PDA

View Full Version : How much would you spend for a decent computer?

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok, I am trying to figure out what people want out of computers. I know my tastes, but my tastes are a little extravagant LOL.

now these prices are relative, but Every option will have at least a pentium 4 or equivalent. at least 1gig of ram, and at least 80 gigs HD space. except for the 500 and less, thats pretty much "you get what ya get and you be happy"

If you do vote, please tell me what you are expecting for that price.

MrWang
07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I say go all out. You want something that will last you a while and won't become obselete in the near future. Spend alot now, computers like other electronics always become outdated overtime. So now, might as well upgrade it to the max. I saw go above 1gig of ram, def. 2. And 80gig is nothing, even if this is a laptop, go for 120gb, if desktop go way higher.

civic95
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
now these prices are relative, but Every option will have at least a pentium 4 or equivalent. at least 1gig of ram, and at least 80 gigs HD space. except for the 500 and less

I can already get all that for $500. And I wouldn't spend anymore than that on a computer unless I was a gamer.

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
for 2100, I can build a computer that will be good for the next 6 years...... (relatively speaking if tech progresses at the same speed it has been)

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I can already get all that for $500. And I wouldn't spend anymore than that on a computer unless I was a gamer.

You can get all that brand new for less then 500? I would love to know where!

civic95
07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
You can get all that brand new for less then 500? I would love to know where!

Dell!

Now keep in mind this is with a FREE 15" flat panel, 2 yr service, and Free 2-3 day shipping. All before my discount

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
gotcha, but thats dell, and dells suck :P

civic95
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
gotcha, but thats dell, and dells suck :P

Actually I'm starting to feel that way. I used to favor them until the last year or so. Their older computers were super reliable, but the ones our company has ordered lately have factory defects. All optiplex series though. I'm talking 300 motherboards within 3 months of deploying a 1000 of them. But atleast the honor them. They extended the 3 yr warranty to lifetime on the motherboards.

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
yeah, Ive never been a big fan of dells, and everything has to be done at the facotry, they are upgradable, but they absolutelly have to use dell approved parts. What waranty I can offer would be what I get from manufacturers

4dmin
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
its stupid to spend 1000+ on any machine including laptops... technology is so cheap now if your pay more then that its a waste ;)

by the way if you can buy it; its obsolete.

Wurm
07-19-2006, 12:53 PM
man when it comes to buy a cheap computer its better to go with a company like dell or hp you get more for your money. when u say 500 that is just the comp not the monitor not the keyboard or mouse or speakers

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:53 PM
well, If I spend over 4gs on a computer, It will have ALL the latest tech. and probly last about 10 years, but then again, I have access to parts the average consumer doesnt...... I can build a computer with 8 processors, and up to 32 sticks of ram......

Wurm
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
well, If I spend over 4gs on a computer, It will have ALL the latest tech. and probly last about 10 years, but then again, I have access to parts the average consumer doesnt...... I can build a computer with 8 processors, and up to 32 sticks of ram......

using newegg.com dont count

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
man when it comes to buy a cheap computer its better to go with a company like dell or hp you get more for your money. when u say 500 that is just the comp not the monitor not the keyboard or mouse or speakers

actually wurm, Im still checking my prices, I might be able to include those. but Im still seeing what I can do, Here let me see what the cheapest I can put a full system together for is.

Senko
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Wurm, newegg is great, but its not the only place I source parts.

Wurm
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Wurm, newegg is great, but its not the only place I source parts.

but they are the quickest and most reliable

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:00 PM

OMG NO WAY!!! what you going to use a fucking server to play WOW and surf IA... wow that there is 4g well spent. :gay:

what you are talking about is the complete different spectrum then what this thread is about.

Wurm
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
OMG NO WAY!!! what you going to use a fucking server to play WOW and surf IA... wow that there is 4g well spent. :gay:

what you are talking about is the complete different spectrum then what this thread is about.
4k isnt gonna get you 8 processors and 32 sticks of ram sorry to tell ya

Wurm
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
PowerEdge 6800 Qty 1
Intel® Xeon™ 7020 Dual Core processor at 2.66GHz, 2x1MB cache, 66, Windows Server® 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition, Includes 25 CALs Unit Price $41,110.00
Catalog Number: 5 PE6800PAD
Module Description Show Details
PowerEdge 6800 Intel® Xeon™ 7020 Dual Core processor at 2.66GHz, 2x1MB cache, 66
Operating System Windows Server® 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition, Includes 25 CALs
Additional Processors Dual Core Intel® Xeon™ Dual 7020 processors 2.66GHz, 2x1MB, 667Mh
Memory 32GB DDR2 400MHz (8X4GB), Mirroring Enabled, Dual Ranked DIMMs
Keyboard No Keyboard Option
Monitor No Monitor Option
Primary Hard Drive 73GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive
Primary Controller PERC4/DC, 1 Internal and 1 External Channel
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
Mouse No Mouse Option
Network Adapter Dual Onboard NICs
Remote Management Dell Remote Access Card, 4th Generation, for PowerEdge
Tape Backup PV110T, LTO-2 Tape Backup, 200/400GB, Full Height, w/Controller, Internal
CD/DVD Drive 24X IDE CD-ROM
Bezel Active ID Bezel Option for Tower Configuration
Hard Drive Backplane 1x10 Hot Plug SCSI Hard Drive Backplane
Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
Second Hard Drive 73GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive
Tape Backup Software CommVault 1-Touch Recovery Client License Key
HD Configuration (Opt 1) AR0/N Add-in card RAID 0, No Drives in Media Bay
Chassis Configuration Tower Chassis Orientation
Hardware Support Services 3Yr BASIC NBD: L1 Hardware Queue, Next Business Day Onsite, M-F 8am-6pm
Installation Support Services No Installation Assessment
Open Manage Subscription Open Manage Subscription Service (8 Editions)
Power Supply Power Supply Dual Power Supplies 120-127 Volt AC Countries, US Deployment
Environmental Compliance Do not ship to EU or Japan after July/01/06 - Not a RoHS Compliant Product
Third Hard Drive 73GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive
Power Supply Redundancy Check Redundant Power Not Required
System Deployment System Deployment Power Supply Deployment for 120-127 Volt AC Countries
TOTAL:$41,110.00

