PDA

View Full Version : GM ( General Motors ) getting a HUGE break?

Julio
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Nissan & Renault offer them a Deal for all 3 companies to merge...

If GM turns this down they better have something GREAT up there sleeves. Because they are going down hill.

I dont know

On_Her_Face
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
fuck.. if they do, there goes nissan down the drain

ironchef
07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
fuck.. if they do, there goes nissan down the drainYep :(, Nissan needs to stay away, and if they have to merge with anyone merge with bmw or something. Then it really will become the ultimate driving machine haha.

boosted1jz
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
i heard they are going to be changing their lineup of vehicles too..... to mostly rear wheel drive

BigPoppaHurtm
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Iwanna start my own car company. THis shits ridiculous with how automakers cant seem to figure out what ppl want. It must be hard trying to decide whats gonna be popular a few years from know.

The Ninja
07-03-2006, 06:36 PM
yea...thats weird....well...

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 07:02 PM
if you read last months forbes there was a great article about this. its been coming for a long time. The CEO of NISSAN has been eyeing FORD an GM for his latest project. He turned Nissan around in just under 4 years.

I wish i could remember what his name was. The guy runs Renault AND nissan, an flys back an forth between the 2 during the week, they say hes the hardest working man in the world

Julio
07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Carlos Ghosn?

ironchef
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Carlos Ghosn?Bingo! He really helped turn nissan/infiniti around from the near brink of bankrupcy to where they are now.

On_Her_Face
07-03-2006, 07:27 PM
which they are the shit now.

blacknightteg
07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
only thing i wouldnt like is like what ford did to mazda, using a lot of their platforms for mazda cars. so if they did that with like nissan, id cry

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Carlos Ghosn?
Bingo!

read his biography, really neat an intelligent guy

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Heres some reports on him

Carlos Ghosn is known to work upwards of 70 hours a week, jet-setting to and from various continents to monitor an auto empire that he has been lauded worldwide for rescuing.

Ghosn (rhymes with "cone") runs two of the largest car companies in the world -- Nissan Motor Co. and Renault SA, of which he became chief executive officer last April.

Ghosn, 52, is known in the auto industry as a legendary turnaround man for saving nearly bankrupt Nissan in 1999-2001 after Renault bought a controlling stake in the Japanese automaker. He restored profits to Nissan in 2000 and cut the company's $19-billion debt in half in two years.

Nissan and Renault now have combined sales of $133 billion a year, with a net income of $8 billion and 9.7% in market share.

"When you look at his track record, it's certainly impressive in the sense that he did something that no one else had ever done -- a non-Asian becoming a CEO of a Japanese car company," Joe Phillippi, a principal at New Jersey-based AutoTrends Consulting, said Friday. "He had the strong medicine that a then-very sick car company, Nissan, needed to get back on its feet."

Before his position at Nissan, Ghosn worked in virtual obscurity, spending 18 years at the Michelin Group tire manufacturer after graduate school in Paris.

In 1996, Renault tapped him to help cut costs and reverse heavy losses. Forbes magazine says he was nicknamed "Le Cost Killer" because of his overhaul, which included closing a factory and laying off 3,200 workers. He hated the nickname.

"The leader has to be somebody the people ... want to hear from," Ghosn told the Free Press last year.

"He can't be somebody scary or indifferent. The motivational aspect of leadership is very important."

Despite the negative moniker, he built a solid reputation for himself as a get-it-done man. Nissan came calling for help in 1999. Renault offered $5 billion and Ghosn.

Forbes says Nissan's then-president, Yoshikazu Hanawa, now honorary chairman, stepped aside.

Nissan has grappled with weaker sales during the past eight months, and during a shareholder's meeting Tuesday, Ghosn acknowledged it may fall short of its forecast. He said he was confident that a string of new models to be unveiled after Oct. 1 would help improve the bottom line.

But others say that despite his superhero status, he isn't infallible.

"He doesn't walk on water, and he can't fly through the air," said Jim Hossack, an industry analyst with AutoPacific, a consulting firm in California.

"He's intelligent, hard-working and charismatic, but he's not Superman and neither is anybody else," said Hossack, who added that an alliance with GM would give even Ghosn headaches.

