PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Want To See At Car Events???

4dmin
05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE AT CAR EVENTS???

i know w/ the poor turnout at Formula D this weekend definately got everyone alittle questioning the scene... what does it take to get you kids out to events??? what do show/race promoters have to do to get butts in seats, participants, etc...??? what do you think the scene needs less/more of??? what would get you out to more events???

IndianStig
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I think the reason for the bad turnout was the sun. One of my asian friends went and now hes turned from yellow tor red

uproot
05-09-2005, 02:55 PM
lower the damn prices for entrance!

and more new stuff.... seems like every show is the same damn thing

The Yousef
05-09-2005, 03:00 PM
:boobies: <------lots and lots of boobies

no seriously though:

well having the event on a friday kinda killed it right there....trying to fight atlanta traffic on a friday....good fucking luck....

saturday was seemed to be same amount of people from last year...

-having a better car show
-more activities
-after you walk the pits once or twice it's pretty much done for...that was the only thing to do during the lull moments b/w the drifting....

all i can think of right now....

yousef

JC
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Paul I think the big reason for the turnouts is the shift of time and money. Shows have gotten very expensive to attend and to show. Also, I think times have def. changed. Show cars used to be the big craze, now it seems that drifting and performance are the big craze. In regards to the Road Atlanta show though, I dunno, maybe because it was a pretty far drive. Overall though, I think it all comes down to $$$$. For Example, Formula D was $45, then the Dub show is $50 to registar, then the following weekend is $55 for HIN. Thats $150 in one month for shows. It is getting way to pricey for people now. On a positive side note to that, it keeps alot of the non-serious people from registaring because it is expensive.

4dmin
05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
lower the damn prices for entrance!

and more new stuff.... seems like every show is the same damn thing need better examples and more detail...

not talking just Drift Atlanta, but HIN, NOPI, TUNERFEST, IMPORTSHOWDOWN, IMPORT FACEOFF, etc.... what does it take to get a successful show here in Atlanta, what do we need to do as promoters to get you guys out supporting the scene....

personally if if doesn't pick up you won't see these events much larger... i know HIN Atlanta is one of their smallest events... granted you may not be into show cars, but supporting the scene is what it takes to make it a good scene overall.

The Yousef
05-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Paul I think the big reason for the turnouts is the shift of time and money. Shows have gotten very expensive to attend and to show. Also, I think times have def. changed. Show cars used to be the big craze, now it seems that drifting and performance are the big craze. In regards to the Road Atlanta show though, I dunno, maybe because it was a pretty far drive. Overall though, I think it all comes down to $$$$. For Example, Formula D was $45, then the Dub show is $50 to registar, then the following weekend is $55 for HIN. Thats $150 in one month for shows. It is getting way to pricey for people now. On a positive side note to that, it keeps alot of the non-serious people from registaring because it is expensive.

^ditto^:goodjob:

4dmin
05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Paul I think the big reason for the turnouts is the shift of time and money. Shows have gotten very expensive to attend and to show. Also, I think times have def. changed. Show cars used to be the big craze, now it seems that drifting and performance are the big craze. In regards to the Road Atlanta show though, I dunno, maybe because it was a pretty far drive. Overall though, I think it all comes down to $$$$. For Example, Formula D was $45, then the Dub show is $50 to registar, then the following weekend is $55 for HIN. Thats $150 in one month for shows. It is getting way to pricey for people now. On a side note to that, it keeps alot of the non-serious people from registaring because it is expensive.
i agree w/ the exspense involved w/ showing, but isn't that what is about? i remember a time where i did 3 shows in a weekend... i was a complete show whore.

now as far as drifting/performance, shows are starting to incorporate all aspects, like this past event or tunerfest, nopi drags, etc... so the events are here.

blacknightteg
05-09-2005, 03:13 PM
id be out there supporting the hell out of the scene if i had the time money and availability to be able to do that all the time

JC
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
There are very few people that feel that way though Paul. I was amazed at the poor turnout of HIN Charlotte. I was shocked!! However, people are out in the parking lot trying to show there car off OUTSIDE of HIN. I just think people can't justify spending $50+ on a show. I do it, but not everybody feels that way. Unfortunatly, I have a feeling that it is a downward spiral. Companies will raise the price to compensate for the loss of participants and it will keep getting fewer and fewer.

Another aspect is back to back weekends. Alot of people in the show scene are students and dont have 9am-5pm jobs. Therefore, alot of the people in the scene work weekends. It is very hard to take off work for back to back weekend shows.

Just maybe some possibilities of the turnout being smaller. Shows should give out gas cards as awards. LOL.

Julio
05-09-2005, 03:30 PM
when national shows stop coming to GA... then everyone will be complaining , just like it was 6/7 years ago...

People always complained all we got in GA is the NOPI NATS and look now..

