny and true

dereksi
05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
PDK- dekalb-peachtree airport/ peachtree-dekalb airport :thinking:

The Yousef
05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
PDK- dekalb-peachtree airport/ peachtree-dekalb airport :thinking:

..thats what i thought too

HyPer50
05-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Just figured I'd throw some more in, got these in an email.

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, who has ever lived in Atlanta, has visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who lives in Atlanta, knows anyone who has ever visited Atlanta or anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one-way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina. All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken." Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end, and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, West Peachtree, Peachtree-Dunwoody, Peachtree-Chamblee, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree. Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. And even then, it's still "Coke."

Gate One at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch.

It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect, so that out-of-towners don't feel lost, they're just on a "scenic drive."

The 8:00 AM rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 AM. The 5:00 PM rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00 AM Saturday.

Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

A native can only pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue; so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on".

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight savings time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over. If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer. If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts. Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

Atlantans are very proud of our racetrack, known as road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence it's name. Actually, I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta and has a posted speed limit of 55mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over), is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500." Georgia 400 is our equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA 400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full clip.

The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy, which starts at 120! Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 ranges. All roads, vehicles, houses, etc. are yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies you will die. But other than that, it's a great place to live!

Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Georgia. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Georgia, plus a couple no one's seen before.

Squirrels will eat anything.

Unknown critters love to digholes under tomato plants. Raccoons will test your crop of melons and let you know when they're ripe.

If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls; it bites.

A tractor is NOT an all-terrain vehicle. They do get stuck.

"Onced" and "Twiced" are words.

It is not a shopping cart - it is a buggy.

Fire ants consider your flesh a picnic.

People actually grow, eat and like okra!

"Fixinto" is one word (I'm fixinto go to the store)

There ain't no such thing as "lunch." There's only dinner and then there's supper.

Sweet Tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're 2.

"Backards" and "forwards" means I know everything about you.

'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is.

You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You know you're from Georgia if: You measure distance in minutes.

You know what a 'dawg' is. You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it, no matter what time of the year.

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.

You know what "cow tipping" and "snipe hunting" are.

You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Texas Pete and catsup.

The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

You think that the first day deer season is a national holiday.

You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm." You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.

You know whether another Georgian is from north, south or middle Georgia as soon as they open their mouth.

Going to Walmart is a favorite past time known as "goin wal-martin" or off to "Wally World"

You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather.

A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor, Example: "What kinda coke you want?"

Fried Catfish is "the other white meat."

uproot
05-15-2005, 11:51 PM
i like the one about the rain drop lol...

gtikid
05-16-2005, 02:49 AM
hahaha those are funny...i actually had a co-worker from new york ask me what "gonna" and "finna" mean...i was speechless...i kno "gonna" is "going to" but i had no clue how to explain "finna" or "fin-to"

blurred visions
05-16-2005, 03:08 AM
Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. And even then, it's still "Coke."

EXACTLY, if you want a soft drink, then ask for COKE, then specify what kind. :doh:

HyPer50
05-16-2005, 05:27 AM
hahaha those are funny...i actually had a co-worker from new york ask me what "gonna" and "finna" mean...i was speechless...i kno "gonna" is "going to" but i had no clue how to explain "finna" or "fin-to"

Fixing to or about to lol luckily I haven't spent too much time out of the area so I haven't had to explain my words to folks lol.

PinkTaco
05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
You never go 55 on "The Watermelon 500" (285) or "the Georgia 400."

HAHA i love that, and living in atlanta off 400 for part of my life i never have heard it called "the Georgia 400". Nice post

AtifSajid
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM

finna -fixin to..

Kevykev
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
my girl asked me if i wanted her to fix me some water.

i was like "how does that work"?

Pablo
05-16-2005, 12:39 PM
those are funny and so true

Kristi
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
those are awesome! i don't get the PDK thing, but all the rest I get.

RandomGuy
05-16-2005, 12:58 PM
whats snipe hunting?

Spyder
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Sad but true.

HyPer50
05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
whats snipe hunting?

Ask some redneck buddies to take ya snipe hunting, they'll show ya what it's all about.

Cliff
05-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Hahahahahhahahahaha Snipe Hunting Rocks....i Almost Caught One When I Was About 8 But The Darn Thing Slipped Past My Pillow Case!

bastarling84
05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
If you compare any other place you go to a place in Atlanta. I have been sipe hunting. Pretty fun little sport. Just make sure you get a stick so you can hit them on the head and shut them up.

Cliff
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
darn right them snipe are some down right ornery lil creatures....

PinkTaco
05-16-2005, 05:41 PM
finna -fixin to..

thats gangsta for "fixin to"

LaurenK
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
lol...so true.

Darling Nikki
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Well I know I am NOT from Atlanta. I don't do any of those. Pepsi is the shit by the way ;)

Leisa
05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Girlie... Pepsi sucks! :bootyshak

Kristi
05-16-2005, 09:00 PM
^^ w3rd

pepsi does suck - Coke fucking rocks!

Tracy
05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
thats gangsta for "fixin to"

PINK TACO!!!! BAH!!!!! YOUR UN IS PINK TACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff
05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
i gave him that name :) and he really does have a pink taco....

PinkTaco
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
PINK TACO!!!! BAH!!!!! YOUR UN IS PINK TACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i drive a tacoma and its dark red but it changes in the light a little and sometimes some pink shows through. Its my toy pink taco

Cliff
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
no jason...it is pink no matter how you look at it...

Cliff
05-16-2005, 09:54 PM
http://image26.webshots.com/26/3/27/72/289832772ZbPtIa_ph.jpg
http://image28.webshots.com/28/3/38/10/289833810TJDmFs_ph.jpg

The Yousef
05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
no jason...it is pink no matter how you look at it...

lol....you wanna see pink? my lude's hood/roof/trunk is oxidised (sp?) like a mother fucker!
red paint+several years of neglect (previous owner)+road salt (michigan car)= pink...lol :( :mad: :doh:

yousef (now officially depressed)

Nismo
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Dont forget when snipe hunting, you should bring 2 good rocks to attract the snipes with

RandomGuy
05-17-2005, 11:31 PM
what the hell.... what is snipe hunting?! please answer lol

RandomGuy
05-17-2005, 11:38 PM
http://bailey.aros.net/nature/images/Common%20Snipe%201.jpg i googled it... so the point of the game is to get a bag and chase around a bird and bag it? (in the dark, in a swamp area) wtf... lol yall are just askin to get eaten by gators, specially down here n fla

bastarling84
05-18-2005, 12:23 AM
i googled it... so the point of the game is to get a bag and chase around a bird and bag it? (in the dark, in a swamp area) wtf... lol yall are just askin to get eaten by gators, specially down here n fla
LOL. Snipe hunting is just one of those things even google doesn't help you grasp the concept of aparrently.

Bajjani
05-18-2005, 04:21 AM
EXACTLY, if you want a soft drink, then ask for COKE, then specify what kind. :doh:

Amen