PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME CHOOSE!!!

s4driver1519
07-17-2006, 04:00 AM
my moms bd is comming up on aug.31...

please help me choose a suv for her...i have three choices...

LEXUS rx330
reliablity...not as luxury& funny looking
or
BENZ ML500
strong.. & i think mom likes this one
(she doesnt know anything, she wants it because of the name)....
V8 (gas tank fucker) & might not be reliable...parts are very expensive...
or
BMW X5
best in looks(i think)...might not be reliable..parts are very expensive..

its gonna be used, around 30k to 55k....so i was wondering if anyone owns or knows of any problems for any of these cars..i really want to go for the lexus because toyota/lexus is just plain reliable because it's japanese..atleast i have never heard or known of any jap. car to f' up around 30k-110k....as far as the german cars...i heard that she likes the BENZ..but damn, its a v8.humm..i dunno..i currently own an 01 AUDI S4 w/ 65k and shit..i have plenty problems..so..the notzi cars have left a sour taste..im kinda afraid to get another german car..i guess what im looking for is just to be convienced on, why i should get the x5 or the ml500??...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!...

fight club
07-17-2006, 06:01 AM
the ml500 gets decent gas mileage, is actually reliable unless your mom runs without oil or something of that nature. if its what she likes its what she likes. as for the lexus being reliable, ehn, being japanese doesnt mean it is. regular maintance and not modding the hell out of the car means it is. its all a matter of care/soft driving.

rolling_trip
07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
i have heard nothing but good thinds about the X5, my advice would be do some research through some like Consumer Reports, lol if you can find some unbias reviews

speedminded
07-17-2006, 08:17 AM
i know where a good deal on an X5 is if you're are interested. Do you know which engine you want, this one is a 3.0. Guessing if you are looking at the Ml500 then you'll prolly want the 4.2 X5...

PhAtBoYMr2
07-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Get the fuckin x5, what are you thinkin china man

99SI
07-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I love my RX300. We average around 23MPG and that's mostly city driving around McDonough area where traffic is a bitch. On trips we've averaged as high as 26MPG on the interstate cruising at 75. Quality is there, excellent dealer support, roadside assistance and powertrain warranty until 70k miles. We drive quite a bit and in the two years of owning it have put 60k miles on it. I got it two years ago with 32k miles and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Cool Cat GTR
07-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a good friend with the Lexus and it has been perfect. Used ones are reasonable in price and dealer support is excellent. I'm sure the Benz and the BMW are great too but I would suspect they will cost more to purchase and to maintain. Just my 2 cents.

4dmin
07-17-2006, 10:32 AM
X5 but i will say my boss had both the lexus and the X5... the X5 is always in the shop

The Yousef
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
x5....but if you want a cost effective option over the long run go with the RX300

s4driver1519
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
thanx a whole bunch guys..i love the fast responses, i will take everyones post into consideration..i did more searching and it seems like benz is getting crapped on..lol..

benz..http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111110

benz...http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469820

but then again...

x5..http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee94f99/374

the rx330 had navigation/electric problems,but thats minor..didn't see much of any tranny issues over on the jap side..

:thinking: i don't know guys...i think the rx330 is ahead here...but there still an open door for the x5..

Hondatwin23
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
i went with my aunt to get the rx 330 when they first came out and ive not had one issue with it. love driving it !

but my opinion is that that are all great suvs and it all depends on the style u want and bank u willin got put down.

i actually like all of those rides and feel sorry u have to pick.
go boss hog and get all three!

mp5o
07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Expect to pay an ASS for maintainence if you get the ml500... They take 8 quarts of oil(Synthetic), nobody stocks the air filters(cept dealers..), and a good handful of quick lube shops wont have the oil filter/tool. Thats just the start of it....

The Lex takes the same damn oil filter as most other toyotas, the air filters are not hard to find, and they don't take an insane amount of oil...

Not sure on the X5.

But yea, thats just my view on the choices given. Ease/price of maintenence would steer me away from ml500/x5.

nmonty
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
you know my thoughts......put the money towards a house. definately a wiser decision and Im sure your mom would rather you do that anyway. Im tellin you, you are gonna kick yourself down the road.