PDA

View Full Version : P. Diddy soon to be even more rich...

Cliff
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
At 35, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs has already made his mark as a hip-hop musician, Broadway actor, marathon runner, fashion designer, celebrity boyfriend, gossip column favorite, voter registration booster and all-around entertainment entrepreneur.

Now, the former Puff Daddy is going into the auto parts business _ and it's all about the wheels.

Combs is joining forces with a Kansas City manufacturer to produce a new line of custom, precision-forged aluminum rims for sports trucks, luxury SUVs and high-end American- and German-made automobiles.

The 50-50 joint venture between Combs' Bad Boy Worldwide Entertainment Group and Kansas City's Weld Wheel Industries Inc. was announced Thursday at the New York International Auto Show. SJC Wheels LLC will produce and sell "Sean John Wheels," named for the entertainer. They hit stores next month, retailing at between $700 and $3,000 each.

"Wheels have become a fashion statement _ a badge of taste and style," Combs said. "We see an opportunity to bring excitement to the wheel category by delivering the Sean John sophisticated design with the best quality production."

Partner Greg Weld, the founding president and chief executive of Weld Wheel, said Combs had told him he'd show him how to "bring some sexy" to the wheel business.

Weld, a 61-year-old former auto racing driver who started his wheel manufacturing business in 1970, was a little overwhelmed at the attention attracted by his new partner, marveling at his ability to work a crowd and "build his brand."

"He is an icon in the urban market and the urban market is huge, the single biggest segment of wheel business," Weld said. "But we did not know how to tap into that market. Having a personality or high-profile person is a little like Nike getting together with Michael Jordan. It increases recognition."

"In the urban market, they call it 'bling-bling' which means showy, shiny and 'Look at me, I have a lot of bling,'" he said. "The way we've designed spokes, holes, the features, it looks like it is aggressively moving when it's not even moving."

Cliff
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
fixed

The Yousef
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
i have to say...that dude is one hell of a buisness man

SkrrEuroSportGLI
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Damn he is gonna catch up with Mr Gates..LOL

4dmin
05-12-2005, 03:38 PM
hella gay... i wouldn't spend 700-3000$ a piece for some puffy gay ass rims...

LaurenK
05-12-2005, 03:43 PM
hey...he's laugh n' all the way to the bank though...

Pablo
05-12-2005, 03:48 PM
hella gay... i wouldn't spend 700-3000$ a piece for some puffy gay ass rims...
cmon, you know you would.....
it's like the pepsi commercial

chuck
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
thats one lucky 61 year old though...i wonder how he got picked above all the big manufactures.

Cliff
05-12-2005, 05:14 PM
ummmm weld wheels are some of the baddest wheels around as far as trucks go....i mean why would puffy even try to sign a deal with someone like platinum or any other chrome wheel company....to make competition in the company...no sign up with someone who has nothing to do with that market and then instead of fighting for your spot in the market you can work towards conquering 2 markets...and you know these things will sell just like his overpriced clothes do....

Cliff
05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
http://www.weldracing.com/
check out their other products....
they are basically about like boyd's as far as style and quality goes

Cliff
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
http://www.weldracing.com/Weld_Racing/images/mainimage.jpg
http://www.weldracing.com/Weld_Racing/images/wheels.jpg

JoeCoolinATL
05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
the main wheels in that pic are the hotness :) haha i wish i had a set like that when i still had my nova ohwell that was yearss ago

RutRoe
05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Sweet dude... man knows how to hustle that's fo sho.