PDA

View Full Version : bogging?

Kourt
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
When I push the gas all the way down in my car it bogs then cuts off. People have said something about the mass air flow sensor but I cant find anything about that on a civic. I have a 98 honda civic HX, any ideas of what it could be?

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
could be the mafs, catalytic converter, or o2 sensor. Go to pep boys or some shit and get a free engine scan, if it comes up lean on bank 1 or throws a code like that- its either of the 3. From there, U should pay 75$ and get it completely checked out.... that way you can fix it properly. Do you have a CAI?

2.0civic
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
ddamn you got the knowledge and the looks

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I should edit that to say.... he should start at the MAFS, then go to the O2, then go to the catalytic.... its like the finger to the wrist to the elbow.... if you're throwing an engine code.... try playing with the MAFS first, and if it goes away and comes back, that could be it. Like I said though- at first go to the parts store and get a free engine scan. LMK if this helps, or if you have any other questions.

Thanks. I know my shit. :)

chuck
07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
yup, i guess what LA said....check all your clamps from your air filter to your throttle body too, make sure none of them have slipped loose.

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
yup, i guess what LA said....check all your clamps from your air filter to your throttle body too, make sure none of them have slipped loose.
Thanks man! Forgot those minor details. You could also have a hose leak.... IE: a split hose, SPLIT REAL BAD. Let your car idle, listen to it... if you hear a hissing noise, that could be it...

.....or maybe even a distributor.... especially if it will do that at idle... and you rev to 4k and let it idle.. then it cuts off.... is it only when you are driving only or sitting? Or both?

2.0civic
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
lea anne, completely off topic but is there a black g35 at Z1 wiht black out tails? i saw one the other day with z1 sticker on back and volks on it and just wondered if you knew him?

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
lea anne, completely off topic but is there a black g35 at Z1 wiht black out tails? i saw one the other day with z1 sticker on back and volks on it and just wondered if you knew him?
Did it have a FMIC? If so, that coulda been Tony's old car... dark windows, tinted headlights? I believe other than Tony's old car, theres another one with a Greddy systerm running around that tired to copy his set up.... not even sure. I know the cars, I hardly remember any of the customers names, unless they called and flirted with me, or they requested me to do test pipes or some shit like that. :) Sry

Kourt
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
its only when im driving a push the gas ALL the way down. I've checked to make sure nothings loose, the engine light or anything isnt coming on. I've been told to clean the throttle body, try using a fuel filter cleaner or something, get a new CAI filter, everyone says it's something different.

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Thats a BEFANGLED statement. Eh, doubt its a throttle body problem... id honestly have to drive the car to tell you exactly- but ive been in sort of the same situation, fixed it myself on my old car... didnt have a problem there after, and the new owner of my old car hasnt had any problems either.... so I mean, I think my advice is pretty good-- tell me, the people you talked to- have they actually wrenched, or did they own honda's with huge wings on them too? heh

Kourt
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Haha, a few have been mechanics that I know personally, some just know alittle bit about cars from being around them their whole life. I dont really hang around the 'hondas with huge wings' crowd.

fawk_you
07-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Haha, a few have been mechanics that I know personally, some just know alittle bit about cars from being around them their whole life. I dont really hang around the 'hondas with huge wings' crowd.
Had to check. I say take it to a shop then, hear-say isnt the way to go. If you were throwing engine codes, I could help... but that is just weird to me. Maybe its a problem with ur ECU? hmmmm Good luck. :screwy:

SLow_POke
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
you dont have a MAF>!:no: dont bother looking for one in your honda

speedminded
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
could be the mafs, catalytic converter, or o2 sensor. Go to pep boys or some shit and get a free engine scan, if it comes up lean on bank 1 or throws a code like that- its either of the 3. From there, U should pay 75$ and get it completely checked out.... that way you can fix it properly. Do you have a CAI?
ddamn you got the knowledge and the looksLOLOLOL, bank 1? :slap: Someones been watchin too much 'Gone in 60 seconds', inline 4...this isn't a V silly!!!!

speedminded
07-12-2006, 04:46 PM
As for the car, it only boggs at WOT...shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

3kgtdrvr
07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
you dont have a MAF>!:no: dont bother looking for one in your honda

haha +1 for the first person to realize that. MAP sensors ftw! id say start off by checking ur dizzy cap and rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter

BlkCD5
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Fuel filter? You could put some of that treatment shit in there.

3kgtdrvr
07-12-2006, 11:08 PM
its not gonna clean out a stopped up fuel filter though

speedminded
07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
haha +1 for the first person to realize that. MAP sensors ftw! id say start off by checking ur dizzy cap and rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filterBingo!

Does it happen to have aftermarket wires? If it does, go get some OEM honda's :2cents:

fawk_you
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
MAP, MAF, same thing to me. Shows how much I pay attention to honda's. haha

SLow_POke
07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
MAP, MAF, same thing to me. Shows how much I pay attention to honda's. haha

but its not ;)

EmminoDaGreat
07-14-2006, 12:52 AM
very true...