PDA

View Full Version : Bump Stops

SwiftGTiRacer
05-10-2005, 06:34 AM
i was on the Swift forum and we were talkin about traction problems. One guy running an 11 sec. 1/4 said something about bump stops on the rear struts. I was curious to hear if anyone else uses these or not.

Swifty

rotorho
05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
why would you run on bump stops put some springs in

SwiftGTiRacer
05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Said something about wieght transfer and stiffen up the rear end. they use springs also then put in bump stops. On a rear wheel drive car you try to get the car to stand up on the tyres, which means you don't want it to squat in the rear when it takes off. You want the car to lift or stay level in the rear and load up the tires. So on a fwd you want to do the same, to try and load up the the front tyres, on the guys car that told me about it he does this by using two sets of bump stops in the rear to stop the rear from droping, on his front shocks he can restriced the rebound on the front. So when he takes off the load goes to the rear hits the bump stops and the load goes to the front, his front will dip and the shocks help keep the front down.

Swifty

rotorho
05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
i see now. usually when i hear a car is running bump stops i think of a car with no springs thats how we roll down under

SwiftGTiRacer
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Is anyone else running something like this to help with traction?

Swifty

YokotaS13
05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
might not help. but jeep guys use it so they dont pop springs put of the perches limites travel.

It woudl have some kind of effect kinda like a "wheelie" bar on mose FWD import drag cars. Its designed to keep rearward suspension travel to a minimum. So with bumpstops, while limiting the travel of the suspension on the road, possibly creating a harsh drive, and until you get used to it, possibly strage suspension reactions.

but nayways to your question, a FEW AWD guys on tuners use them, and it helps out. dropped their 60' a lil bit. So it works. But its up to you if you would liek to try it. Cheap way to try somethig out, so its not a big loss. But dont forget mount insert as well they help with wheel hop.

mp5o
05-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Sounds like an intresting idea... Sounds like it might work... Try it and tell us!

SwiftGTiRacer
05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
I won't be able to try it until mid October but i'll let you guys know the differences.

Swifty

YokotaS13
05-23-2005, 12:36 PM
sounds good man. let us know