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
4k isnt gonna get you 8 processors and 32 sticks of ram sorry to tell ya

not normally but i can ;)

muuuuaaaaahhhhhh

here is what i surf IA on

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Enterprise-E15K-Server-Sun-E15K-72x900MHz-144GB_W0QQitemZ270008409623QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5123 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you can get anything if you have connections... company buyouts is the best way to get great equipment for nothing :goodjob:

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
i have 15+ poweredge servers most are 4000 series quad processor, few ibm, misc generic...

ShooterMcGavin
07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
500-700, and w/dells deals they have goin on all the time, i expect quite a bit from that.

Wurm
not normally but i can ;)

muuuuaaaaahhhhhh

here is what i surf IA on

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Enterprise-E15K-Server-Sun-E15K-72x900MHz-144GB_W0QQitemZ270008409623QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5123 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you can get anything if you have connections... company buyouts is the best way to get great equipment for nothing :goodjob:

where do u live

Grabs AK

Senko
Originally Posted by Senko
well, If I spend over 4gs on a computer

notice the OVER there.... hehehe, but yeah, and thats a sweet machine, but not the one I was looking at LOL. and no I wont be using a server to do it :P but now BACK ON TOPIC! what do you expect for your money on a computer?

Wurm
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
for the money i expect it to give me blowjobs

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
where do u live

Grabs AK

nay i dont' have the sun server... i do have a sparq station.. that shit was quite expensive when it was bought... of course that and the dells i spoke of are at my work... but i got quite a few here ;)

but backo n topic its fucking retarded to spend over 1000$ on the tower alone.

joecoolfreak
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Senko,

I will assume for a moment in regards to your other thread about advertising, that you are interested in trying to start a business selling computers. I highly recommend that you don't, because you very well might have the technical knowledge to do so, you lack the understanding of marketing and business matters. First rule of business is to know your market. Who are you trying to sell computers to? Asking how much someone wants to spend on a computer is like asking how much someone wants to spend on a car. There are many different markets and budgets etc out there, and there is no way that you can market to all of them. Yes, you can build and sell a machine for less than 500 and no one is going to say that dell's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but very few will buy one from you, because they don't know anything about you. They have at least heard of dell. So you just won't be able to compete in the cheap computer market. You could market to the high end market, but chances are, if someone needs a really high end specialized computer, they will already have a source, or they know how to build one themselves. Next comes marketing, why would you advertise cheap computers to people online? How do you think they got online? All said and done, my point is that you have a lot to think about and have really not thought anything through yet. My .02

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Senko,

I will assume for a moment in regards to your other thread about advertising, that you are interested in trying to start a business selling computers. I highly recommend that you don't, because you very well might have the technical knowledge to do so, you lack the understanding of marketing and business matters. First rule of business is to know your market. Who are you trying to sell computers to? Asking how much someone wants to spend on a computer is like asking how much someone wants to spend on a car. There are many different markets and budgets etc out there, and there is no way that you can market to all of them. Yes, you can build and sell a machine for less than 500 and no one is going to say that dell's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but very few will buy one from you, because they don't know anything about you. They have at least heard of dell. So you just won't be able to compete in the cheap computer market. You could market to the high end market, but chances are, if someone needs a really high end specialized computer, they will already have a source, or they know how to build one themselves. Next comes marketing, why would you advertise cheap computers to people online? How do you think they got online? All said and done, my point is that you have a lot to think about and have really not thought anything through yet. My .02

there is no money in building computers for people.... you need to get into reselling the market is way better ;)

that and IT services.

joecoolfreak
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
there is no money in building computers for people.... you need to get into reselling the market is way better ;)

that and IT services.

I agree completely and that was my point. I have done both reselling and IT services in the past and did pretty well. I just see where he is headed as many years ago, I had some of the same ideas. Along the way, I have learned that there is no chance of succeeding at what he is trying to do and so I was attempting to be constructive to lead him away from the pipe dreams.

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree completely and that was my point. I have done both reselling and IT services in the past and did pretty well. I just see where he is headed as many years ago, I had some of the same ideas. Along the way, I have learned that there is no chance of succeeding at what he is trying to do and so I was attempting to be constructive to lead him away from the pipe dreams.

no doubt... the most $ is buying up liquidated companys equipment and reselling :goodjob: but your even better off to just go back to school learn programming.

joecoolfreak
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Oh...I found my niche...the $$ is in software development ;-)

4dmin
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh...I found my niche...the $$ is in software development ;-)

yup 2x :goodjob:

Senko
07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
well, ok, then I am just gonna go back to 3d graphics and graphic design then :) that at least is a specialized skill

CALIWEST
07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
depends wat u mean by decent computer...for gamers ur lookin to spend about 800+

EP3sAreFun
07-19-2006, 07:04 PM
lets see... Some IA guys help me pick out mine...

300gig hard drive.
SLI=2x great vid cards.
2.2 AMD 64
DVD-R
case w/ 550w supply, 4 fans.
BIG 20" FLATSCREEN etc..

cost me right at 1300

carrascopa
07-19-2006, 09:35 PM
fuk what ya heard.. I know atif.. n he hooks that shit up.. I own 15 pcs and except for my laptops they were all under $500.00 i dont have a problem with anyof them..