"GM is big and complex. ...If you haven't had 25 years at GM learning the quirks of the organization, the unions and the suppliers...this isn't a game you can easily learn," he said.

Maryann Keller, a veteran automotive analyst, agreed that Ghosn, once featured as a comic-book hero in Japan, has run out of tricks.

"I think Kirk Kerkorian thinks Ghosn is a magician, and I don't think he is," Keller said. "He did the obvious things to fix Nissan, but right now, he is struggling with trying to maintain Nissan against Toyota and Honda, and he's not succeeding."

Phillippi said the only way a potential Ghosn merger with General Motors Corp. would work would be for GM Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner to step down.

"They'd have to take over GM -- either 100% or at least 51%, so they are in charge. Carlos is going to have to run the store."

Carlos Ghosn, the troubleshooter charged with reviving Nissan Motor Co. (NSANY), likes to be called the ''Icebreaker.'' It's a nickname he got from DaimlerChrysler Chairman Jurgen E. Schrempp for his skill at ignoring local business practices that stand in the way of making money. The 46-year-old Brazilian-born Ghosn has worked in turnaround situations at Renault in France and at Michelin's U.S. operations. He moved to Nissan in Japan in 1999 and has vowed to quit if the auto maker isn't profitable by March.

His so-called Nissan Revival seems to be working. But Ghosn is definitely an iconoclast. He passes up power breakfasts to stay home and eat with his four kids. He defies Japanese business etiquette and shakes hands with every employee he meets, not just top managers. And he has cut thousands of Nissan jobs, shut the first of five domestic plants, and auctioned off prized assets such as Nissan's aerospace unit. Result? Nissan was in the black for the six months ended in September and expects record profits of $2.3 billion for fiscal 2001.

But his radical moves have made him Public Enemy No. 1 to Japanese traditionalists, not to mention the influential Japan Auto Parts Industries Assn., which has publicly rebuked Nissan's new management. When Ghosn skipped a New Year's party hosted by Nissan's own parts suppliers, it was considered a sign of bad faith. That was ''a good lesson,'' says a chastened Ghosn, who vows to attend the 2001 party.

If the Icebreaker succeeds in restoring Nissan's health, industry talk is that he may return to Renault as its boss. Then he can breach French etiquette.

StupidBikerBoy
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
GM is by far the largest automaker for a reason.

They're not going anywhere.

JITB
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
only thing i wouldnt like is like what ford did to mazda, using a lot of their platforms for mazda cars. so if they did that with like nissan, id cry

that was a good thing all the ford/mazda vehicles were some of fords/mazdas best rated vehicles. 90-94 protege/escor/tracert Probe/mx6 Mazda6/Fusion - Focus/mazda3. what messed gm up anyway? was it the whole union deal that put them under? Because GM is selling alot of cars...i think?

JITB
07-03-2006, 08:02 PM

i agree if GM goes than it will hurt our economy pretty bad

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
the big 3 american auto makers are severly down in profit.

Rising labor costs, greedy unions, better foreign made cars are killing them.

ironchef
07-03-2006, 08:04 PM

They're not going anywhere.Its not cause they make good cars, thats for sure.

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 08:04 PM
GM wont go DOWN, they will be taken over, which i see happening VERY soon. Same with FORD.

2.0civic
07-03-2006, 08:05 PM
GM wont go DOWN, they will be taken over, which i see happening VERY soon. Same with FORD.

could you imagine the once proud AMERICAN DREAM being ran by foreigners??

JITB
07-03-2006, 08:06 PM
the big 3 american auto makers are severly down in profit.

Rising labor costs, greedy unions, better foreign made cars are killing them.

thats what i figured, b/c it seems that domestic companies are selling vehicles.

blacknightteg
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
could you imagine the once proud AMERICAN DREAM being ran by foreigners??

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

Julio
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
thats what i figured, b/c it seems that domestic companies are selling vehicles.

Down 26% last month.. whos buying them ?

That has been the story at GM over the past year.

