PDA

View Full Version : CATALYTIC CONVERTERS

HonDai3oii
06-22-2006, 12:56 AM
i got a 01 accord v6....i got the cat-back...but now i want to change my catalytic converter....i heard it will mess up the computer(check engine light)
is it true?

if not----what kind should i get....magnaflow?

b.a.d. s2000
06-22-2006, 09:35 PM
why would u wanna change the catalytic converter? most ppl just replace it with a test pipe. The check engine light will not come on if you use a different kind of cat.

BigPoppaHurtm
06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I believe there is a cheap fix on the cats 02 sensor which can make it not throw the CEL when u attach it to a test pipe. I think it basically moves the sensor further away from the main exhaust flow to keep the cpu thinking everything is ok. Not sure about that but you can definetly use a test pipe and not throw a CEL with something like that. Plus you can get a test pipe made at a muffler shop for cheap whereas a new cat would be in the hundreds of dollars range. Oh and you should put a 100 shot of n20 on there for good measure. I recommend spray to everybody :D

3kgtdrvr
06-22-2006, 11:14 PM
if u get a high flow cat like a real high flow cat and now one of those 3 dollar ones on ebay u should be ok. i think magnaflow makes one that people like. but like bigpoppahutrm said its gonna cost u a lot and u might wanna think about a test pipe(which is pretty much what those ebay ones are lol) and an O2 simulator or something, thats what most people do. just my :2cents: though

an0therh22
06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
i got a magnaflow cat for my h22 not really much difference though but my check engine light isnt on or anything and it only costed 97 bucks from nopi that might help u make the decision

SLow_POke
06-24-2006, 09:20 AM
you will most defenately get a MIL if you hook up the O2.

the purpose of the second O2 is to check the condition of the CAT, if its doing its job. i had buddies just living it having with never getting a MIL . and why do you want a test pipe.?? just get a high flow cat, if its any deference

HonDai3oii
06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
thanks for the tips...

3kgtdrvr
06-24-2006, 05:20 PM

the purpose of the second O2 is to check the condition of the CAT, if its doing its job. i had buddies just living it having with never getting a MIL . and why do you want a test pipe.?? just get a high flow cat, if its any deference

...why a test pipe? bc its cheap lol

Nittanys1
08-13-2006, 05:30 PM
check out random technologies

§treet_§peed
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
shit just get a set of 30 dallar headers and a 5 dollar high flow cat of e-bay like i did...never had a prob with them since i bought em...:D just saying

EmminoDaGreat
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
i made a test pipe for mine the other night... no check engine light here :)

rollin_s2k
08-14-2006, 12:31 PM

go with the test pipe and get a mil eliminator to get rid of the CEL. Pony Express makes a splice in mil eliminator for like $15. if you have a honda get the mazdaspeed protege one(it has the same wire diagram)

KevinT707
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Save the environment, run a catalytic-converter like me :).

Seriously.

cidgrad130
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
High-flow cat/test pipe may add 1-2 peak hp...certainly not worth the gain for the potential damage you do on the air quality (nor the hassle of the computer issues for OBD2).

Read the latest HondaTuning (may be ImportTuner) mag...they address this very issue in a tech article.

Cheers!

§treet_§peed
08-22-2006, 07:23 PM
i had mine for well over a year..no problem here.....