PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on first bike

xxrealmsxx
06-17-2006, 12:18 AM
I am shopping for a motorcycle so I can get one by the end of september and was looking for some advice.

I am looking to either get a:

Suzuki sv650s

(I hear as a vtwin its a great starter bike because there is less shifting involved and a rider can focus more on handling the bike, also I hear a lot of experienced riders return to it and find it entertaining. I figured I could use it as a first bike and keep it around after I upgrade.)

vs

Honda 600 F4i

(I hear they may be too powerful as a first bike, but i was drawn to them as soon as I saw one on the showroom floor).

I was just wondering how experienced riders felt about these two as starter bikes. I would love to just get an old ninja or something along those lines but I am having trouble finding one, also a lot of riders I know believe that I would outgrow one in a matter of a month or so and I do not want to go through the hassle of reselling the bike in a relativley quick amount of time.

2.0civic
06-17-2006, 12:27 AM
get a r6 or the 600rr. i rode both recently and they are both incredible and you wont outgrow it anytime soon unless your like 380 lbs.

HiPSI
06-17-2006, 10:17 AM
of both the bikes posted it's going to fall more to preference than anything. both are stone reliable, both make great street going bikes. if i were in the same boat i'd go with the SV650. that little twin makes good power and across a wide range so it's very USABLE power on the street or track, and it's a comfortable bike to ride even on longer trips.

xxrealmsxx
06-17-2006, 11:57 AM
get a r6 or the 600rr. i rode both recently and they are both incredible and you wont outgrow it anytime soon unless your like 380 lbs.

I think both of those are too much bike for my first, thanks though. I'm pretty dead set on choosing between the two listed above.

of both the bikes posted it's going to fall more to preference than anything. both are stone reliable, both make great street going bikes. if i were in the same boat i'd go with the SV650. that little twin makes good power and across a wide range so it's very USABLE power on the street or track, and it's a comfortable bike to ride even on longer trips.

Yeah thats what i've heard, everyone says the f4i isn't really fun until 8,000 rpms.

We'll see though got two months to go shopping.

LordMDP
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
SV's are super great bikes

very Agile make good power(not screaming top end Hp like 600's) but you'd be able to keep up with the best of them in the MTN's or on the track

heres my 02(carbed model-at jennings-with street tires and stock susp.)

now i'm running slicks and have penske shock and race tech front end-makes the bike handle even better
http://myspace-587.vo.llnwd.net/00840/78/54/840764587_l.jpg

on the other hand F4I's are good bikes-nothing special about them really-make good usable power-pretty comfortable-bulletproof ebgine-no character though

brads94accord
06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
i will trade you a bike for the maxima!

Tarzanman
06-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Don't get a 600 as your first bike. Get a used 500cc or lower until you know what you are doing

xxrealmsxx
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
i will trade you a bike for the maxima!

Sweet

I'll take nothing less than this:

chuck
06-29-2006, 11:47 AM
i'd go with a naked SV with frame sliders...you can throw on a full system, open up the airbox and remap it as you grow into it...great first bike.

...and as erin said, the SV has a little more upright seating to it, much more comfortable, especially when you're just getting used to everything

Tarzanman
06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
you're going to drop your bike, and I am going to laugh when all that new 600cc fairings go 'crunch'

LordMDP
06-29-2006, 11:16 PM
you're going to drop your bike, and I am going to laugh when all that new 600cc fairings go 'crunch'
+1

even seasoned veterans drop there bikes or expert roadracers-seen people drop-em in the pits

buy something cheap at first then move your way up

bigb996
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
im getting my first bike within the year myself, i have only riden a gsxr 600 and loved it but i dont have the money for one. I am looking into a suzuki gs500f myself. They are sportier than the sv's imo.

LordMDP
06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
im getting my first bike within the year myself, i have only riden a gsxr 600 and loved it but i dont have the money for one. I am looking into a suzuki gs500f myself. They are sportier than the sv's imo.
the GS's are great bikes too but i wouldn't say they are sportier then a SV other then the "f" model has a full fairing

remember its still a 20y/o air/oil cooled parallel twin compared to a fuel injected(2003+) liquid cooled "L" twin that makes over 20HP more thne the GS just FYI

Twinturbo6
06-30-2006, 09:43 AM
sv650....

HiPSI
06-30-2006, 11:40 AM

SV>GS. they might "look" sportier, but they don't handle or have power to back that up ;).

StupidBikerBoy
06-30-2006, 12:48 PM
SV's are super great bikes

very Agile make good power(not screaming top end Hp like 600's) but you'd be able to keep up with the best of them in the MTN's or on the track

heres my 02(carbed model-at jennings-with street tires and stock susp.)

now i'm running slicks and have penske shock and race tech front end-makes the bike handle even better
http://myspace-587.vo.llnwd.net/00840/78/54/840764587_l.jpg

on the other hand F4I's are good bikes-nothing special about them really-make good usable power-pretty comfortable-bulletproof ebgine-no character though

Listen to what this man has to say, he knows his stuff! (LordM, its stupidbikerboy from GSB)

I'd deffinately take the SV. Its one of the most well rounded bikes ever built. Great for newbies and experienced riders also.