IndianStig
05-09-2005, 03:33 PM
^^Agreed, the prices are to high, if they wanna lower the prices I say make them all out door shows. During the evening and night.

4dmin
05-09-2005, 03:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when national shows stop coming to GA... then everyone will be complaining , just like it was 6/7 years ago...

People always complained all we got in GA is the NOPI NATS and look now..

very tru... i think clubs need to work on more prereg and target the shows early that your going to hit... this helps promoter cut down cost as well as you. i remember back when i was showing i knew weeks ahead of time where/when/how much... i see alot of people trying to do this last minute stitch... that normally ends up costing you more money... pace yourself through the season. and there are tons of meets/events that are free to get in... shit we meet every thursday/saturday nights... support the scene, make club outins to such events.

bigb996
05-09-2005, 03:51 PM
money is a big thing, the cars are mostly always the same ol ones that are at every single show. Alot of people dont participate in a lot of shows because of the way they are judged. From my experience i think all shows should go by manufacturer rather than import or domestic. Another thing is for example honda has so many to narrow it down more to best civic etc...Free giveaways and stuff are always good, but overall thigns just arnt changing enough to keep all the interest. You can see all the cars in a show on or better on a friday or saturday night driving down pleasant hill thats why show attendances have taken a drop.

Brett
05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I think shows are lacking in a few key areas these days. Shows have become kind of boring lately, meaning we go to a show, shell out a minimum of $25 and sit down, and that’s all we do all day. They don’t have events going on at the shows to keep both the people showing and the spectator’s interest up. Granted certain shows, Like the IA show, HIN, etc have plenty of side things going on through the day to keep interest going, but many shows do not do this. Another thing also is I think night events seem to get more people who come to show and to spectate. for a few reasons…. One is cooler of course and also its different, you get to see stuff on the cars you don’t get to see in day shows, usually more eye catching visual stuff is on display with the cars, etc.

As far as prices, I am not sure how much that affects the shows these days, I mean when SLAP was heavy in Atlanta the shows there were $25. That didn’t stop me from doing 2 shows a weekend, when it comes to shows like HIN, DUB, etc I don’t see a issue with paying $45-$55 to enter. You are not putting your car into just a “local” show, you are putting your car in with some of the most elite cars in Atlanta and across the country, you have many spectators and manufactuers there, so to me, the exposure you get in that and from the magazines there are priceless I think.

People who know me know I was a MAJOR show whore up till this year, I was at shows every weekend hitting sometimes 2 a week, I have no problem dropping the money to show, I have a blast showing my car, It is nice to watch people look at what you have invested time and money in, and talk to people about your car and what they have and what they plan to do to theirs, etc. I would be a shopw whore this year but so far there isnt many shows to hit yet, but I know its still early in the season to.

The show season this year is off to a VERY slow start. I have shown at 1 show so far, by now any other year I would have hit at least 5-6 by now, But WE MAKE THE SHOW SCENE what it is. If you people feel its dying, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! Start coming to the local shows, large or small, it doesn’t matter. We are what keep shows coming; we are what keep shows popping up from weekend to weekend. We have allowed the show scene to slow down, last year was the worst I have seen yet, I hit MAYBE 10 shows last year, when the year before that I hit about 30+ shows.

I think if more people are aware of the events (Believe it or not, not everyone knows of IA…lol) I think we could spark more interest again. So many people 2-3 years ago who were so heavy into shows have dropped the show scene and gone more into speed, drifting, or just moved on all together. That has hurt the way shows are for sure, Granted every year new people come into it, But a lot of people do not have the dedication or passion like we saw at its peak a few years ago. The lack of clubs taking a hardcore stance on showing to has hurt, when the clubs a few years ago were huge, there was fun rivalries, etc that kept the passion in it for clubs, but alot of clubs are as passionate as they once were and some of vanished, and that also hurts turnout.

Another thing is the new trends like drifting have taken people from shows and put them into a new passion, so that hurts it as well.

Basically I think it more comes to things to do at shows, and getting the word out about the shows is more of a issue then what it costs to enter a show.

speedracer41
05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
I agree about the boobies...j/k

Everyone has made a valid point, on my end it is more time and money than anything else.

HiPSI
05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
i just want to see interactive activities... more of the driving stuff, maybe video game competitions, sports stuff, etc... if you're trying to get lots of people you have to appeal to many groups at one time.

Sirius R
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Cost is always a factor.

For spectators paying $25-55.00 to see the same damn cars week after week doesn't make sense. I think most promoters think that if they charge more for entry and registration, they have a far less chance of losing money with a bad turn out.

May be try to decrease entry fees and promote a better show....really WOW some people into showing up. Maybe $5.00 advance ticket sales, 15.00 at the gate. Give someone a reason to schedule their time to be there.

