PDA

View Full Version : Misc Info on loading video from a digital video recorder

99SI
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a Panasonic video camera that I got used. It records in a digital format onto a little cassette, as I'm sure that you have gathered so far I am not very handy/familiar with this sort of thing. The camera has a USB port on it, is that all I need to load from the video camera to the computer? I'm trying to get a little more info on the camera so when I do I'll post it up. Thanks.

99SI
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Panasonic PVDV102D Mini DV recorder. Any help would be appreciated. Is there any particular software that would be needed in order to do it?

joecoolfreak
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
No, you cannot transfer the video with the usb port. That would be for still pictures only. You will have to use the analog video ports (rca jack) and your computer most likely does not have inputs for rca so you would need some form of capture card to send the video straight to the computer. I can probably explain it better on the phone if you would like. Pm me for details.

99SI
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
sent you a PM. Thanks.

blacknightteg
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
on the contrary.....in some instances you are able to do it with USB and or Fire wire, most of the time it depends on the model of the camcorder and the software it might come with. i am not to sure about the 102, i sell panasonic camcorders and what not but im not familiar with that model. if you are wanting a good camcorder that you are able to do that, consider the JVC Averio, it is a hard drive camcorder that comes in a few gig sizes. they are very good for video and video is transfered by USB and or RCA.

joecoolfreak
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
on the contrary.....in some instances you are able to do it with USB and or Fire wire, most of the time it depends on the model of the camcorder and the software it might come with. i am not to sure about the 102, i sell panasonic camcorders and what not but im not familiar with that model. if you are wanting a good camcorder that you are able to do that, consider the JVC Averio, it is a hard drive camcorder that comes in a few gig sizes. they are very good for video and video is transfered by USB and or RCA.

You can only transfer video from a digital medium through usb. The camera's that you refer to store video on a hard drive or memory card, or even sometime's dvd's which are digial media. DV cassettes however store digital data on analog media and I have yet to see one that will transfer through usb. He said that his used a cassette, hence my answer should still be correct.

99SI
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I picked up the camera with battery, charger, and camera case for $120. at a place called Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro Alabama. They buy peoples lost luggage that goes unclaimed in bulk and it was in good shape and I figured I'd be able to transfer in some way from the camera to computer since it did record digitally, easier than a high 9 or VHS anyway. I'm just not very familiar and since I do not have a manual for the camera I needed a bit of help. Joecoolfreak I appreciate your input and I've got Jill checking into what we need to get.