Hell, I'd buy one myself if I had room.:goodjob:

chuck
06-30-2006, 01:39 PM
...on top of that i'm not sure if i could recall ever seeing a GS500 at the track...the SV's are a dime a dozen, there's probably a good reason or two or 34789023 behind that.

HiPSI
06-30-2006, 02:02 PM
...on top of that i'm not sure if i could recall ever seeing a GS500 at the track...the SV's are a dime a dozen, there's probably a good reason or two or 34789023 behind that.

there are lots of GS trackday bikes out there.

chuck
06-30-2006, 04:57 PM
there are lots of GS trackday bikes out there.

ok, then scratch what i said...i was trying to picture one but could only come up with a couple older ones...but regardless, SV FTW, haha

k, i'm dumb...exhum, done.

bigb996
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
can you get an sv for less than 4 grand though used? i wasnt bashing the sv, to me the GS just looks more aggressive with the full faring as stated. Have not riden one however. I honestly want a 600 but they cost to much.

LordMDP
06-30-2006, 07:28 PM
can you get an sv for less than 4 grand though used? i wasnt bashing the sv, to me the GS just looks more aggressive with the full faring as stated. Have not riden one however. I honestly want a 600 but they cost to much.
ride a GS and that will make up your mind

you wont be very impressed but on the other hand-yes people do use GS500's as trackdays and many people Race them in WERA in the clubman classes because they are not limited to superstock rules so you can see some crazy high HP GS500's

and Yes you can get a Nice Used SV for less then $4000

do you want a STd or "S" model also which generation-the older one is carbed and has the rounder style tubed frame(like mine) where the newer ones have FI and different cam profiles creating about 5 more Hp then the 1st gen

David88vert
06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Get the SV if you can afford it. It has double the horsepower of the GS. I am extremely familiar with the GS - rode one for 2 years.

bigb996
07-01-2006, 09:18 AM
im just lookin for someone to cruise more than anything. Not gonna do any tracking. go to do a 600 for that. Bunch of friends that dont have r6s, gsxrs, or cbrs all have svs for the most part.

fastasscrx
07-01-2006, 05:54 PM
HELL........ Buy my V-Twin.................

Tarzanman
07-01-2006, 09:11 PM
SV>GS. they might "look" sportier, but they don't handle or have power to back that up ;).

You're on drugs! A GS handles WAAAY better than an SV... its all about the flickability, son. All you have to do is turn your head and you'll immediately find yourself leaning on the edge of that 130/140 tire.

The rake of the GS is also much much much more new-rider-friendly. Put one new rider on a GS and another new rider on an SV and 3 months out, the GS-newbie rider will kick the SV-newbie's butt in twisties.

David88vert
07-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I have to disagree. I've ridden both, and have pulled more than 100% out of my GS many times, and it is no comparision to the SV in handling. It is easier to start out on for a newbie, but the SV is definately superior. I had to ride the sh1t out of my GS to keep up with average riders on average sportbikes.

StupidBikerBoy
07-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I to have riden both, and completely disagree.

The SV is far superior to the GS in all categories.

HiPSI
07-01-2006, 11:46 PM
I to have riden both, and completely disagree.

The SV is far superior to the GS in all categories.

well since everyone is agreeing to disagree... i agree.

SV>GS in all categories. GS is an old model that just wouldn't die where the SV is far better on the technology tip. i'm not saying don't jump on a GS as they are far cheaper and still a great beginner bike, but the SV is still the superior machine.

ps... i ride a 500cc single cylinder bike and love every minute after selling off my 954. the only way to truly make the decision is to ride both and see what you like/what fits YOUR criteria for a bike.

nofive-0
07-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I sometimes still wish that I had an SV. Light, flickable, v-twin song, comfortable..... I could go on and on. I would love to have one. Anyone wanna buy an r6. I'll tell you what dude you can buy my r6 and I will go get an sv. Definitely non s for me.

Jaimecbr900
07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the good ole Ninja 500R/EX500? It was always better than the GS500 and has a ton of accesories to make it look any way you want. The motor is bulletproof. The riding position is very upright (good for beginners). It is very lightweight and easy to ride. Tires are cheap, although harder to find now.

I had one I bought brand new off the showroom floor back in 89. It still looks as good today and more importantly runs as good today as it did then. I know this because I gave it to my dad when I bought my 900rr. The bike has been virtually unchanged in almost 20 yrs, which is a double edge sword. It can be had used pretty cheap.

Just my :2cents:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-kaw-n500-3.jpg