PDA

View Full Version : running no exhaust... questions

changaroo
06-23-2006, 09:26 PM
hey guys

since i want to buy a ws2 when i have enough money, i decided to take off my stock muffler today, and left the rest of the piping in tact (cat / resonator).

to my surprise, the car doesnt sound too bad. (or maybe its just the little riceboy in me)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4009667607698433947

but i have a few questions

1) is it legal to drive with no muffler?

2) is this bad for the car? i know ill lose some TQ down low

3) am i going to burn up my valves from less backpressure?

2.2L
06-23-2006, 09:43 PM
the best exhaust is no exhaust man anyways
1. not unless you red line it everytime and passes 95 db or something like that
2. i have no idea why it would be bad
3. again you get a exhaust for less backpressure so how is it bad for the valves...

ive ran no catback for a while before i got my skunk2 in and some of my other friends have ran no catback for a while before getting an exhaust and hasnt caused any problems.

changaroo
06-23-2006, 09:51 PM
ah cool, i was having second thoughts, but imo this sounds much better than the people who actually purchase some cheapo apc / ebay exhaust and weld it onto the stock piping :|

thanks for the input!

Marta Mike
06-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Im running no muffler now and my car is way too loud for me, sounds ricey. Full throttle gets really loud in 2nd gear, and whenever i left off the throttle "snap crackle pop" cant wait to get my exhaust-lol

changaroo
06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
marta, what kind of car?

-edit- nvm i see your sig :P

3kgtdrvr
06-24-2006, 06:08 PM
if u still have hte piping and a cat it should be fine. if ur talkin like open header/headers then u can run into problems bc yes u dont want backpressure...but u also dont want no back pressure bc its a vacume and helps suck the exhaust out.

Dominic49
06-25-2006, 12:23 AM
i'm running no muffler on my 89 325is... sounds like a ferrari at 5.5k to 6.5k...

speedminded
06-26-2006, 12:57 PM
hey guys

since i want to buy a ws2 when i have enough money, i decided to take off my stock muffler today, and left the rest of the piping in tact (cat / resonator).

to my surprise, the car doesnt sound too bad. (or maybe its just the little riceboy in me)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4009667607698433947

but i have a few questions

1) is it legal to drive with no muffler?

2) is this bad for the car? i know ill lose some TQ down low

3) am i going to burn up my valves from less backpressure?

thanks:pModifying any vehicles exhaust system is illegal, but nobody really cares enough...now if it exceeds a certain sound level or you're driving it and being a nuisance than there maybe a sound ordinance issue.

You'll probably lose a little topend power but may gain it at the bottom end, it won't damage anything until you're running out a header on a cold day....the cat and exhaust hold more than enough heat for it not to be a problem.

It probably sounds raspy running out of a stock resonator...with a properly done exhaust you can make a d15 or 16 sound like a tuned 1.8.

Vteckidd
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I ran open header on all my race/street cars with no issues aside from law enforcement

yes its illegal, as its prob too loud an they will pull you over if they want to. But the good thing is they cannot PROVE your over 95DB(legal limit) as they dont carry any sound testing equipment.

Is long as the collector or header comes out under the oil pan, you wont burn any valves. you have to have some distance for the exhaust to exit or it will build up heat. Best thing to do is make sure your at least the same lenght of the stock header.

You CAN lose some power, but ususaly its minimal