PDA

View Full Version : Minor in Possession in alcohol

toyoracr86
05-09-2005, 08:34 PM
i didnt know where to post this but oh well. i was wondering wat is the the penalty for first offense in georgia. i am 19. it happened in march. i go to court on june 2. i dont know if i should get a lawyer. i dont have money and my parents wont pay for shit. wat is the law on this. well thanks for any remarks.

RandomGuy
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
first offense? U can do a no low if im not mistaken
get a lawyer reguardless or someone knowledgable bout law... gotta chat on your situation specifics.

PinkTaco
05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
i wouldnt get a lawyer...waste of money imo and either way your gona get the same punishment pretty much, im 18 and got a dui in march and next month i lose my lisence for 6 months, with or without a lawyer that would have been my punishment my judge said

AJYteg
05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
6 months probation, 40 hours community service, some kinda fine...lawyer is not needed to appear with you, you might want to consulte one just for a little advice. Should be no problem though, don't think no low will work but 1st offender is a possibility.

gtikid
05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
i wouldnt get a lawyer...waste of money imo and either way your gona get the same punishment pretty much, im 18 and got a dui in march and next month i lose my lisence for 6 months, with or without a lawyer that would have been my punishment my judge said

you got a dui and your losing your license for only 6 months? i thought you would lost your license until your 21? o well, dude get a lawyer, i've had plenty of friends get the same ticket you did and got a lawyer to get them off fine, or else yea just the fine, community service, etc...

HiPSI
05-09-2005, 10:53 PM

well then consider yourself lucky... you lived didn't you?

that's a pretty easy punishment for something like that, then again the fuckstick in front of me in court did the same shit and got off easier than i did for just speeding.

Negrodamus
05-10-2005, 12:11 AM

DUI= MANDATORY Revoked license for 12 months if you are under 21 and you wont get a work/school permit....hmmmmm kinda weird considering you are 18. dont be suprised if you dont get your license untill june 06'.

AtifSajid
05-10-2005, 07:34 AM
If you were in posession and not driving, you should just do no low and it shouldnt be that bad of a punishment, but your parents standing behind you acting like they care in front of the judge WILL help you out a lot.

Bishop
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Does anybody know anything about those school/work permits? What do you have to do to get one and how do i get one?

carrascopa
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
You'll Get A Slap On The Wrist! Unless You Like Me I Served 45 Days For Minor Possesion When I Was 17

Ms Dollar
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Ok here's the deal, and here's what you can pretty much expect to happen...

If it is a first offense you can plead Nolo, basically means that you are saying you are guilty but you don't want it to do on your record. If it's a DUI you cannot plead Nolo. You can only plead Nolo once every five years so use it wisely. If you don't think that you are going to get into trouble in the next five years then by all means go for it.

If you got the Minor Possession through consumption(meaning you were drunk in a car or elsewhere underage but you weren't driving) then you will be on probation for at least a year, you will have your license suspended for at least a year without the ability to get a to/from work/school/church permit, 40+ hours community service, and also you will have to take the DUI Risk Reduction classes. You can expect about $600 give or take a couple hundred in fines and you may have to serve a little extra time in jail.

Now this depends on the judge too. Some judges couldn't give two shits about you or your situation and some feel sorry and are good judges pof character and can tell which kids know what they did is wrong, and that they won't do it again.

The mandatory time spent in jail for most offenses of this nature are 48 hours. So this means if you spent less you get to go back until you have served the 48 hours.

If you have any other questions then just pm me I know a lot about this from personal experience and because I am a Criminal Justice/Psychology major.

EDIT:
YOU CANNOT GET A WORK/SCHOOL DRIVING PERMIT FOR ANY DRINKING RELATED ARREST UNDER THE AGE OF 21

ruah_23
05-10-2005, 09:46 PM
OK so u can only plead nolo once every 5 yrs for any kind of offenses except DUI??

Ms Dollar
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
as far as i know...when i got a DUI i wasn't allowed to plead it, and then i had a probation violation and i plead Nolo for that

B16a2 Civic
05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
so the correct legal term is Nolo? ( probnounced no low?)

Ms Dollar
05-12-2005, 09:44 AM
yes...it's Nolo Contender(sp.??)

PinkTaco
05-12-2005, 04:48 PM
well i didnt get it in GA i got it in NY where my parents now live...so thats why its only 6 months

Streetking322
05-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Damn man I feel for ya I'm going through some shit right now too. Here's what I know and I was in court May 10th here's the info. I got. No one under the age of 21 can plead Nolo. No one under the age of 21 can have that special licence which allows you to drive only to work when your licence revoked. This was in Kennesaw court it might be diff. for you depending on you county/city. Either way goodluck man I know it sux balls but you'll get through it. By the way when I went to court they reset my court date for a month later and told me not ot show back up w/o a lawyer. So a lawyer for anyone under 21 is a damn good idea...