PDA

View Full Version : Paint your car at home?

RandomGuy
05-12-2005, 10:32 PM
UPDATE ON LAST PAGE

I was just wondering if anyone here has painted their car themselves. It only costs bout 400 bux(ebay) total for all the equipment and paint and shit for a decent paint job. This'll be much better than the 200$ maaco jobs, but they take like a week to finish. I was looking into this and was wondering if anyone has done it and wants to post.

chmura
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here has painted their car themselves. It only costs bout 400 bux(ebay) total for all the equipment and paint and shit for a decent paint job. This'll be much better than the 200$ maaco jobs, but they take like a week to finish. I was looking into this and was wondering if anyone has done it and wants to post.

we can do it for u cheap

krindus
05-12-2005, 11:41 PM
i tried painting a bumper to put on my car, used a compressor, gun and matched paint from the local auto color store. didn't work too well. unless you have space indoors, temperature controlled and no hint of any kind of particles in the air: i would say don't waste your time.

SwiftGTiRacer
05-13-2005, 04:23 AM
I painted my Swift for the first time in an indoor make shift tent. It turned out like total ass. Don't do it. Find a booth!

Swifty

HyPer50
05-13-2005, 04:50 AM
If I had a spot to do it I would of painted it a long time ago.. Definatly well worth the money if you have a garage.. and if you screw up, you're getting experience from it atleast.

4dmin
05-13-2005, 07:53 AM
it can be done but its the drying process that is the issue... i wouldn't suggest it for a show car unless you have a make shift paint booth at your house (ie. garage)

4bangin
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
If you're able to get the equipment/supplies for $400 and you have never painted anything before. I would be willing to bet that it will not take less time or come out looking better than maaco. Materials alone usually cost AT LEAST $400 to paint a car, so if you're able to get equipment too you are going to be using some low quality shit. Also keep in mind that you're more than likely going to make a ton of mistakes your first few times. So things are going to have to be done and redone time and time again if you're the leats bit picky. It's going to get expensive. Take it to maaco if you're just wanting a cheap paint job.

RandomGuy
05-13-2005, 07:18 PM
thanks alot... now if only chmura can get back to me on how much "theyd" charge.

xplicitcivic04
05-13-2005, 07:49 PM
i need a front bumper painted blk 98 honda civic 2 door

chmura
05-14-2005, 12:39 AM
thanks alot... now if only chmura can get back to me on how much "theyd" charge.

if u want a good job u will spend some money..... honestly for 400 bucks u can't even buy all the materials and good paint......

btw.... pm sent

chmura
05-14-2005, 12:45 AM
i need a front bumper painted blk 98 honda civic 2 door

pm sent.....

RutRoe
05-15-2005, 12:17 AM
I painted my truck myself but I also worked at a body shop for a few summer so I at least had seen what to do.

I did it in a garage with fans for ventiltion.

Overspray will happen, Prep is a crazy bitch and I hate bondo. Plus it's been 5 months since I did it and I still haven't wet sanded it.

The whole Maaco or something like it is crappy is all about prep. You'd be better off spending 20 bucks on sand paper and scuffing your own car and maybe removing some trim pieces yourself and then going to Maaco than you would most likely painting it yourself for the first time.

Plus you should find friends who've got a compressor and a gun and then you could jus tbuy paint locally.

good luck

RandomGuy
05-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Plus you should find friends who've got a compressor and a gun and then you could jus tbuy paint locally.

good luck

thats the thing... my boy has a nice compressor... and an upper model ebay gun is 150 shipped.

That leaves money left for paint... ebay "High quality" clear coat is $100/gal shipped.
Other shit... etc wouldnt cost more than 500 for "high quality" shit... ppl have nice feedback too

that is my whole dilemma... but I think RutRoe's right bout just sanding it down, prepping it... then getting a Maaco Job... I never been there but do they offer better services? .. like non-300$ jobs?... like maybe something round 500... with better paint. Maybe if you bring your own clearcoat they can put it on? Heh just wondering ...thanks for posts all

chnco
05-15-2005, 12:44 AM
brads94accord posting on chnco's name

i would suggest not buying the paint from ebay and taking a trip to autocolor in marietta and have them help you w/ choosing the right paint and clear etc. its off glover street near the Marietta Daily Journal, Cobb cnty board of educ, lockheed, etc.

krindus
05-15-2005, 12:57 AM
they've got pretty high prices, but good quality paints. expect to spend a pretty penny there. theres a store off of south cobb drive, near pat mell rd i think, they've got a bit better prices. (can't think of the name) happy spraying

