PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods VTEC Solenoid

Truegiant
07-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I just bought a car today. http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=66271&highlight=1999+civic

I did a basic tune-up (plugs, fuel filter, oil change)
For some reason the car does not want to switch over when its going around a turn or up a steep incline (my parents driveway or mine - I noticed the problem while I was driving up the mtn to the house - fig. I would try it out on the driveway) I pulled the solenoid off the motor and cleaned it/ checked for debris. Any ideas??? Already fixed the idling problem and I think there is a problem with either the fuel pressure reg. or the pump. The pump is a walhbro 255 but it is hella loud. I hooked up a gauge on it and it is constant when you rev it but not at idle? Got any ideas!

atlvi3tb0i
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
the car was converted to a 5 speed

Truegiant
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
yep - and...

Z0_o6
07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
you have plenty of oil in it? that will cause my car to cut in and out of VTEC around curves, if the oil is low.

Truegiant
07-07-2006, 03:23 PM
yes i just did the oil change and have checked it more than once. I am not sure whats up.

SLow_POke
07-07-2006, 11:49 PM
in turns an up hill ?? ? maybe clogged pick up ?

im just throwing ideas. loose wire.?

mahdsports
07-08-2006, 08:23 AM
what do you mean by switching over around turns or going up a steep incline? are you talking about vtec not engaging? if vtec is not engaging, check to see if the check engine light is on. also make sure your speedo is working. you have proper oil pressure since you just did the oil change so its not that. most likely not the solenoid because they dont go bad that often, but cant rule it out completely. let me know a bit more about the car and i will try and help more.

Z0_o6
07-08-2006, 08:58 AM
is the screen on the vtec solenoid clogged? that will do it.

Truegiant
07-08-2006, 11:11 AM
like I said in the first post I pulled of the solenoid and cleaned it. I checked the oil pressure and it seems fine. Its not doing it anymore. I am prlly just going to pick up another solenoid anyway. Thanks guys for the ideas.