Think outside the box when considering car show classes. Maybe a "special invitations" or "Best or the Best" class. Keep top performing cars built on an almost unlimited budget competing together. Give some of the beginners some chance of winning top awards. Invite these "Best of" cars with a reduced or waived entrance fee. Even though the car was built with no expense spared...Keeping these cars looking the way the do and transporting them to each event is a HUGE expense. Invite them and offer them an opportunity to win a great prize. Cash is king...but maybe an all inclusive vacation "donated" by a travel agency in return of show sponsorship would draw some attention.

Get rid of "Top 100". It sucks. Especially when only 86 cars entered. Spending your money to receive the same recognition as a stock civic with a nice APC logo doesn't make you feel good. It makes you not want to show your car.

"Peoples Choice" usually goes along way, especially when you can regulate voting to one per person. A lot pf people could care less about what a judge thinks...he or she is more into what the crowd thinks.

Use two-hand touch judging. Allowing one judge per car never made sense.

Invite a lot of vendors. Contact them early as most of their budget is spent by January 30 of each year. Offer them reduced entry fees in return for product and service giveaways. It's far harder to get them to spend $1,000 to attend your event, they'd much rather give you $250 in cash and $1,000 in giveaways.

Have points program tied in with other local shows. Use large events as a "finals" or double or triple point shows.

Boobies. They work when you can look at the girls without needing beer goggles. Some of the girls chosen to compete, although they have far more guts to get up on stage then most of the people watching me included, aren't always the type of girls that draw huge crowds. These shows are planned way in advance....plenty of time to "research" perfect talent.

There's TON's of cool shit to think about...keep it different from every other show....DJ contest...Freestyle competition (QD would probably compete), burnout, "Ricer" car smash. Charge $2.00 per whack at an outrageously riced out import.

Use your imagination....make it fun.

Brandon C
05-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow...I actually will be goin to my first show at Tunerfest on JUne 18th so I can not comment on this subgect BUt as Far as Turnouts Paul..I know that As a Club Promoter and DJ I have seen a Huige DRop InNubers of people who care..Basically thats It. Most People want to socialize in Parking Lots because It's free and all..We have the same problem W/ Clubs..Maybe Giving a REal ARTist or Musician a Live show at a Event could help you all out..JUst a Thought..

TKellarB
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
What type of vendors and activites would you want to see at the shows to make it more exciting/fun?

The Yousef
05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
What type of vendors and activites would you want to see at the shows to make it more exciting/fun?

activities wise:

-an auto-x course or something.....(easy to setup)
-test drives (like BF Goodrich does at NOPI)

yousef

TKellarB
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
hmmm - what about "smaller" activities?

I am targeting brands for grassroot marketing campaigns. This thread hopefully can give me some ideas.

05spectra
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
to me the show scene has died down just a little bit b/c...... ( this is what i think )

me for one liked to go to small shows , charities , h/s shows....etc , as well as major shows. i have found that places north of atlanta are more strict on local shows then in the past 5yrs. that kills it alot b/c not every group wanting to throw a nice little show has a 1mill. dollar insurance policie to put down.

also , there is alot of more go than show nowadays , which is cool. why not include that into the show scene a little more? instead the motor heads get a bad rap on tv (news ) . we need to incorporate that more than havin drag races and shit . maybe have their own class or something?

i dont know about yall , but seeing something swapped , turboed or supercharged gets me going just like a clean paint job or headlight conversion.

to sum it up i think there is a split in the scene and we need to get it back together again.

my 2 cents................

HiPSI
05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
activities wise:
-an auto-x course or something.....(easy to setup)

biggest problem there is space... you need a huge huge venue to have a carshow/auto-x type of event. that and most venues don't want the tire marks and liability involved in that type of event.

HiPSI
05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
instead the motor heads get a bad rap on tv (news ) .

only the idiot streetracers/wannabe drifters

Jaimecbr900
05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
I totally agree with Justunez. It's about being different. It's about interactive activities with everyone, competitors and spectators.

I really really like the "people's choice" award part. I for one work hard at every show and have had a lot of people tell me they'd love to be able to have a "vote" in the cars that said something to them.

Price has to do with it, but to some of us it really doesn't matter. We're going to go to as many shows as our schedule allows regardless of cost. Promoters need to walk around and instead of passing out flyers for their next show, they need to watch which competitors interact with the spectators and invite those folks back. Reduce their entry fees or even waive them. Those type of competitors are the ones that promote your shows by making people want to come back. Before I got into the scene, I was a faithful spectator. I was always into performance first and looks later. The only reason I started showing was because of competitors that answered my questions and didn't treat me like a noob.

My :2cents: .

Brett
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
to sum it up i think there is a split in the scene and we need to get it back together again.

Sadly that is a issue that will never go away, It still to this day amzes me how alot of the people who choose to do the "GO" route want the respect from people but they have and never will give respect to the "Show" people. You dont see the show side bashing what they do, But they are ALWAYS the ones jumping on the bandwagon to bash show cars, that line will always be there, sad to say.

