PDA

View Full Version : cheap ebay coil overs

ruffriderGA
07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Can someone fill me in on why these seem too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-JDM-COILOVER-COIL-OVER-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ019QQ itemZ290005503104QQrdZ1

0-4in of drop for under $100? :???:

B16a2 Civic
07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
cause your gon ride like shit when you put them on
cheap coilovers= worse investment ever
you might as well cut your stock springs, its gon ride the same

ruffriderGA
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
OK thanks can you reccomend a good set of coils for a not so outragious price? like around $250?

I'm looking for 2 inches or more drop

B16a2 Civic
07-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Ground Control, got them on mine, highly recommendprice may have gone down since i bought mine for like 300, get some kyb struts if you can too

Elbow
07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
my cut springs on my 240 ride A LOT better then my friends Ebay coilovers on his Civic hatch.

The Ninja
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
rofl.....

KevinT707
07-10-2006, 09:35 PM
I think I should come in and put my opinion down. I've been riding on "Ebay" coilovers for 2 years now & have never had any problems (stock struts); it rides almost like stock & I bought them for $70 shipped. I wouldn't say Ground Controls are any better either, cause a friend of mine has them on his Civic Si & they don't ride all that great. Cut springs ride pretty rough also + you can't adjust the height.

§treet_§peed
07-10-2006, 09:41 PM
whenever i lower my POS i'm gonna get racing struts and racing springs..but that'st mee, i'm drag stip and auto x

Wurm
07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
why dont you just buy lowering springs if you are gonna get coilover get real coilover and not the gay slipovers

KevinT707
07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
why dont you just buy lowering springs if you are gonna get coilover get real coilover and not the gay slipovers
We're talking about people that are on a low budget here. That just want it lowered & handling isn't as important right now.

yudalicious
07-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't say Ground Controls are any better either,

half of the times you can't even find spring rates on the ebay coilovers, and if they do post rates, I would doubt they are what they advertise, but you're right, it makes no difference to someone who's just looking to lower their car for looks and are cheap, but if there's any concern for performance, I wouldn't go for them.

Wurm
07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
We're talking about people that are on a low budget here. That just want it lowered & handling isn't as important right now.
ebay lowering springs are cheap and probally 10x better then those damn slipovers

KevinT707
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
ebay lowering springs are cheap and probally 10x better then those damn slipovers
I don't like lowering springs because your stuck with that height, so if your too low you'll just stay scraping and can't do anything about it. Plus the front always sits higher than the back w/ lowering springs, which is gay!

Wurm
07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
put a bigger rim on the back lol

Danny
07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I think I should come in and put my opinion down. I've been riding on "Ebay" coilovers for 2 years now & have never had any problems (stock struts); it rides almost like stock & I bought them for $70 shipped. I wouldn't say Ground Controls are any better either, cause a friend of mine has them on his Civic Si & they don't ride all that great. Cut springs ride pretty rough also + you can't adjust the height.

Ohh kevyyy, I dont appreciate you saying that your 70$ slip ons are on par with my 1500$ Ground Control adj. Coilovers. trust me when I say, "your wrong". ;)

Slip ons with NO spring rates, and stock struts SUCK, no matter how u look at it. Alot of times, factory suspension will probably handle better.

KevinT707
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Ohh kevyyy, I dont appreciate you saying that your 70$ slip ons are on par with my 1500$ Ground Control adj. Coilovers. trust me when I say, "your wrong". ;)

Slip ons with NO spring rates, and stock struts SUCK, no matter how u look at it. Alot of times, factory suspension will probably handle better.
On a Honda, especially a CRX handling was never that great anyway so I think anything helps on cars like mine. Yours is a BMW which from the factory are made to handle fairly well. & I wasn't talking about fully adj. coilovers (Ground Control); cause the GC slip ons suck! Can't compare $1500 adj stuff to just adj height $70 slip ons homie. :)

Danny
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
On a Honda, especially a CRX handling was never that great anyway so I think anything helps on cars like mine. Yours is a BMW which from the factory are made to handle fairly well. & I wasn't talking about fully adj. coilovers (Ground Control); cause the GC slip ons suck! Can't compare $1500 adj stuff to just adj height $70 slip ons homie. :)

clearify that next time sweeti... hahah ;)

u did say "ground control coilovers" .... and thats what i have :D i just got the real stuff :D

Hehe.. u said "fairly well".... ohh dear...

