PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Motor Speedway Drag Racing

Vteckidd
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Street Drags Coming to Atlanta Motor Speedway

HAMPTON, Ga. (June 23, 2006) – Solidifying its place among the premiere motorsports facilities in the world, Atlanta Motor Speedway is adding another facet of racing excitement to its racing schedule.

Starting July 21, 2006, AMS will host a “Friday Night Drags” series for automotive enthusiasts to enjoy a full slate of racing related activities. Racing will be heads up, street style drag racing.

Drag racing will be held on pit road at Atlanta Motor Speedway on a one-eighth-mile track open to any automobile and any driver, provided they possess a valid driver’s license.

“There will be no light tree, no electronic timing, just heads up drag racing to the finish line,” said Brandon Hutchison, vice president of events at AMS.

Race vehicles will be divided into three classes; import, domestic and Pro, a vehicle trailered into the speedway. The domestic cars will square-off against each other and the imports will do the same. At the end of the evening, the domestic winner will face the import winner for the title of best in show.

In addition to the pavement pounding drag action, a “show and shine” car show will take place, held in the infield of AMS. “Show and shine” participants will be divided into three classes; 1985-current domestic and import, classic including 1984 and prior domestic and import and the Race Only division comprised of race vehicles, both import and domestic. Trophies will be awarded to the winners’ of each division.

“We are pleased to offer this exciting new series of events at AMS,” Hutchison said. “It will get racing off the streets and into a controlled environment, making it safer for both racers and motorists on our highways.”

Street drag racers must have a valid driver’s license and drag race competitors age 16 and 17 must have a fully executed ‘minors release form’ on file at the speedway prior to competition (forms available at the speedway or at www.atlantamotorspeedway.com). All drag competitors must wear a helmet and have operational seat belts in the vehicle.

The 2006 “Friday Night Drags” will run July 21, 28, August 4, 25 and September 8. Gates open at 7 p.m. and practice drag runs begin at 8 p.m. “Show and shine” car show judging begins at 8:30 p.m. with the Championship drag runs start at 9:30 p.m.

Both drag and “show and shine” competitors will be charged a $20 entry fee while spectators can enter for only $7. In addition to the drag racing and “show and shine” car show, a DJ will be present and concessions available. Speedway rides in your car and victory lane photos will also be available.

For more information about “Friday Night Drags,” contact the Atlanta Motor Speedway ticket office at (770) 946-4211 or visit www.atlantamotorspeedway.com

this sounds fucking BADASS

benwaballs
06-24-2006, 04:57 PM
nice

imbosile
06-24-2006, 04:59 PM
definately a good idea, i would like to come watch for sure.

ct9a gsr
06-24-2006, 05:17 PM
1/8th mi for the lose... us bigger turbo folks appreciate the last half of the track more than the first half...

Are they giving out cash prizes 'n such for the winners of the respective classes and the final import vs domestic? Also, how are they planning to start each race... with a pair of hot JDM girls flagging? ^.^

This has grabbed my interest somewhat... heh.

TIGERJC
06-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Im going

Vteckidd
06-24-2006, 05:49 PM
yeah 1/8 mile sucks, but its a step.

Spin2nd
06-24-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah 1/8 mile sucks, but its a step.

1/8th mile just means you'll actually need the driver mod not the checkbook. I think its a great idea (don't get me wrong 1/4 would be cool but most skreet races are long over by then anyways)

wantboost
06-24-2006, 06:51 PM
this sounds good

rolling_trip
06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
finally, sounds fun

Vteckidd
06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
1/8th mile just means you'll actually need the driver mod not the checkbook. I think its a great idea (don't get me wrong 1/4 would be cool but most skreet races are long over by then anyways)
well i agree to a point.

but now that im actaully building a fast car, FWD sucks in the 1/8th LOL

The AWD an RWD will own in the 1/8th

slowhawk01
06-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Sounds fun. I will definetly be there.

KevinT707
06-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Sounds cool, except Hondas are slow in the 1/8.

slowhawk01
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Sounds cool, except Hondas are slow in the 1/8.

