PDA

View Full Version : Your most ghetto mod ever???

Doppelgänger
07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
So. My car is REALLY loud. Too loud for my early morning commute through the residential area. But, i like how loud it is for driving during the day/events. Since i dont quite have the money for a resonator..yet, i got ghetto today.

For some odd reason, most my exhaust noise comes out of the drivers side tail pipe (my muffler splits off to one pipe on each side of the bumper). One night i discovered that shoving a towel up that pipe made the car VERY quiet. But we all know i couldnt drive around like that. Also, they dont make a bolt-in silencer for my muffler..since its not a canister style. Looking around the house, i found something thats non-flammable, just round enough to fit it the tip and seems to work.

A coke can.

I took the can and cut 2 slices in each side about a 3rd of the way down from the top. Then, i took a 6" hose clamp.. you know, the worm/screw style, and threaded it through the slices. Like the can got a big ass piercing lol. Then i took the can and pushed it up the tip leaving the remainder of the clamp almost sticking out. Vola!! Instant silencer! I knwo it looks like crap, but i'll only use it while the car warms up in the driveway in the morning and until i get out to the hwy. down the street where i can take it out and not disturb anyone. It really works too...for now. In a test, i took the car down the neighborhood and i could barely hear it.... perfect.

Whats your most ghetto mod that has actually worked??

Z33_kid
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
wow lol thts cool

The Green Monster
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
PICS!

B16a2 Civic
07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
yeah, i gotta see this

Hektik
07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
This was way back in the day when i first started modding like in 96. I didnt have money for a cai so we took a clothes dryer hose, u know the one thats in the back of the dryer that sends the hot air to the outside of the house and put a clmap on it and clamped it to the intake box removed the box filter and put the hose down by the bumper where the normal cai would go and put a no name brand filter on the other end.. Cold air intake

scttydb411
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
my turbokit. anyone that know me, knows what i'm talking about, but it works for about 120whp over stock. looks aren't everything as long as it works well.

SixSquared
07-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Hmmmm... I dunno... not many of my mods were overly ghetto-fied... well.. Did a ghetto repair once, though... I had a cracked lower control arm on my old show car, before she was a show car. It wasn't broken, just a hairline crack. We discovered this in Tampa after I had smacked the hell out of a pothole. Sooooooo I got under there with two metal rods (about 1/4" in diameter and 6" long) and a roll of duct tape... lol my sports medicine background kicked in... hairline crack in bone, splint it! Hairline crack in LCA... splint it! So I put the rods on either side of the LCA and started wrapping... and wrapping... and wrapping. Used just about the whole roll of tape. But hey, it got me back to Athens. Of course, after we cut the "splint" off and went to remove the LCA the thing broke apart as soon as we loosened it from the sway bar, so I like to think I did a damn good ghetto repair...

3kgtdrvr
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
...i have a stick holding up my window up right now and the door pannel off lol my window regulator went out and i have been *too busy* to get one, so its been almost like 6 months now or so lolol

superboost
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
my entire car is a ghetto mod.

my cai was made of PVC pipe at first.

my boost controller was culled from a junked saab.

Second boost controller was a copper pipe tee, and 3' of hose.

Intercooler spray system was a spare windshield washer system and aquarium hose.

My audio system is a dell optiplex desktop wired into the trunk, connected to a permanently mounted inverter that streams tunes into my radio.

For a long time, my motor made too much torque for the motor mounts to hold it into place, so my auxilliary engine mount consisted of a $10 home depot ratchet strap.

Before the 3" system, I had 2.5" flexpipe exhaust routed out the side of the car.