The Yousef
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
biggest problem there is space... you need a huge huge venue to have a carshow/auto-x type of event. that and most venues don't want the tire marks and liability involved in that type of event.

...valid point :)

4dmin
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
thanx for all the feedback guys keep it coming... i know a few big show promoters i will be forwarding this on to...

Cliff
05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
just catchin up to this thread but i just can't see goin and payin 30 dollars to look at the same local cars week after week...like this past weekend...5 bucks and you can get in and everyone sees your car and you park 50 feet from the track or 35-40 bucks and you get to park 200 yards from the track....spectator fees should not be as much as it cost to enter your car in a show....

JITB
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
- More activities (nobody likes to sit around and look at cars allday...its fun , but its gets boring quick especially when ts hot)

maybe a grudge match or soem shit, or some prizes for times, and RT, etc... Maybe a classed tournament or something.

- Longer Dyno Time (if u all have it again)

The 30$ wasnt too bad, but it was lil much..just to be able to look at some local cars. And run on the track.

Coppertone
05-09-2005, 09:49 PM
One thing that is missing is the PEOPLE! I watch these threads, look at the responses about "the scene is dying" but those SAME people don't show up at the shows. Complain about it being boring, and "local cars"...these are issues based on lack of participants which means all of the people that sit here and say "that show sucks" or whatever. You can't fix weather, and EVERYTHING is more expensive these days...nobody can argue whether you can/want to spend the money.
-You want more "non local cars"? Promote the shows, get off your butt and show up, even if you don't have a show car
-You want more events at shows? Give those companies a reason to spend the time and money to come out to the shows by showing up yourself.
-You want you want you want.....what are you giving to the scene to make these companies come out, these shows to come out???????

bigb996
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Sadly that is a issue that will never go away, It still to this day amzes me how alot of the people who choose to do the "GO" route want the respect from people but they have and never will give respect to the "Show" people. You dont see the show side bashing what they do, But they are ALWAYS the ones jumping on the bandwagon to bash show cars, that line will always be there, sad to say.
this is a valid point alot of GO people can be assholes and i used to be for the show route myself but have converted over. I only buy parts that will benefit my performance now. I still respect a nice show car when i see it and like all imports/domestics despite what it has in it. I just hate the people who are jerks about what they have.

1SICKLEX
05-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Honestly, I wonder if the rise in gas prices and the uncertainity of the price (i.e not stable) has tuners not able to attend meets/shows. It may seem not like much but tuners LOVE to drive and when gas prices go up, it directly effects this market. Now people have to make RATIONAL choices. They can no longer cruise so they feel "to hell with a show when I can put that money in my gas tank".

Tuners are not weathly, many put much of their extra income right into their car. With gas prices up (as well as EVERYTHING, food, utilities etc etc) tuners have less money to spend on shows and less money for gas to go to meets.

High gas prices kill the fun.

Add to the fact most shows are pretty much identical. Some women, some cars, some ads on your car, some trophies.

Finally, I have noticed in my short time in the scene, that it was about DRIVING your SHOW car. Today, with the large companies in the scene which is good, but its bad as they dump all this money in cars they don't really drive. OF COURSE they will win and get the attention. Its not fair to the daily driven car/guy who puts his heart into his car and the scene, only to lose by some rich company who doesn't drive the car.

A car with 10 miles vs a daily drive with 60k miles, guess who will win?

Finally people are fed up with piss poor judging, rude customer service and just a "fuck off" attitude to show goers even though they paid hella money to get in.

HiPSI
05-09-2005, 11:03 PM
yet another thing i've come to see is the decline in local meets. i dunno which came/went first but it just seems that back when we had the big IA meets like at Hybrid or better yet the toys'r'us days things were just friendlier. people would take the time to meet each other and talk, and with that came the "hey you coming to the show at xxxxxxx this weekend?". word spread more easily, and people felt more comfortable around each other. maybe it's all the 'net drama that's kind of made a lot of people shy away from it?

chmura
05-09-2005, 11:11 PM
IMO:

The show we (FI) threw last year at Lanier had a lot of these problems solved.....

We had contests, team games, stereo comp, show, prizes, food, "boobies"..... and it ended up being one of the biggest club shows of the year.... and I still hear to this day from peeps it was a good show... yet I would say less than 20% of IA members even showed up and you all know who you are..... and I whored out the invites on the show everywhere......

Admission was cheap... in comparison..... Tons of classes.....

I noticed there is a lot of talking on here but no action.....

A lot of you are saying give us this or that.... or do this or that.... and I want t know why???? Why should a show come along and offer everything under the sun when the so called scene doesn't even show up..... Why are there clubs when they do not support eachothers shows????

the rivalry helps with the competition..... The big clubs... or more elite clubs should step up and do more local stuff as well..... that will get the smaller ones invloved also....