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Julio must be watching the same FOX NEWS report i am ;)

Julio
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Julio must be watching the same FOX NEWS report i am ;)

I like reading forbes.com :D

JITB
07-03-2006, 08:13 PM

i was going off what i see int he street...lol, didnt have any facts with it. But i guess they arent.

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 08:17 PM
forbes FTW!

Julio
07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
i was going off what i see int he street...lol, didnt have any facts with it. But i guess they arent.

People are still buying them, but 26 % is a HUGe chunk. Might not look it, but GM is feeling it though.. Month after month.. sucks.

blacknightteg
07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
oh, and to top all that off, i dont know if it will effect anything alot. but, from what my dad told me, mercades is planning on bringing the smart car over from Europe. so that might kinda put a kink in american auto makers works as well

Vteckidd
07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
smart car is coming soon, its in europe already, there is an add for it in the new TOP GEAR

blacknightteg
07-03-2006, 08:43 PM
yeah, i forget when they said they were goin to bring it over, but if i remember it was eitehr goin to be either sometime in 07 or 08

Stormhammer
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
the smart car has been in europe for liek 5 years now... me and 2 frieds picked one up and moved it across the street once in germany... the owner was really confused

anyways - yea, GM sales suck - notice how all the ads are big blow out sales? I can't even think of a big popular selling GM vehicle ( save maybe some chevy trucks? - but dodge pwned ppl in that section, with nissan then toyota ) - GM needs to shape up, and I think alot is going to rely on the new Camaro concept, but... well, I guess time will only tell how well that design is accepted

tony
07-03-2006, 09:31 PM

You're not serious right?

Toyota is far ahead of their projections to beat out the big 3 and its inevitable that they will. The big 3 have unions that are bleeding them to death, Toyota, Nissan and Honda do not have to deal with that and they make cars with better quality.

Personally I fear more for Nissan than I do GM in a deal like this.

Repost Squintz
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
if nissan merges w/gm no nissans for me...

StupidBikerBoy
07-03-2006, 10:06 PM
You're not serious right?

Umm, yes.

As it stands NOW, GM is still the largest by far.

This may change, but it will take years, not months.

Personally, Im more worried about Nissan also.

blacknightteg
07-03-2006, 10:14 PM
GM can EAD

green91
07-03-2006, 10:22 PM

The Roman Empire was the largest civilization in the world, and look where it is now..

Deaf Pimp
07-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't think it's a bad thing. Look at Chrysler/Daimler... they are producing some decent looking cars.

On_Her_Face
07-03-2006, 10:37 PM
fuck i need to get my 350z before they merge

GirlieZ
07-03-2006, 11:12 PM
im glad i got my z when i did :(

On_Her_Face
07 will still b all nissan biatch!

GirlieZ
I don't think it's a bad thing. Look at Chrysler/Daimler... they are producing some decent looking cars.
they might look nice , but there isnt any quality there

GirlieZ
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
07 will still b all nissan biatch!
i wasnt callin u out billy....shouldnt you be lookin for ur hat!

Deaf Pimp
07-03-2006, 11:21 PM
they might look nice , but there isnt any quality there

What do you mean by quality? Interior quality, build quality? Mercedes has a great reputation for very reliable drivetrains... and most of the Chrysler drivetrains are now from Mercedes parts bin.

GirlieZ
07-03-2006, 11:28 PM
internals...a family friend is the head tech for ford in the southeast, they ripped apart the new chrysler vehicles...the mix of components doesnt benifit they longivity what-so-ever

JITB
07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
most of the daimler vehicles are mercedes powered anyway..

collins
07-03-2006, 11:58 PM
gm's not so bad, guys! ;)

GirlieZ
07-04-2006, 12:01 AM
haha i wont tell baby!

collins
07-04-2006, 12:14 AM
tell what? i had an s-10 for my first vehicle. lol quite a few stories to be told about THAT one! hahaha

RandomGuy
07-04-2006, 12:15 AM
tell what? i had an s-10 for my first vehicle. lol quite a few stories to be told about THAT one! hahaha
you have very important pm

collins
07-04-2006, 12:17 AM
hahhaha, yeah, i saw that. i remember that... who was it that said it tho?