Nemesis
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
^ is that you Mark? LOL

BABY J
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I have the worlds 1st CF hood for EFs. SERIOUSLY!!! It was the 1st company to ever make hoods for the EF!!! HA HA NO rolled edges, barely fits. The holes are PRE-drilled so umm yeah... adjusting the fit --> FA GETTTA BAATTIT!!!!! LOL! Pax side fits OEM... drivers side, well .... let's just say that I have extra venting for cooling. LOL. But it's 4 lbs, and worx for me I guess... at least for a DD.

blackboi50
07-21-2006, 10:24 AM
speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!............1

xxbowiexx
07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
i want to see pics too

MDPsJcars
07-21-2006, 06:39 PM
The most ghetto thing i can think of that i did was back in about 98 when i got my first integra. Those that are old enough remember the days when getting rid of your muffler and adding a big ass monza tip was the SHIT. Well i did that, straight piped the muffler and resonator on my stock LS exhaust. AND.... i got a DC sports header. Man ill tell you that was hot shit back in the day. Anyways, with the header and all straight pipe after that... the car literally sounding like a prop plane coming in for a landing LOL. It was the loudest most obnoxious noise ever. And it was oh so ghetto with that big chrome tip.

§treet_§peed
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
ummm lets see.

first intake was one off of a a 98 Mitsu Elcipse...

when i first got my first set of headers on my car,i put them on, then fucked em up and made a big exhaust leak, while i put a muffler on the with flex pipe also just so i would have a stock muffler to go along with them..all in all it made my car shoot a big blue flame for ever and a day..then i upgraded to a 2.5 full ehaxust with the old fucked up headers still shot a flame til i got new headers, lol...

took of my winsheild washer resivoir as a weight reduction and all the hoseing and squirters....

my car had a trailier hitch on it when i first bought it..made sure that was the first thing that i took off of it, besides the lame sticker that where on the windows..motsly college stickers...

i have a Acura Integra CD player in my 96 Civic Coupe

i have my back 2 6x9 replaced with 2 after market 5x8..one stock front speaker and one cheap aftermarket one...and two kick ass tweets mounted right next the driver s ear and the passengers ear...lol
guess that's about it for me...:D

1439/2000
07-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Anybody that has ridden is my car knows about this one.

I have to plug in my car. That plus a big fuel pump and big cams make my car take about 6 years to start everytime.

Kevykev
07-22-2006, 02:25 PM
yeah, i gotta see this
word

aaronfelipe
07-22-2006, 02:36 PM
i have a friend that used up a whole tube of silicone to stop the tranny from leaking :lmfao: i could not get over that...

Wurm
07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
did it work?

PEST
07-22-2006, 02:46 PM
back in 98 on my first teg i had no money for an exhaust so i drilled holes into the stock exhaust. it was anoingly loud

Wurm
07-22-2006, 03:19 PM
LIRL

3kgtdrvr
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
lolol thats pretty good right there

§treet_§peed
07-22-2006, 04:01 PM
:werd:

MegatronRS
08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
This wasnt really a mod, but a repair, i was coming off 285 and merging onto 1-20 east going home from school one day and a truck in front of me swerved for some reason, and by the time i realized it was an 18 wheeler tire, so i pull off at Wesley chapel exit at some shady ass gas station, my back bumper is hanging off, i kicked that shit back on and left, got home and had to tie my front bumper back on with a long shoelace (thank god for chuck taylors)......Then, my car takes a little while for the defogger to start working, i turn a corner too soon and ditch the whole car, it bottomed out in some dirt i get out thinking its ok, just a little dirt, then the dredded clicking while turning left starts....turns out i broke the cv axle and it was hanging on by a thread, drove around for about 5 months like that before i took it to pro imports and had it fixed.

99SI
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
my inner fender was torn where my CAI filter was at. I didn't want to risk leaving the filter exposed to the elements of daily driving without something shielding it. Sooo, we cut an antifreeze bottle and wedged it into the hole in the inner fender and put a zip tie on it. It worked well until I hit a bump one day and it came flying off. Then I spent the $25 to buy a new OEM replacement. My second ghetto rig, which was really a wonderful one that I'm still impressed by, was when my flywheel was messing up. The outer ring gear on the fly wheel had become seperated from the inner part of the flywheel. So when I would try to crank my car the starter would just spin the outer ring around the flywheel and the flywheel and the crank wouldn't move. At first I thought the starter wasn't engaging and when I put on a new starter and that didn't fix it we looked at the flywheel. When we realized what the problem was we spot welded the ring gear to the flywheel through the hole where the starter goes. Tried to keep them as evenly spaced as possible to keep it somewhat balanced. It worked like a champ and kept me from spending the money I didn't have on a new flywheel. When I took my motor to Mainstream after locking it up Vteckidd pulled off the clutch and looked at the flywheel and said, "what the fuck is that?" lol.