Curbow_USMC
07-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I say just get some H&R coils. i have been rockin them for about 2 1/2 years and they ride great.

JITB
07-11-2006, 05:52 PM
i had 80$ coilovers on my protege, and it rode great for 2 years, just like kevin said, even still had the stock struts. And the suspsension is on a friend of mines Mx3, still firm as ever. gonna buy some on my next protege too..:)

BTW, isnt you suspension supposed to be tuned and set up properly? Who actually does that?

green91
07-11-2006, 07:35 PM
uhm ground control slip ons > cheapos any day of the week. get off the city streets and onto somehwere handling matters and youll find out. i know i did

JITB
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
i stayed off he city streets.. and it was great

ahmonrah
07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
i'm not trying to be outrageous. but id rather save up to buy some tein coilovers w/ edfc than to buy some cheap joints or cut my stockers.

u_like_me
07-11-2006, 09:33 PM
From what I can tell ll of his bad feedback is pretty much the same. It says he does not ship item or he ships the wrong item. Pretty much seems ok other then that. I have used ebay alot and I ordered some tanning lotion from a seller that I read the feedback and it said he ships lotion with the lids cracked. I trusted it because his positive out did his negative. When the lotion came the lid was not closed and there was a little mess to clean up. After I cleaned it I saw that there were no cracks in it and the item was great. It is just a chance you will have to take. Use paypal and then you can get a refund if it is a messed up item....

Can someone fill me in on why these seem too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-JDM-COILOVER-COIL-OVER-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ019QQ itemZ290005503104QQrdZ1

0-4in of drop for under $100? :???:

Bruce Leroy
07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
hmmmm. I have some drop zone coil over sleeves sitting in my room. I have mixed fellings about them, and i dont know wht direction i want to take with my car, so i haven't put them on yet. From what I've read on the forums, most people who buy cheapo ebay coilover's don't know jack about suspension setups, and are just want to lower their car, without knowing the consequences. Then they complain about their ride being shitty, because they blew their stock shocks, and their car is so low that its riding on the bumpstops. One rason I haven't put mine on yet is because of the spring rates. The springs "say" 400lbs front and 600lbs rear, but i don't know what that will ride like (if those are the real spring rates) or how it will affect the handling. ANother reason i havent installed is because of the spring seats. To get the car sitting how i want, at least on my car, i would have to cut the spring seats off of the struts. Which i don't want to do. Another thing is that the build quality of the parts look suspect to me. The edges are sharp and jagged, and the threads aren't exactly "all there". How long will they last, and can they stand up to the abuse i put my suspension through. Right now the cons outweigh the pros, So i am just saving up to get some teins, megans or something else. That way i know at least a little thought has ben put into the design.

JITB
07-11-2006, 11:39 PM
hmmmm. I have some drop zone coil over sleeves sitting in my room. I have mixed fellings about them, and i dont know wht direction i want to take with my car, so i haven't put them on yet. From what I've read on the forums, most people who buy cheapo ebay coilover's don't know jack about suspension setups, and are just want to lower their car, without knowing the consequences. Then they complain about their ride being shitty, because they blew their stock shocks, and their car is so low that its riding on the bumpstops. One rason I haven't put mine on yet is because of the spring rates. The springs "say" 400lbs front and 600lbs rear, but i don't know what that will ride like (if those are the real spring rates) or how it will affect the handling. ANother reason i havent installed is because of the spring seats. To get the car sitting how i want, at least on my car, i would have to cut the spring seats off of the struts. Which i don't want to do. Another thing is that the build quality of the parts look suspect to me. The edges are sharp and jagged, and the threads aren't exactly "all there". How long will they last, and can they stand up to the abuse i put my suspension through. Right now the cons outweigh the pros, So i am just saving up to get some teins, megans or something else. That way i know at least a little thought has ben put into the design.