Prices are on the rise.... but so what..... its not a FREE Hobby or Sport....

I also do not think that sponsored cars or corporate cars are killing it for the average joe.... as long as the show has appropriate classes.... getting beaten all the time gives you motivation to improve.... well me anyways.....

and don't you all think that if every show had 100+ cars that prices would be cheaper..... if clubs pre registered a set amount they would get a discount..... there is too many of you bitching.... thats all.......

I also think the judging thing is blown out of proportion..... yeah it would be awesome if there was 2 judges per car..... but it is at times hard to be able to get the good judges..... and most guys that know their shit prefer not to judge.... so they do not have to face the pricks that have a problem with the outcome....

Somehow combining the show and go is a good idea.....

Well this is just my opinion.....

TRAY_STi
05-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Boobs, Stereo competition, Raffles, Freebies. Oh ya Boobs

05spectra
05-10-2005, 04:28 AM
yet another thing i've come to see is the decline in local meets. i dunno which came/went first but it just seems that back when we ndlierhad the big IA meets like at Hybrid or better yet the toys'r'us days things were just frie. people would take the time to meet each other and talk, and with that came the "hey you coming to the show at xxxxxxx this weekend?". word spread more easily, and people felt more comfortable around each other. maybe it's all the 'net drama that's kind of made a lot of people shy away from it?

i agree.

ct9a gsr
05-10-2005, 05:20 AM
I believe something like Import Showdown is a very successful event. The location for the event (although extremely far from civilization) was a perfect place for a car event... a 1/4mi dragstrip. The competition classes were very well divided up into several catagories. This encourged almost anyone with a certain setup on their car to compete for prizes. They also allowed for test & tune runs during the event for anyone at all... of course this encourages anyone who wants to race their car legally to come out. The parking area provided a huge space for people to park and show off their rides and meet ppl. Vendors had tents set up everywhere too... it may have lacked in the "boobies" area, but that's fine... there was a lot of cars and plenty of fast ones.

If you're going to have a drag race event, PLEASE make the classes fair and competitive... having just one class for fastest ET or fastest trap speed is NOT fair for everyone... Import Showdown had the right idea with the classes being divided up.

4dmin
05-10-2005, 07:30 AM
You want you want you want.....what are you giving to the scene to make these companies come out, these shows to come out???????

^ :werd: , this is a very good point.

if you like the scene you are in the only way to make it better is put in the time/effort... you don't have to have a BOS car or 10 sec car to make an impact. just think about this... THIS SITE WAS STARTED BY A CAR CLUB, AND HAS NOW GROWN TO BE A STOMPING GROUND FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE SCENE IN GA/SOUTH... i commend clubs like wTn who are still out trying to buld the scene they are on their 4th show. the scene is about having fun w/ people w/ the same interest and meeting new people.

if you want bigger shows, more interesting shows, you need to show the promoters what the scene has to offer... there are meets every thursday/saturday.... i've seen 10 cars i've seen over 100 there. though it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is that is the local scene; w/o that there is not big events.

4bangin
05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I didn't read past the first page, but I also say money. Not to show, but just to go. It's pretty much the same cars every show you go to. So why should a spectator pay $25+ a show to see cars we sometimes see driving down the road. If nothing else go to one show at the end of the season to see how the cars have changed that year. I mean if you go to a $25 show, bring a gf, that's $50. More than likely you can see all of the cars in an hour or 2 (if that long) then there isnt anything to do but leave. Waste of $50. I used to love shows, but I havnt been to one in a very long time.

Kermit
05-10-2005, 07:44 AM

I both agree and disagree. I rarely go to shows or meets for one main reason; there is no "show" about my car other than being clean. And I can't tell you how much crap I catch from people who are all "show". For example, just 2 days ago I was minding my own business driving up to Publix to get something for dinner, I stopped at a red light in front of 3-Dollar Cafe when 2 twenty-something year old kids in a bling'n Lexus pull up next me and start running their mouths. Crap like, look his car is so fast he has to have race seats...blah blah blah. It's stuff like that from the "show" people that irritate me to no end. Everyone has a style, and a reason to be proud of the car they're driving or showing, mine happens to be all about "go". People, younger ones more specifically, just don't have respect for what other people are doing to their cars. It has ruined it for me, I used to love going to shows, but now I'd rather be at the race track hanging out with people who are not only willing to show you around their car, but also show you how they got there, what they did, and even show you respect for your car and the fact that you're there. I don't think having events, activities, or boobies will help--ok, boobies probably would help, but anyway. Everyone just needs to take a damn chill pill and calm the hell down, their car is not the best looking, not the fastest, or the cleanest, or the most creative, there is always someone who has done something different or something better and people need to get off of their high horse and at least show some respect for people who are in the scene, even if it's a different part of the scene. And that holds true for everyone, including me, regardless of what they're contributing to the scene.