No hondas are slow for MILES:lmfao:

Fast Shadow
06-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Gonna be a lot of wrecks.. people showing up with no idea of what they're doing losing control and crossing over, etc. Tons of POS cars dropping shit on the track, g-thugstas, etc. Hope I'm wrong.

Spin2nd
06-25-2006, 12:51 AM
The AWD an RWD will own in the 1/8th

Not according to ct9a gsr, he has a high hp awd car but likes highway racing.....weird eh? lol

ct9a gsr
06-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Not according to ct9a gsr, he has a high hp awd car but likes highway racing.....weird eh? lol

Who says I prefer highway racing over racing from a dig? The much higher probability of getting caught racing from a dig on the streets keeps me away from doing so.

Spin2nd
06-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Who says I prefer highway racing over racing from a dig? The much higher probability of getting caught racing from a dig on the streets keeps me away from doing so.

I was just cracking on your earlier comment about needing the 2nd 1/8th mile b/c of your turbo....If I had an AWD car with as much power as you have I'd run the shortest races possible and leave folks wondering what just happened when I rip 2 lengths in the first 60 feet and grab a bunch more before the 1/8th mile is over (of course I'd also figure out how to drive with 26 x 10.5's on all 4 too, hehe :idb: the comment was all in fun... :cool:

On a related note, I personally love 1/8th mile racing cuz its largely "who can do the most with the least." My car isn't fast at all but I used to bust alot faster cars on the skreet in 1/8th mile races b/c I could drive the piss out of it and use every bit of the cars power. I'd beat cars with a bunch more power through the 1/8th but they'd be comming like a freight train near the end -- didn't much matter at that point even if they made more power (or had alot more money in their car)

Dominic49
06-25-2006, 02:10 AM
damnit 1/8th miles.... now I am gonna deffinetly gonna have to invest in a short thow kit... 1st.......... 2nd *chirp*....... 3rd.. oh wait i missed third *revs the shit out of the engine while wondering what is happening* oh yeah 3rd...........

1/8 time 19.2 at 34.6mph

WINDSOR
06-25-2006, 10:09 AM
oh shit,i'm going to have to fix my AWD talon for this. Where are they going to be racing? Is it going to be some prepped surface or just like a normal asphalt road? It sounds fun.

Spin2nd
06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
oh shit,i'm going to have to fix my AWD talon for this. Where are they going to be racing? Is it going to be some prepped surface or just like a normal asphalt road? It sounds fun.

If this whole thing isn't some eleaborate hoax (anyone have ANY sort of confirmation yet?) -- pit lane was mentioned as a racing surface. I find it hard, however, to believe this is for real unless they are going to impose a bunch of safety regulations just like other tracks. I can't imagine AMS accepting the legal responsiblity/liability of most "street race" (read: jankity death trap) setups.........but I hope to god they're willing cuz I'll be down there all the time if so.

Reaper
06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
gotta get a helmet now.......but im goin

boosted_nonv
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
good shit

GTScoob
06-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds fun, I'll try and make it out!

speedminded
06-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Yo, mike....build a b-series tranny that tops out at 90mph...5 gears :tongue:

BABY J
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
damnit 1/8th miles.... now I am gonna deffinetly gonna have to invest in a short thow kit... 1st.......... 2nd *chirp*....... 3rd.. oh wait i missed third *revs the shit out of the engine while wondering what is happening* oh yeah 3rd...........

1/8 time 19.2 at 34.6mph

Sig worthy!!! LOL

Bofus
06-26-2006, 11:59 PM
So how exactly will Domestic and imports be catagorized? I mean its not fair for my car to be considered a domestic. 98% of my car is mitsubishi. plus I only have 4 cylinders. I hope they can understand.

SPOOLIN
06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
No hondas are slow for MILES:lmfao:

yeah, maybe the ones YOU'VE raced.

SPOOLIN
06-27-2006, 03:07 PM
So how exactly will Domestic and imports be catagorized? I mean its not fair for my car to be considered a domestic. 98% of my car is mitsubishi. plus I only have 4 cylinders. I hope they can understand.

I was wondering the same thing. they tend to categorize imports into all 4 cylinders LOL

1439/2000
06-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Do you have a 4g?

This is a good idea. But I think its for really slow people that are embarassed about times and just want to prove they can beat someone else.