the ones i had were megan's.. but they were cheap as hell

Danny
07-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Nick that seem very hard. 400/600 that is. Im running 450/550 which is a stiff street/track setup for the M3s. Some of the hardcore track guys run 550/650 and up. But thats to stiff for the street most of the time. Thats just to give u a slight idea... Ur setup seems really stiff, but ask some of the honda guys what they think (the real honda guys, not the retards suporting 70$ slip ons like they are actually a good product).

KevinT707
07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
I will have to admit that my cheap-o $70 Ebay slip-ons are starting to degrade after a couple years. I must've hit a big pothole in Atlanta or something but one of the threaded tubes are bent at the base. Oh well, maybe it's time to upgrade to some more Ebay slip-ons haha.

Love You too Danny!

Danny
07-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I will have to admit that my cheap-o $70 Ebay slip-ons are starting to degrade after a couple years. I must've hit a big pothole in Atlanta or something but one of the threaded tubes are bent at the base. Oh well, maybe it's time to upgrade to some more Ebay slip-ons haha.

Love You too Danny!

lol... of course they are bent... they probably "settled" after u installed them too... lol

bottom line is, you get what u pay for.

and for the people saying mine "rode better" than so and so's car. I mean, how can you say "ride better" when its two different cars, and your driving styles (if you even have one, which most lilkly you dont) are completly different?

Personally, i prefer a fairly stiff spring rate with mild dampening. My set up right now needs a little work, but is a dang decent street setup. Right now my my rears could use more dampening, and the fronts could go a hair softer. I just gotta get time to go fool with it. BUt in my case, the stock M3 suspension is faster than me on some roads, but mine is better on most roads.

Im not sure why im blabbing ,lol.. i cant even remember what the original post question was..lol

rupertaker
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
LOL and I thought TEIN's were cheap, it blows my mind how someone could want this garbage.

zakkkaliscious
07-13-2006, 04:25 PM
hahaha i found some for 10.99 + shipping on ebay if they suck your only out like $40 any way so why not try them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-88-89-90-91-HONDA-PRELUDE-COILOVER-COIL-OVER-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ018QQ itemZ280006483899QQrdZ1

Danny
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
hahaha i found some for 10.99 + shipping on ebay if they suck your only out like $40 any way so why not try them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-88-89-90-91-HONDA-PRELUDE-COILOVER-COIL-OVER-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ018QQ itemZ280006483899QQrdZ1

idiot.. if you want to spend 10.99 on sleves. do it... thats not even worth my time to install them...

THATS PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!! why waste 40$ when you can be like these other people and waste 70$ haha... lame.

Bruce Leroy
07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
fuck $10 these are $0.01. QUALITY STUFF (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-Accord-Tsudo-Coilovers-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ120008362154QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33 586QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Danny
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
^^^ hahaha

calmnothing
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Ground control sleeves are actually pretty decent. You just need to specify the right springrates for your setup. A lot of people just get stiff ass springs and the wrong dampeners which is why the ride sucks. A suspension isn't something you should cheap out on.

00HARDTOPZ
07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
What year civic??? I have a set of neuspeed spring if you want them. There on a 96 civic right now. Ill sell them cheap and there 2 in. Pm me

Steve-0

2.2L
07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
the only acceptable way to be cheap and still being good to your precious car imo is to get good stuff that are simply used. i got my suspension from somebody in ia for 230. that is tockico illuminas and skunk2 springs. i know im getting my shit because tockico is reliable and skunk2 is also in a way reputable in making performance parts. so please dont cut your springs or buy ebay parts because your gonna end up paying the same amount or even more. either by having to buy new tires more frequently or worst crashing.

PEST
07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
sorry noob question bbut what exactly are slip ons
thanx