The Ren
05-10-2005, 08:21 AM
I hate to sound like a broken record.. but money is a big factor. As it has been said alot of us are college students, I work full-time and im in school.. I wont be showing a car for a while, but I wanna attend and watch, however I dont want to go watch an event for 45-50 bucks if its the same cars i can see driving down the street or at one of the IA meets.

I am VERY new to the scene here in Atl, and I cant even tell you how good it felt to be so welcomed by the people on IA, even at the meets people were/are very cool about welcoming you, but I dont think anyone even mentioned a few of the things going on in the next couple of weekend about shows, ect.. I had to hear it from one of the clubs. If your showing your car.. tell people at the shows, wouldnt you want the people you know to come out and support you showing your car?

There are how many people here on IA and how many people show up at meets..20-30? I KNOW there are more people on here than that. I have a 90% stock civic and I am still at almost every thursday and Saturday meet, it helps me get ideas and get to know other people in the scene. Come out.. I realize for some people its a drive, but for the people who live around the area, I mean come on...

Just my 2 cents..

Jaimecbr900
05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm with some of the OG's on this.

Everyone "wants" a $5 show, but with $1000 prizes. It just doesn't work that way. Promoting a show, any show, is hard work. I don't care what some people say. It takes planning, logistics, money, time, coordinating, etc. just to get it from story board to reality. If people want cool shows to come here, then they MUST participate when they are here. You don't have to necessarily show all the time, just attend. Show interest. Get together with your crew and make it out to a show once in a while. There are plenty of "non-show" cars that come as a group in order to compete in team entries and the like. That technically is competing. Atleast you're showing your support for the sport you like. You will always have someone pissed because they didn't win. Personally, that motivates certain people like myself.

I understand the whole "I don't have a lot of money" deal. I get it. But if you just sit there and don't support the sport, it WILL go elsewhere. Economics dictate that.

I mean for God's sake, SELOC holds 1-2 meets A MONTH too. Sometimes we have 10 people show, sometimes 50. Mingle with the crowd. Talk to people. Make new connections. Go to a meet every once in a while just to meet the players. That's supporting the sport and that doesn't cost ANYTHING at all. We are a Lexus club, but we invite everyone no matter what you drive all the time. We love to hang out with other clubs and kinds of cars. It's not about, "We're better than you are", it's about "We wanna know WHO you are and WHAT you do to YOUR cars". Anyone that has gone to one of our meets can vouch for that.

If people won't even go to FREE meets, how do you expect promoters to spend big bucks to do a show????? That's why it's not always about money.

4dmin
05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
WE ARE STILL WORKING ON THE PRICES FOR OUR EVENT, BUT OUR SPECTATOR FEE IS ONLY 10$, AND ITS 5$ IF YOUR PREREGISTER OR BRING A FLYER

^ thats damn cheap... we are trying to get prices as low as possible and i know many other promoters are too, but its expensive to throw shows at big tracks/venues.

Jaimecbr900
05-10-2005, 10:56 AM
WE ARE STILL WORKING ON THE PRICES FOR OUR EVENT, BUT OUR SPECTATOR FEE IS ONLY 10$, AND ITS 5$ IF YOUR PREREGISTER OR BRING A FLYER

^ thats damn cheap... we are trying to get prices as low as possible and i know many other promoters are too, but its expensive to throw shows at big tracks/venues.

That is very reasonable pricing IMO. If people don't go to that, it's their own fault.

Tuan
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
biggest thin is u have to keep everyone fuking entertain...i mean theres only so many times i person can walk around and damn place b4 they die of being bored...we need to start targeting the kids that dun have cars yet and the ones that just go car...i rmember when i was like 15 and i went to car shows and shit i kept sayint o myself imma be in a team like x-rated,WTN,international allstars,eci, and whoever else all the time...a lot of ppl have started to go to shows and leave their cars at home which i dun understand...u put all that money into and u just wanna be a parking lot stunna...go ahead and put it in the fuking show and have a place to sit when ur bored or sumthing...BIGGIEST THING I WANNA SEE IS MORE IS PRESIDENTS OF TEAM PUTTING THEIR FOOT DOWN LIKE THEY USE TO AND GET THERE TEAM MATES TO GO AND SHOW...wasn;t there a time when teams use to make ppl have to show at certain amounts of shows b4 they could join a team...be honest shows are wut invented the import scene and we need to bring it back...we need to start making ppl that see our cars wanna get into the import scene jus like how we were amazed wit it when we saw rj de vera cars in import tuner...i use to love rushing to the mail box to see if super street or import tuner was in my mailbox and now i keep gettin it in teh mail and dun have time to flip through it...