On_Her_Face
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
i wasnt callin u out billy....shouldnt you be lookin for ur hat!

i lost it.. FUCK lol

collins
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
another one bites teh dust!

On_Her_Face
07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
:doh:
another one bites teh dust!

green91
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I seriously doubt even if there is a merger or anything like that that nissan cars will start to be built like gms.

On_Her_Face
07-04-2006, 11:06 AM
actually it would b the otherway around

green91
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I doubt it would go either way truthfully. Both would continue buidling the way they have. I think its the Nissan management that would try and change things at GM..

collins
07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
so i could have a jdm gto?

On_Her_Face
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
yep, jdm yo

JoeCoolinATL
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Yep :(, Nissan needs to stay away, and if they have to merge with anyone merge with bmw or something. Then it really will become the ultimate driving machine haha.

not at all
then bmw would be shitty.
and i own a nissan and bmw
so trust me.
bmw needs to stay away from any other companies

auxiliary
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
maybe we could get 350z's with ls1's in them....

JoeCoolinATL
07-04-2006, 06:07 PM

hahaha
give it a few more years, with unions bleeding this country dry, we'll wakeup to the big 3 being no longer owned by americans.

then, maybe the fucking unions will shutup.

nightracer
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
They just need to make it legal for GM to shake the Unions. If that happened, GM would turn around. They can't do shit with Unions bleeding them to death.

tybalt6691
07-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Bad news for you infiniti(sp) drivers

green91
07-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Bad news for you infiniti(sp) drivers

See i dont understand dumbass comments like this. GM has their core line-up that is similiar, but theyve changed very little toward GM style on their other cars like Saab or Subaru. What makes everyone think GM will gayify nissan/infinity? Why would they change a remotely successful company to a failing model theyve already got?

JITB
07-04-2006, 10:51 PM
See i dont understand dumbass comments like this. GM has their core line-up that is similiar, but theyve changed very little toward GM style on their other cars like Saab or Subaru. What makes everyone think GM will gayify nissan/infinity? Why would they change a remotely successful company to a failing model theyve already got?

b/c people think stupidly

ironchef
07-05-2006, 12:24 AM
See i dont understand dumbass comments like this. GM has their core line-up that is similiar, but theyve changed very little toward GM style on their other cars like Saab or Subaru. What makes everyone think GM will gayify nissan/infinity? Why would they change a remotely successful company to a failing model theyve already got?Since when did GM own subaru at all?

yerrow
07-05-2006, 06:48 AM
very recently. it was just a small piece of subaru and saab. thats why saab was able to produce the 92x which was a wrx wagon ,turbo flat-4 and all.

redlinenprelude
07-05-2006, 07:00 AM
"Renault tapped him"

Ronv350z
07-05-2006, 07:16 AM
its nothing GM just needs financial backing to prevent them from filing bankrupt! it just like Ford did with Jag,Volvo,Land Rover, and Mazda. Gm ha already sold Gmac so they have been cutting back for awhile

chrisdavis
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM

That is compared to last year, in which they were offering employee pricing to the public. Year to date is only down 12.2%

Year to date total vehicle sales for others

Toyota up 9.8%

Honda up 3.8%

Chrysler down 4.9%

Ford down 3.8%

Nissan down 19%

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14959067.htm

ShooterMcGavin
07-06-2006, 07:50 AM
if gm had any smarts they'd be all over this opportunity like a drowning man on a piece of drift wood. i think it's pretty interesting, albeit no big surprise, that the avg japanese car/truck (or maybe just one or the other) have a lot turnover ratio twice that of an american made car.

StupidBikerBoy
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
hahaha
give it a few more years, with unions bleeding this country dry, we'll wakeup to the big 3 being no longer owned by americans.

then, maybe the fucking unions will shutup.

