PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Evo8 or Evo9?

bdydrpdmazda
06-23-2006, 04:37 AM
Ok Im buying an Evo but I am torn on whether I should get the 8 or the 9. I like the looks of the 8 better but if the 9 has anything special performance wise I would rather go that route. Any input would be outstanding.

bdydrpdmazda
06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
damn no input at all, that sux

{X}Echo419
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
import an Evo 7!!!

teggy 2nr
06-23-2006, 09:33 AM
here's the australian's review of the car.....http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,17425750-27286,00.html

PropaGanda
06-24-2006, 07:55 AM
The 9 has a better turbo and Mivec as well as some other upgrades. If you are price limited then get an 04 or 05 Evo 8 (an MR would be even better). Stay away from the 03's like I have because they have issues. Really your best bet would be to get a Evo 9 MR.

collins
06-24-2006, 07:57 AM
go to japan and import the evo 9 wagon!!!! thing was HAWT! :D or you could just buy the evo9 sedan here....

Five*Star*
06-24-2006, 10:25 AM
EVO 9 MR all the way. Mivec, 6-speed, variable center differential. That model puts the STi down once and for all.

2.3 Evo 8
06-26-2006, 12:54 AM
The only difference between the VIII and the IX is the mivec head, 20% larger housing on the 16G turbo, and the front bumper has a new look. Other than those things the car is the same.

If you plan on modding the shit out of the car, buy an 03 and have at it. If you want a daily driver that can go fast with minimal mods buy the IX. Electric blue is the shit!!! Don't get the MR 6 speed if you like going to the drag strip. 5 speed is where its at so you won't have to shift into 5th gear.

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 01:21 AM
I like the look of the 8 better but the 9 is still the hottness, I didnt even realize that the 8s only had a five speed. I learn something new everyday.

AtLRSX-S
06-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Get an 8

2.0civic
06-26-2006, 02:33 AM
I like the look of the 8 better but the 9 is still the hottness, I didnt even realize that the 8s only had a five speed. I learn something new everyday.

Get a MR...they are 6 speed

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 02:49 AM
I drive a specV now and I love the six speed, Ill definately want that again. So it looks like the 9 is the only way to go, seems like an all around better car, and what exactly is MIVEC? I dont wanna sound like a dumb ass but I have no knowledge when it come to mitsus, I have been trying to research on the evo forums but any info I can get in this thread will help me better understand the things I read on the other forum.

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 02:53 AM
Get an 8

WHY???????

2.0civic
06-26-2006, 03:06 AM
MIVEC:mitsu::VTEC:Honda::VVTi:Toyota....i personally like the 8 body styling better but shit man, its your car. i would go with MR 8 and get the better body and the 6 speed

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 03:10 AM
so an mr8 and an mr9 are the same performance wise? I know I shound like a real dummy right now but I gotta learn sometime, otherwise ill be driving a car that I know nothing about.

2.0civic
06-26-2006, 03:12 AM
no i dont think 8 has MIVEC(could be wrong though) and 9 has a little power upgrade(nothing that couldnt be fixed be a few mods on the 8)

-Blown-
06-26-2006, 03:15 AM
MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing-and-lift Electronic Control) On the Evo it only controls valve timing (not lift)
Both the Evo 8 MR and the Evo 9 MR have six speeds

Here is a good list of most/all the differences.

IX has....
MIVEC
Better turbo(10.5 hotside vs 9.8)
Better, more addaptive ECU
Bigger fuel pump then VIII
revised coolent passages in the head which allow more aggresive tuning

blackout headlights and tail lights
revised enkies on the RS & GSR - 5oz lighter then VIII enkies
Hollow carbon fiber wing (VIII is solid)

Seats are now suede and alactra- black & gray (VIIIs are black & blue)
carbon fiber look dash piece
Steering wheel painted black (VIII was silver)

A IX normally dynos 10-20 HP&TQ more then an VIII. The MIVEC and new turbo on the IX make daily driving better due to power being available at a lower RPM.
The main reason a IX is better then an VIII is its outstanding output after mods.
A IX with just a turbo back exhaust and a flash will produce power similar to a VIII with turboback exhaust, cams and flash (and the VIII usually needs a Fuel pump too).

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 03:20 AM
^^^wow, thats exactly what I was looking for, +1 for you.

AtLRSX-S
06-26-2006, 03:31 AM
heard that the mivec was pretty hard to tune or something like that....

iono you choice =)

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Ive heard the complete oposite about the MIVEC, Ive read nothing but good things about it.

PropaGanda
06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Trust me when I say you want the 6-speed if you have a choice. The 5 speed is a pain in the ass for every day driving because of the gearing. Basically, on a road trip, if you want to keep the car at about 80 or so then you have to keep changing between on and off boost and that eats gas. It is hard to explain unless you drive one yourself and see. Plus, the 6 speed is better for road course driving, imho. It really all depends on what you are using the car for (what your focus is). As a bonus, the Bilstein shocks in the MR are better than the regular GSR, so choose the MR!

And the best upgrade for the 9 ( not counting the performance aspect) is the seats. The 9 seats would match my color-scheme perfectly. I hate HATE the blue Recaros. What were they thinking with those?
:rant:

bdydrpdmazda
06-26-2006, 09:08 AM
yeah the six speed a pretty must a must have for the evo, unless i get a crazy deal on a 5 speed.