Tuan
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
i haven;t seen a difference in price of admission

Kristi
05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
i don't have a lot of money either, i have a mortgage, car payment, school, etc. but it doesn't matter. if it is something you are into, then the price really doesn't matter, but even if you aren't into it, you will usually get your money's worth. I'm not into cars that much, but my family, friends, and my boyfriend are, so I go to the shows with them and I pay my money. Yea, I won't like most of the cars there but it is still fun to go. You get to see all the different things people do to their cars and you get ideas and see the different tastes people have. I may not like the cars - but I have an appreciation for the money, time, and effort put into them. And that is worth the money to me. Plus, its also worth it just to go out and support your friends and spend time with everyone IMO.

4dmin
05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/tfs/events.htm

^ our show site has been updated... check out the events page for prices/events and let us know what you think

The Yousef
05-10-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/tfs/events.htm

^ our show site has been updated... check out the events page for prices/events and let us know what you think

:goodjob: ...can't wait for it to start :)

A.P. Photography
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
..be honest shows are wut invented the import scene and we need to bring it back......
Shows didn't invent the import scene, the scene has always been around and it is part of a trend. It is an ever evolving trend that started since cars were invented it just goes through different avenues. I remember back in the early 90's it was all about the mini trucks and hydros. Everywhere you looked, that is all it was about, now it is all about drifting and performance. I remember going to NOPI when it was like $20 to show and now look at it. Back in the early to late 90's there were a lot of true custom cars and not cookie cutter cars so you could spend a whole day at a show looking at true custom cars. Honestly it is like it was said eariler about DUB, it gets old after a while walking around seeing pretty much all the same cars just different colors.

With the above being said I will be at HIN tho.

QuickBrick
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Ken (justunez) has it right, good positive suggestions bro…

Throwing a bone at the elites and clubs will get them to participate and bring numbers along with clean rides, once you develop a show that has a good turnout the following year it will return (if the judging, classes, time of day and the price is right). Classes definitely need to be thought out so that people who have minor builds/daily drivers have a chance to win and want to return, also there are a lot of domestics that play in the import arena, most are newer rides that don’t stand a chance at a Year One or church show with 22 inch wheels (rice to the old school), how about classing them like the imports?

Paul, as far as Drift this year I can tell you why they didn’t have the turnout they had last year (which was a good turnout). They didn’t contact the clubs and participants they have been contacting for the last two years (for both Mazda Extreme and Drift), they didn’t have judging last year (NCCA) and the pricing was ridicules. Drift wanted 50 to show for one day that’s ludicrous at a hot track with little to no judging and classes! The combo of the two killed the show this year. At a two day show I can see the price, but one day, nope wasn’t going to happen… I’ll probably get flamed for this but last year we brought 22 to the show and they decided because I told them that it would be 25 to alter the deal they had made with me, and a NCCA rep (not Fred or anyone from Slipstream) let me know about the change along with being ugly about it, also we were slated to receive promotional items (its nice to be in a club) that NCCA was to deliver and didn’t. Hell I can bring 10 to a show and get a break from most promoters this didn’t sit well. This year they also said only preregistered participants will be allowed to show, there are a lot of younger people (that Drift caters to) who do not have credit cards and are cash and carry, also some don’t know if they are going to have the weekend off until they are on top of it, this was a stupid mistake. HIN is making similar mistakes that will cost them numbers.

Suggestions to promoters and venders:

Learn who the players are, its not hard to talk to the people in charge of boards in a different state to learn who to contact. A simple e-mail can go a long way.
Pricing has to be thought out, I know the idea is to make money but you don’t have to kill us for it.
Classes have to be thought out, the scene has changed.
Judging is important! I don’t care if it’s a stock ride, the judges need to look and talk to the guy who spent hard earned money to show and build. And stress to the judges that communication can kill or make a future show, be nice.
Time of day (preferably night during hot months).
Look for conflicting events.
Add additions to appeal to families (good job last year FI).
Trophies, not some 10-inch Model A right hand drive trophy or friggen plaque ya cheap bastards.

IA is doing right this year and we will support, if your going to throw a show at a track make it a night show, God knows you’ll roast at Commerce during the day (as we have the last couple of years). There are two shows I’m looking forward to this year and both of them are at night, well done IA and wTn.

And Brett, you know as well as I the reason we both did 30+ shows two years ago was SLAP buddy, they scheduled one just about every weekend and for those of us who love to show we enjoyed it, the price was right and everyone in the club had a chance to place, I do miss them and Ray! Unfortunately some idiot decided (when it was getting good) to change things, a loss for the show community and Georgia.

