PDA

View Full Version : HELP , my headgasket!!!

Skillet
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
there is motor oil in my radiator and my reserve tank even after i drain it and refill it with anitfreeze, I was told my head gasket is blown........will changing the headgasket fix this problem completely or do i have to do something else

OHH BTW...how long can i run with a blown headgasket

SLow_POke
06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
there is motor oil in my radiator and my reserve tank even after i drain it and refill it with anitfreeze, I was told my head gasket is blown........will changing the headgasket fix this problem completely or do i have to do something else

hmm dont run it one blown head gasket . .

Yeah getting a new head gasket in will most liekly fix the problem.. hows your engine oil? milky?

did it even overheat on you ?

EmminoDaGreat
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
/\/\/\/\ what he said...

CSquared
06-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Drop the keys and find some other means of travel... If it's at the point where there are noticable quantities of oil mixing with your coolant, you need to get this problem adressed immediately. You'll only do more damage if you run the car with a blown headgasket.

As far as other things to be adressed... You should always have at least the head resurfaced during a gasket change. If the car overheated you may have cracked or warped the head, so you should bring it to a machine shop to have it pressure tested either way. Aside from a gasket and the machine shop work, the rest of the fix is pretty straight foward if you are looking to take the cheap way out.

I'll say it again... If you continue to drive the car under the current condition, be prepared to replace or rebuild the block as well.

Skillet
06-26-2006, 07:48 AM
yes the car overheated only one time but I got it fixed immediately it overheated because....the radiator busted......how do you know id the head is warped

IntegraXTR
06-26-2006, 08:16 AM
you don't until you take the head off

SLow_POke
06-26-2006, 09:04 AM
you should have it checked for warpage . only a machine ahop wil be able to telll you . , or any other shop that knwos how to use a straight edge :crazy: . ita not expensive . you should resurfacew it anyway:)

Skillet
06-26-2006, 09:49 AM
how much do you guys think it'll cost

CSquared
06-26-2006, 10:20 AM
The whole job including machine shop work? $1000 give or take a few hundred.

SLow_POke
06-26-2006, 10:22 AM
i use to get resurfacing done for free at the machine i used in cali LOL. but they cost ruffly $20 to resurface the head(mill it)

call these shops get a price quote http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=67791

SLow_POke
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
The whole job including machine shop work? $1000 give or take a few hundred.

whoa am i missing something?

Skillet
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
my car only overheated for like 4 minutes, if that, then i got it towed and fixed the radiator immediatley........is there a chance my head is warped

SLow_POke
06-26-2006, 10:31 AM
it might be its a chance but shouldnt be that much to resurface it . unless they heat the head to make it staright then ya thats expensive . to mill it isnt that much and make the surface straight again

i use to pay $35 to resurface the vtec heads including taping it for ls-vtec sonvertions. but then again that was me doing all the work except machining:)

CSquared
06-26-2006, 10:31 AM
whoa am i missing something?

I'm talking about parts, labor, machine shop work, and the eventual headgasket install which it doesnt seem like he isnt going to do himself

CSquared
06-26-2006, 10:32 AM
my car only overheated for like 4 minutes, if that, then i got it towed and fixed the radiator immediatley........is there a chance my head is warped

As we have said... yes... there is.

Any time the car overheats there is a chance that shit is going to crack or warp. It doesn't matter how long the car overheated for, just the fact that it happened.

CSquared
06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
it might be its a chance but shouldnt be that much to resurface it . unless they heat the head to make it staright then ya thats expensive . to mill it isnt that much and make the surface straight again

i use to pay $35 to resurface the vtec heads including taping it for ls-vtec sonvertions. but then again that was me doing all the work except machining:)

For my supra i paid about 150 for all of the machine shop work... and that's with the head already dissassembled... which once again... it doesnt sound like hes capable of.

I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 100-200 for the machine shop work unless they tell you that head can get away without being resurfaced.

SLow_POke
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm talking about parts, labor, machine shop work, and the eventual headgasket install which it doesnt seem like he isnt going to do himself

thats what i figured . I'm just use to doing everything myself :)