RandomGuy
05-15-2005, 01:02 AM
they've got pretty high prices, but good quality paints. expect to spend a pretty penny there. theres a store off of south cobb drive, near pat mell rd i think, they've got a bit better prices. (can't think of the name) happy spraying

hrm i may just buy one of those ebay videos that teach you how to do it from pros lol...

then start, because honestly how bad can the ebay paint be? People are leaving good feedback like theres no tomorow. Havent seen one "this paint is pure liquid shit"

Boneswiss
05-15-2005, 01:34 AM
I think Lowes has spray paint 5 cans for 5 bucks... thats what I am gonna do... j/k

chmura
05-15-2005, 02:09 AM
hrm i may just buy one of those ebay videos that teach you how to do it from pros lol...

then start, because honestly how bad can the ebay paint be? People are leaving good feedback like theres no tomorow. Havent seen one "this paint is pure liquid shit"

u can buy the paint in G-ville also.....

If anyone can do a better job cheaper than us then go for it....

have u seen my car???

twkg
05-15-2005, 02:30 AM
i closed off my garage w/ tarps and got a few fans to blow out the garage door....its a real learning experience if you want to do it urself. mine didnt come out that great, but that was my first time.

i wouldnt recommend a DIY unless you really know what youre doing.

the materials are too expensive to have to worry about having it reshot.

4bangin
05-15-2005, 07:45 AM

But how many of those feedbacks have had their car painted for a long period of time? People usually leave feedback as soon as they get the product, before they even use it. I doubt they paint their car, wait a few years to see if it last, then leave the feedback.

Find a PPG distributor and get some Omni products.

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 09:26 PM
i totally change my mind... I dont know who these ppl are who posted, but obviously didnt know what they were talking about... Today I was talking to a friend who had his car painted. I asked him where he got it painted, because I wanted a similar job, I was expecting 800-900$'s. It was a nice ass job on a nice ass 3 series bmw... he said he did it himself in UNDER 200 bux using ebay shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he said its super easy, you just gotta prep the car really good and then have a steady hand, and the rest a baby can do. He said it takes 2 days TOPS.

anyways i'm going to go thru with it and post up the results...

Note for DIY-ers. All you need is:
a compressor
a sprayer
some 800grit paper
plastic shit (for prepping)
other various prepping shit
primer
basecoat (the actual color of the car)
clearcoat (the shiny glass shit on top)
activator (dont know, but you need it lol)
and masks and shit and suits .. all of this shit, minus the hardware ends up round 200 bux on ebay. And the ebay shit is not LOW QUALITY , i saw the paint job it was solid... for months i thought he got it done, and when i asked I learned that he did it himself.!!!

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 09:41 PM
oh yeah and for those wanting shitty jobs, either for experience, or just for the hell of it... you can get all u need for under 70 bux on ebay... im telling u ebay is the shit. This job would be equivalent or better than a shitty maaco job.
(given you have the tools, sprayer,compressor, suit, masking tape)

chmura
05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
i totally change my mind... I dont know who these ppl are who posted, but obviously didnt know what they were talking about... Today I was talking to a friend who had his car painted. I asked him where he got it painted, because I wanted a similar job, I was expecting 800-900$'s. It was a nice ass job on a nice ass 3 series bmw... he said he did it himself in UNDER 200 bux using ebay shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he said its super easy, you just gotta prep the car really good and then have a steady hand, and the rest a baby can do. He said it takes 2 days TOPS.

anyways i'm going to go thru with it and post up the results...

Note for DIY-ers. All you need is:
a compressor
a sprayer
some 800grit paper
plastic shit (for prepping)
other various prepping shit
primer
basecoat (the actual color of the car)
clearcoat (the shiny glass shit on top)
activator (dont know, but you need it lol)
and masks and shit and suits .. all of this shit, minus the hardware ends up round 200 bux on ebay. And the ebay shit is not LOW QUALITY , i saw the paint job it was solid... for months i thought he got it done, and when i asked I learned that he did it himself.!!!

just curious what kind of a compressor and gun u r using if it cost u under $200

btw....... Good Luck

RandomGuy
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
just curious what kind of a compressor and gun u r using if it cost u under $200

btw....... Good Luck
under 200 for all the other shit... excluding sprayer and compressor.. dont know i can always borrow those heh ;)

02QR25
05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
yea i took auto collision repair for two years, 400 bucks for everything? sounds to me like u gonna get what u pay for. and for the love of god dont take anything to maaco, its all single stage crap they dont fix and dings or dents, they dont even sand it, just use scotch brite, and spray the shit. it cracks in less than a year and fades out. u could get a cheap paint job and be happy for a few months but like i said in less than a year, thats what your gonna have is a cheap paint job