Sooo true

Ds03tiburon
07-07-2006, 12:56 AM
i keep hearing a lot about unions bleeding them dry but in reality it's the pricing and quality of the vehicles that is hurting GM. Think about it, would you pay 40,000 for a gm truck when you can get a nissan for 30,000 with more features and more hp/tq and better gas mileage, towing capacity, interior room etc... i sure as hell wouldn't!! gm has been stuck on installing cheap interiors for years, even in their high end vehicles compared to foreign car makers. i had a tiburon a while back and the interior in it was way nicer than 95% of gm vehicles and better quality but a lot cheaper.
also, i am in the union and unless you have been in one you can't bash them. do you get breaks at work and overtime? guess what, if it wasn't for the unions you would be working 60+ hours a week straight time and may or may not get a break at all!!! Also the unions faught to have payed holidays, i gues no one enjoys those either. and lastly it's usually the greedy Ceo's and upper managment that break a company. i mean really think about it, do they deserve to make millions a year when in all actuality they don't do shit but play golf and get freebies. and i'm not talking out of my ass on this i have seen it first hand growing up in that enviroment. so, before you go bashing unions, you really should do more research on what they have done for all workers today, not just union workers. best way to describe it is, have you ever been fired at a job for no reason or laid off without proof of a need to cut back? that can't happen to me, unless i do it to myself because the union backs me 100% as long as i keep my nose clean.

bottom line is the companies want the unions out because they have to stick to safe and fair work practices and decent wages and health care for their employees. if they have the unions gone they can pay people $8 an hour and employees pay all of their health care.

sorry for the long rant but just wanted to clarify what unions actually do instead of the bad press the companies want you to read. maybe this will clear things up a bit. just remember unions fight for the working class and keep things fair!!

StupidBikerBoy
07-07-2006, 04:41 AM
Don't know about it being pricing and quality. GM quality IMO has been the best to me than any other vehicle I have owned. I had a work truck that I put over 300k miles on and only had to rebuild the trans once, nothing else other than expected maintenence. Ran good when I sold it. As far as trucks, GM has been proven to be the longest lasting.

I terms of pricing, I can only speak from personal experience, but I looked for my newest truck for 6 months before I bought one. I looked at nissan, toyota, gm, and ford mainly. I ended up going with a GMC 1500HD Crew. It had more room, can pull (slightly) more, and was cheaper than the nissan and toyota. And from friends accounts, I average just as good or better mileage.:2cents:

I really wanted a Titan crew cab, but I found them (and the toyotas) to be overly priced when I was comparing.

Not to bad mouth the union or anything, but I deal with it where I work (BASF). In my experience with it they are constantly asking for to much. Defending the working man is a great thing, but here its not about that anymore. Its all about politics, power, and personal gain now. Even some of my friends in the union here will admit to that.

Ds03tiburon
07-08-2006, 01:57 AM
i understand your point but i guess i went a little overboard with the rant. basically what i was trying to say was that most of the time it's the big wigs that screw things up, not the unions but they always blame the unions for money problems. i know when our new contracts come up in 2008, if they cut our benefits anymore i will be looking for another job. they want to cut our benefits every chance they get but then turn around and give our CEO 2.4 million a year raise. thats makes no sense!! do you think it does?

JoeCoolinATL
07-08-2006, 05:05 AM
id cut all the unions shit too.
unions=serve no purpose in todays world.

yerrow
07-08-2006, 09:08 AM
in todays workplace, there is no need for unions. back in the 20-30's when manual laborers were taken advantage of...sure unions were a must.
nowadays, where employers take good care of their people, unions are a hassle and a way for the employees to take advantage of their employers.

unions don't make anything better. they create friction in the workplace.

ask anyone thats in a union like kroger's, ask them how much they've had deducted from the paycheck and for how long. ask them when was the last time they needed the union to fight for them? in todays workplace, most employers ( we like to think) value their employees to much because of competition in the market to intentionally take advantage of the employees.

GM for the most part has made undesirable product with marginal reliability and have struggled to offer products that are close to as good as many competitors. thats a recipe for very little profits.

StupidBikerBoy
07-08-2006, 03:00 PM
i understand your point but i guess i went a little overboard with the rant. basically what i was trying to say was that most of the time it's the big wigs that screw things up, not the unions but they always blame the unions for money problems. i know when our new contracts come up in 2008, if they cut our benefits anymore i will be looking for another job. they want to cut our benefits every chance they get but then turn around and give our CEO 2.4 million a year raise. thats makes no sense!! do you think it does?
I agree mostly, its the men with power that usually screw it up.