Paree4g63
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Is it possible to add a mivec head to a evo 8? Jus as I would if I had a Acura B18B motor and wanted a Vtec Head on it? Think its worth it?

3.5altman
10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
damn i want a evo, but my im tired of high car payments, and my car is almost paid off.. well 2 more years

upstatescevo
10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Is it possible to add a mivec head to a evo 8? Jus as I would if I had a Acura B18B motor and wanted a Vtec Head on it? Think its worth it?

yeah it is posible but the power gains and price wouldnt be worth it. It would be about 10hp for about 2k. You need more than the head you need a wiring harness for an evo 9 and a some other parts

Paree4g63
02-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Get a MR! The UK Evo is off the chain.. Its supposed to already have 400hp++ factory I believe and its a beast. If I could go back in time instead of getting a Evo8, I'd like the MR just because its superior in handling and MIVEC. Performance wise isn't too far off between the 8's, 9's & the new EvoX. It just takes another mod or two to even out the output of a newer Evo vs a Evo8 or inferior model. Evos are gas killers and your right foot is your boost controller. Easiest way to tell if your spooln/boostn is to get a cone filter/intake; whenever you hear the turbo spool from the engine..That means the turbo just woke up a bit. Always have a boost gauge also, I try to keep my kpa gauge in the negative numbers..But then again, my foots not as light as a feather. :(

P.S. I think Evo's cost more owning and enjoying it then having a bmw m3,335i, m5,m6. I don't see any of those modified at all around here. But they're good enough the way they are; all luxury.

2.0 under pressure
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I had nothing but trouble from my 05 GSR 8 Transfer case leaked 3 days after I bought it lol. It had rust in the body joints, left over mig wire around the trunk brace welding. $15k car with a nice $15k power plant. That's an Evo in a nut shell.

wOZrally
02-01-2008, 04:02 PM
get the 9! i will be as soon as i pay of my car. visit evolutionm.net

Mr.Big
02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Evo 9 tranny has taller gears too. Meaning the 5 speed trans has a longer gear ratio.
But Evo9 MR 6 speed trans is the same as Evo8 MR trans

blackonblack
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
EVo VIII vs 9

get an evo 8... with the 2-3k you would save just do a 2.3 stroker kit call it day, if the 6 speed is a must and if you want it as a good DD get it or ... if your going to track and drag the car, the 5 speed is a must.. the 8 feels more like a beast when your driving... the 9's some what feel less aggressive but in no doubt make more power when modded... but the difference is only about 10-30whp.. stay away from 03-04's they have the 9.8 hotside turbo... unless your going to upgrade turbo later on... the 05-06's have the 10.5 hotside... but once again all depends on what your doing with the car.. track drag or just a dd?

if your going to mod the **** out of the car get a VIII non mivec and if your going to use it more for a stage one or two evo get the mr ix

MR vs Rest...

MR - aluminum roof, vortex generator, 6spd, bilstein suspension, gauges (all other trims are optional gauges), upgraded pedals, MR badging, bbs wheels

RS - aluminum roof, 5spd, standard suspension, no wing, no power windows, no ac, no radio, gauges optional, rubber pedals, no abs, enkei wheels, black door handles, black mirrors, manual mirrors

standard evo - sheet metal roof, gauges optional, 5spd, rubber pedals, no vortex generator, standard suspension, enkei wheels

in the MR you really don't need have the **** your paying for... save the 5-6k and put on aftermarket stuff... the only thing you wouldn't get is a 6speed tranny and a aluminum roof... so what i would do is send the 5 speed tranny to shep racing and get a racing tranny 2-3k and its going to be better then the stock 6 speed tranny because all the syncro problems... the other 2k or so what is left over... get tien suspension vs the stock bilstein suspension...etc... etc...

Gl with which ever one you go with

koffebean00
02-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not giving reasons on what the difference are, just research on EvolutionM.net.

My advice is IX all day long over an VIII. Trust me I've had two IX Evos and I'm about to buy a 3rd IX. What's that tell you???? IX FTW!!!

4eGv6o3
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I would definitely get a IX. I've owned an VIII MR and now own a IX MR, the IX MR is way better. MIVEC FTW!!!!!!

$9ktt
02-15-2009, 07:56 PM
The only difference between the VIII and the IX is the mivec head, 20% larger housing on the 16G turbo, and the front bumper has a new look. Other than those things the car is the same.

If you plan on modding the shit out of the car, buy an 03 and have at it. If you want a daily driver that can go fast with minimal mods buy the IX. Electric blue is the shit!!! Don't get the MR 6 speed if you like going to the drag strip. 5 speed is where its at so you won't have to shift into 5th gear.

Spoken for the truth !!!! I also have a LY03. You don't need the MR's 6spd.
It's a hindrance on the track. Plus you can find 03's for a pretty good price...
put on the ix hotside or even the whole turbo...have it tuned and have a quicker car for a song !!!

B

ps: I wanted an EB V/// but already had the LY so I painted the Sup EB !!!!
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/CivicRacingXperiment/Supra/100_2010.jpg