Vteckidd
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
JB welded an entire tranny case on a friends car cause it was 12 am an he had to get home that night

not really a mod, but this one time, my starter went out, an i was too lazy to switch it out i starter carrying a hammer with me to beat it to get it to start. shit when on like that for 3 months LOL

Vteckidd
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
When I took my motor to Mainstream after locking it up Vteckidd pulled off the clutch and looked at the flywheel and said, "what the fuck is that?" lol.
LOL i remember that.

how about when i drove over your air filter EL OH EL

B16a2 Civic
08-11-2006, 10:46 AM
my current a/c compressor is jb welded, there was a hoel in it, the previous owner did this, still doesnt blow cold.
he gave me an a/c compressor from a b series integra, it didnt find, somethin about teh belts

BTEC
08-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I GOT ME SOME FOG LIGHT S FROM PEP BOYS AND PUT THEM IN IN THE PARKINGLOT OF OUR OLD APT COMPLEX. WELL THE GHETTO PARTS WAS I WANTED THEM TO FIT KINDA FLUSH IN THE BUMLER BUT THE FACTORY GRILL STUFF WAS STILL IN THERE SO HOW DID I CUT IT OUT? MUTHAFUKIN POCKET KNIFE. HELL YEAH!! I SAWED THAT SHIT OUT WITH A CHEAP ASS KNIFE I GOT FROM A CORNER STORE, THEM SHITS THAT WEIGHT LIKE 5 POUNDS AND PULL UR PANTS DWN WHILE U WALK.

THE WIRING WASNT THAT BAD, EXCEPT THE SWITCH DANGLED UNDER THE DASH BC I DIDNT WANT TO DRILL A HOLE IN MY DASH FOR A SWITCH THAT MIGHT NOT ALWAYS BE IN THE CAR.

dp32185
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
'i love my honda' sticker on my windscreen.

Ran
08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
back in 98 on my first teg i had no money for an exhaust so i drilled holes into the stock exhaust. it was anoingly loudAnother way to do that is let your car run and get the exhaust hot. Then turn off the car, grabbed the water hose, and fill the muffler full of water. Then turn the car back on and rev the sh*t out of it. Burns out the baffles and makes your exhaust horrendously loud.

For some reason, the Autometer fuel gauge in my 280Z reads backwards. It goes from empty to full the more I drive. :thinking:

SOHC MONSTER
08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
back in 98-99 i got hit on the passenger side of my truck bed in my 91 s10. I was to cheap to buy a truck bed to have a tail light on that side so I half ass mounted a spoiler with an led brake light on what was left of the bed rails just to have 2 lights... :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Sammich
08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
this mess, i still wish i didnt have any cracks in my dash, so i didnt have to do that, but o well..its tweeded now
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/integra_hot/dashshot.jpg

HiPSI
08-11-2006, 04:53 PM
my current greatness

http://www.stlsr.com/events/Nopi06/IMG_3502.JPG

Elbow
08-11-2006, 05:29 PM
my car itself is just ghetto

MongolPup
08-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Holy shit psi....

HiPSI
08-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Holy shit psi....

it works great and was only $2 :)

Khalifa247
08-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Home Depot Boost controller

§treet_§peed
08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
shit like taking a leaf blower and hooking it up to your cold air intake! :D i tried it once...actually gave it a little kick..:D :lmfao:

GeorgeWBush
08-12-2006, 01:57 AM
2x4's for front and rear bumpers.

Duct tape painted shiny silver and cut out H for Honda on top of Acura logos.

Stormhammer
08-12-2006, 02:22 AM
air intake system and mas off of a 1g eclipse
made a boost controller for $10 from home depot ( 20 psi ftw! )
painted a piece of aluminum black and put it behind the right side of my bumper for a sort of cai
spliced an eclipse stereo harness into my stock to make a cd player work :)
at the moment, I have a downpipe. I have a muffler. I have no exhaust pipe :)

Mal
08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Did any of you ever catch me up at Commerce when I had my saturn? The gold one, an inch off the ground..with old ass acura wheels..with $10 tires..with 3 inch side bumper exhaust...