gijoe0720
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Trion FD>ALL

AudiGirlTT
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
none of them get paid enough

gijoe0720
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
my dad is a volunteer fireman so he don't get paid anything for it right now. In a few years he can retire from it and he will get some money.

IndianStig
07-05-2006, 04:59 PM
its cause of all the volunteer ones that they don't get paid all that much

civic95
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Sad they don't make more, but at the same time you don't want people to be in it for the money. They need to do it for the right reasons. They have to want to save people, houses, etc.

ORGANIZATIONXIII
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
so they didn't override her veto?

what a shame..

mp5o
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Sad they don't make more, but at the same time you don't want people to be in it for the money. They need to do it for the right reasons. They have to want to save people, houses, etc.

Or how bout you pay them for risking thier lives to save YOU? .......

IndianStig
07-05-2006, 05:07 PM

:goodjob:

civic95
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Your taking it the wrong way. Do they deserve more? Yes.

But at the same time you don't want it to be like the military. Too many people join the military for a pension and/or money for college, signon bonus, etc. Not because they want to protect this country. Then when they are deployed they're upset, and whine.

If firefighters make $60K, do you know how many people would be signing up? A ton. To sign up for $30K starting salary you have to want to be a firefighter. Money is not an issue you just want to do it. And thats the person you want coming to your rescue. I know a person that passed at the top of his class. He got to skip the starting salary range. He lasted 2 months, then decided he wasn't making enough money. He wasn't the right person to be a firefighter. Money was an issue.

BTW my uncle, and grandfather are both firefighters.

AudiGirlTT
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Your taking it the wrong way. Do they deserve more? Yes.

But at the same time you don't want it to be like the military. Too many people join the military for a pension and/or money for college, signon bonus, etc. Not because they want to protect this country. Then when they are deployed they're upset, and whine.

If firefighters make $60K, do you know how many people would be signing up? A ton. To sign up for $30K starting salary you have to want to be a firefighter. Money is not an issue you just want to do it. And thats the person you want coming to your rescue. I know a person that passed at the top of his class. He got to skip the starting salary range. He lasted 2 months, then decided he wasn't making enough money. He wasn't the right person to be a firefighter. Money was an issue.

BTW my uncle, and grandfather are both firefighters.

I dont agree with your arguement on this.....30k is hardly enough to survive nevermind raise a family. My husband had to quit doing what he loved which was a fulltime firefighter so he could make enough to support his family and yes thats including me working fulltime also....

It was never an issue about the love...point is money does play a big part in life and society...you need to eat and live you cant survive on a love of a job alone! Also when you pay such shitty salaries you dont get the creme of the crop applying.... You get people who shouldnt be firefighters and EMT's..and why is this? because anyone with half a brain knows they can make more money elsewhere for doing less hazardous work..I know this first hand because I see what "quality" the fire dept in my town is....

5thgcelica
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
psh.. all yall talking about how you cant live off 30k

my step dad is self employeed, my mother stays at home with my brothers and sister, there are 6 of us in this hoiuse....and for the past 5 years we've lived on 20k-25k.

damn i wish we had 30k. that'd be a dream come true.
peope need to stop spending so much freaking money on shit they dont need. like freaking BMW's and Audi's and 250k homes. pisses me off when people complain that they dont make enough money when they make 40k or higher and its only two people on that income.

ruah_23
07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I am on both side of the situation. Yes they deserve to get raise.I don't see why their job is any less dangerous than the PD.The PD got paid more than us anywhere in GA. On the other hand, I don't see why they are complaining. They know how much they gon get when they sign up to become a ff.and besides that, they are a lot of people on the waiting list waiting to get hired. That's why the mayor is not too worried abt it.

civic95- You don't have to wait till they give u 60k. even know with 30+K salary alot of people have tried to get in. During the time when I applied..there were abt 900 applicants and they choose only 20(including the paramedic) to get hired and go into the recruit school.Even than..there are still drop outs during recruit school.

audigirltt- Are u sure ur husband quit the job because he can't support u guys? That's a lame excuse. Look at it this way. You work 24 hrs and u have 48 hrs off.One wk u only work for 2 days and the other 3 days. So tell me..during his day off he couldn't find a part time job?? or overtime?. I know a lot of FF who makes more than what the general people think because they have their own bussiness or they are willing to put the extra effort to support their family. IF your husband is the type of FF who wanna relax during his 2 day off than I'm sorry to tell u..he doesn't love the job. If he loves the job, he will do whatever he can to keep it.

