PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with nolo contendere?

bigb996
05-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Ok i have posted about having to go to court. I was originally thinking of pleaing nolo contendere. However i was told by a few people you can only plea that 1 time in your life. Is this true? or a mythe? Also i was then gonna plea not guilty but the judge will prolly get pissed so i am prolly just gonna plea guilty and pay my fine and be done.

RandomGuy
05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
i think its like once every 5 years

SaraX5
05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
yeah you can only plea nolo once every five years. It will still go on your record but you won't get any points against you

bigb996
05-11-2005, 11:52 PM
ok well my friend plead that last year and it was a traffic ticket this one is a criminal ticket and hes said hes doing it again. I told him he cant and i htink i am just gonna take the guilty charge. I dunno are judges usually harsh?

SaraX5
05-12-2005, 12:22 AM
depends on what court you are going to and the circumstances. If this is the 1st criminal charge against you ever and its minor the judges are usually really lenient and put you on probation and give you some community service to do. But really its a case by case situation with judges and how they feel that day. Make a good impression, dress nice, shave, bla bla bla...
You should talk to a lawyer though if it is criminal and you've used your nolo

The Yousef
05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
depends on what court you are going to and the circumstances. If this is the 1st criminal charge against you ever and its minor the judges are usually really lenient and put you on probation and give you some community service to do. But really its a case by case situation with judges and how they feel that day. Make a good impression, dress nice, shave, bla bla bla...
You should talk to a lawyer though if it is criminal and you've used your nolo

...exactly

i used mine when i was 16 for speeding 88 in a 65...thank goodness i got it back...lol

yousef

ruah_23
05-12-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't see the point why the judge has to be lenient against juvenile with criminal charges.If it's just traffic charges I wouldn't mind but criminal charges should be taken seriously...Do you wish to see someone only doing community service for car theft or beating up somebody ect ect..

Not me.

chrisdavis
05-12-2005, 08:51 AM
If Im not mistaken its a disorderly conduct charge that he has. Nolo would be a waste because its not a traffic violation. He should talk to the D.A. about pleading no contest.

Ms Dollar
05-12-2005, 10:40 AM
definitely talk to the DA and it's once every 5 years, and if this is just a one time fuck up then definitely go with Nolo...it will then go on your criminal record but not your driving record...really good for driving violations

AtifSajid
05-12-2005, 10:44 AM
dont do guilty...that mean your saying you did the crime, it makes a difference depending what judge it is, take the advice of your public defendant, but dont do guilty, judges usually look at you like this fucker knows he did wrong and he is admitting to it. Choose nolo even if you have used it before. they dont keep track of that stuff.

Cliff
05-12-2005, 11:13 AM
can we make the meaning and conditions of NOLO a sticky...we have someone post wanting to know about once a week...lol

Jimmy B
05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
you can plead no-lo every 5 years for all difffrent offences.. speedins is one, wreckless drivng in one, running a stop sign is one.. etc... its every 5 years PER offence

bigb996
05-12-2005, 11:21 AM
yes its a criminal misdemeaner charge. Disorderly conduct. This is exactly what my ticket says *passenger* stated he had previous knowledge they were coming to braselton to burnout. I was only riding and htis is my first offense but i am trying to understand all the nolo stuff before i hit the judge. All the definitions i find are very subtle. I also do not have an attorney and i want the least punishment i can because its really not fair what im gettin all this for. Plus the f'n fine is 275.00! thanks guys

Streetking322
05-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Allowed to pled Nolo once every 5 years. Only allowed to pled Nolo if your over the age of 21. Can only pled Nolo in single ticket Situations. If you got more than one ticket at the time you can't.

HyPer50
05-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Just plead no lo, it's a once every few year thing, but no... whoever told you that you can only use it once in your life was full of it.

bigb996
05-13-2005, 11:01 AM
you have to be 21? are you sure about that because my friends plead this back when they were 16-17. I am 20 now.

Jaimecbr900
05-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry to say, but you should've NEVER admitted what you did to the police. Now, it's going to be used against you. Had you not said anything, you could simply tell the DA that you were a passenger and that's that.

That's all water under the bridge now though.

Personally, I'd plead not guilty and get me a lawyer to fight it.

bigb996
05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
see its such a weird case the way it worked out. My friend admitted to it before i was questioned so lying would have gotten me in more trouble and i never completly admitted to it.

boosted1jz
05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
plea not guilty anyways!!!!! always always always plea not guilty...... and when you go to talk to the solicitor(sp?) just say, i was in the car yes, but had nothing to do with what was going on.... he will either A) let you go. or B) will lower the fine

nolo contender will only not put the charge on your record but you will still have to pay the fine

chris

ahmonrah
05-17-2005, 09:17 AM
"one every 5 " in essensce you can only plead nolo once every 5 years for the same charge.

bigb996
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
so not guilty regardless? im not good at this court stuff ive never been before.

The Yousef
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
you have to be 21? are you sure about that because my friends plead this back when they were 16-17. I am 20 now.

no...i used it when i was 16

civic95
05-17-2005, 03:33 PM
you got a disorderly conduct charge for riding with someone doing burnouts?

Doesn't sound like it'll hold up, but on the otherhand a lawyer will cost you more than the fine (and they know that). You might as well plea not quilty. Just because you were there, you were not the one driving, creating smoke/noise, that could be considered disorderly. I doubt the cop will show up to court on this charge anyway. The cop has 2 chances to show, if he misses both the charge will be dropped. If you plead not quilty, they will have to hold a jury or bench trial. Not something they will deam worthy of the time.
They will most likely offer you a deal to get you to plead guilty (Maybe a $50 fine or something) just to get you out of there.
I would pay it just to get it over with. This is not a case a judge would consider "very important", and will probably be annoyed by it. Even a traffic court judge has more important things to rule on like DUI's, driving without insurance, hit and run, etc.

You have some options..but I would definitely save my NOLO for something else.

bigb996
05-17-2005, 05:03 PM
thanks alot man you explained it very well. I figured it was so small that it wouldnt matter.