AudiGirlTT
07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I am on both side of the situation. Yes they deserve to get raise.I don't see why their job is any less dangerous than the PD.The PD got paid more than us anywhere in GA. On the other hand, I don't see why they are complaining. They know how much they gon get when they sign up to become a ff.and besides that, they are a lot of people on the waiting list waiting to get hired. That's why the mayor is not too worried abt it.

civic95- You don't have to wait till they give u 60k. even know with 30+K salary alot of people have tried to get in. During the time when I applied..there were abt 900 applicants and they choose only 20(including the paramedic) to get hired and go into the recruit school.Even than..there are still drop outs during recruit school.

audigirltt- Are u sure ur husband quit the job because he can't support u guys? That's a lame excuse. Look at it this way. You work 24 hrs and u have 48 hrs off.One wk u only work for 2 days and the other 3 days. So tell me..during his day off he couldn't find a part time job?? or overtime?. I know a lot of FF who makes more than what the general people think because they have their own bussiness or they are willing to put the extra effort to support their family. IF your husband is the type of FF who wanna relax during his 2 day off than I'm sorry to tell u..he doesn't love the job. If he loves the job, he will do whatever he can to keep it.

Just make sure you know all the facts first....Dawson Co does not work "regular" shifts...all firefighters work mon-fri 7-5:30 like a normal job....There is no such thing as overtime and they frown upon getting second jobs

BABY J
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
its cause of all the volunteer ones that they don't get paid all that much

Not true man. No offense, but do not post things like this if you are unsure about how public services are funded.

ruah_23
07-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Just make sure you know all the facts first....Dawson Co does not work "regular" shifts...all firefighters work mon-fri 7-5:30 like a normal job....There is no such thing as overtime and they frown upon getting second jobs

Hmm ok...I still wondering though..if he had a hard time...why y'all can afford to buy an audi and BMW:rolleyes:

BABY J
07-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah. I think I'd simply check neighboring counties' before I got out of it altogether if I loved it so much. Like in my field (I.T), you gotta go where the money is.

fight club
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM

well fuck. i hope i never live in dawson county and that my stove catches my house on fire while cooking dinner, there wont be anyone there. ;) they can also work a night shift im sure. there are ways to live on that kind of money. just not with an audi tt and a bmw.

5thgcelica
07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmm ok...I still wondering though..if he had a hard time...why y'all can afford to buy an audi and BMW:rolleyes:

thats what im sayin...thats what i said in my post... my family has 6 people in it and we've lived off 20k-25k for the past 5 years...

dont tell me you cant live off 30k from one person. you can survive on that no problem... i guess peoples prioritys are in cars, dvds, plasma tvs and what the hell ever else... and not in shelter and food.

ruah_23
07-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah. I think I'd simply check neighboring counties' before I got out of it altogether if I loved it so much. Like in my field (I.T), you gotta go where the money is.

It's totally different. If ever try applying for a goverenemnt job,especially public safety, it's a very long difficult process.It took me a year for them to hire me.It's either u leave the career or u stay till u retire.

BABY J
07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I have worked for the government since 1997. And even WORSE than you --> the FEDERAL Gov. And it operates just like local gov... good old boy system. It's all about who you know.

ruah_23
07-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I have worked for the government since 1997. And even WORSE than you --> the FEDERAL Gov. And it operates just like local gov... good old boy system. It's all about who you know.

Do you work for public safety? because u can find any other job in the county and public safety is a whole different ball game when it come to the hiring process. Hell u can apply as a lifeguard and get hired the next day..not with public safety..nah ah...even the chief's son doesn't get hire that fast.

BABY J
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
LOL. Must be quite the challenge then. :) And no, I work for the Dept of Defense.

AudiGirlTT
07-07-2006, 06:21 AM

He hasnt been a full time firefighter in 3 years now... At the time we wouldnt have afforded what we have but we are blessed and both have kickass jobs now that we can afford living fairly well and provide for our daughter... he still volunteers when he can at the firestation.