If a show was done correctly in the past and/or you have contacted us we will make a show mandatory (especially if you’re a local club), if not you didn’t do something right…

Tom
Prez – Team FX (KAI)

4dmin
05-10-2005, 02:58 PM
IA is doing right this year and we will support, if your going to throw a show at a track make it a night show, God knows you’ll roast at Commerce during the day (as we have the last couple of years). There are two shows I’m looking forward to this year and both of them are at night, well done IA and wTn.
thanx Tom, like i've always said you let me know when Team FX is ready to do a show and i will help you guys 110%... its guys like you that keep this scene going strong.

Tuan
05-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Shows didn't invent the import scene, the scene has always been around and it is part of a trend. It is an ever evolving trend that started since cars were invented it just goes through different avenues. I remember back in the early 90's it was all about the mini trucks and hydros. Everywhere you looked, that is all it was about, now it is all about drifting and performance. I remember going to NOPI when it was like $20 to show and now look at it. Back in the early to late 90's there were a lot of true custom cars and not cookie cutter cars so you could spend a whole day at a show looking at true custom cars. Honestly it is like it was said eariler about DUB, it gets old after a while walking around seeing pretty much all the same cars just different colors.

With the above being said I will be at HIN tho.
welol wut i meant was if it wasn;t for guy puting shit in their cars and driving around no one would know about the import scene

KMDX
05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I have read some of the comments about the money, and variety, I think we need more variety at the local events, I don't believe money is the biggest issue due to the HUGE turnout the the NOPI Nat's gets every year!! HIN- same car different city! ROAD ATLANTA- Local Car clubs you see all year,k I'm rambling my point is we need variety!!!! :blah: :blah:

Jaimecbr900
05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Amen Tom! :goodjob:

Brett
05-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Ken’s (justunez)And Brett, you know as well as I the reason we both did 30+ shows two years ago was SLAP buddy, they scheduled one just about every weekend and for those of us who love to show we enjoyed it, the price was right and everyone in the club had a chance to place, I do miss them and Ray! Unfortunately some idiot decided (when it was getting good) to change things, a loss for the show community and Georgia.

Yeah SLAP got a bad rep the last year we did it, started getting few to many people to show, and we just ended up "buying" our trophey. Me personally if I get one, I want to to be earned, not givin to me by default. But damn was it fun the 2003-2004 seasons to have shows every weekend to pick from, hang out with everyone on a weekly basis at shows and just do what we enjoy, and thats prep the cars for a show, and show them.

We used to have some of the best judges to do the shows. People like Pablo, Kevin, Alex, The Allstar Guys, etc did some of the best at shows when it came to being a judge. They didnt pick favorites, they picked cars they felt deserved it. To me I think judges are the downfall of shows now these days. Example, HIN last year... NCCA gave us all rule books when we registered, I was in MILD ( I know I wasnt going to place at HIN ) but they allowed people to pick thier class, and then the judges who were working the show even admitted they were new and not true NCCA judges ( The good judges were at a bigger venue that weekend ) and then they had cars in MILD that were CLEARLY not in a mild class, and they cleaned up in a class that street driven, mild custom cars should have placed in, instead it was fully custom painted, molded, etc cars in MILD ( Clear rules said that was not what mild was ) So when we pay $50 at a show, Its not about the money I drop, I will pay $100 to show my car if its a great event, and to me HIN was a show that I felt was worth the cash, to be among the elite cars, and exposure, but I left there with a VERY sour taste in my mouth with them allowing cars to pick thier class, bad judges, and rude ass show workers. Im sorry, but if we are paying that kind of high dollar for a show, They BETTER have proper cars in the proper class, Good judges, and people working it who care, I am seeing how HIN goes this year and that will decide if I ever go back.

But what it comes down to ( I Stil dont say its money ) is if we are paying the dollars to show, Have the proper cars in proper class's, good judges who do thier job and take the time to do it right.

TKellarB
05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
IMO:

The show we (FI) threw last year at Lanier had a lot of these problems solved.....

We had contests, team games, stereo comp, show, prizes, food, "boobies"..... and it ended up being one of the biggest club shows of the year.... and I still hear to this day from peeps it was a good show...

So true!!! This was my second show (first one was in Anderson SC and was a bomb). The show last year that FI put on was awesome -- there were things to do during the show, the entry fee was reasonable, the people I met also showing were great and didn't mind talking to a newbie like myself and giving me info and tips. I truly felt welcomed and a part of the scene. I would attend a show like this every month!!:bigok:

Julio
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
BTW prices have been around the same average since ive been in GA.. I started doing car shows in GA in 1998.. same price range 20 to 30 bucks for a regular show.. Nopi was like 60 or so, can't remember... Also I remember some nopi regionals were free at one point.

bigb996
05-10-2005, 08:37 PM
I am agreeing in a lot of ways there is a lot of things that everyone can agree or dissagree on. Most of us complain about the prices because we are cheap asses. If we wanted to show and participate enough we could find a way in most cases. Not all mind you. Im not sure if any of you remeber the nopi regionals they used to have at the nopi store in snellville(now shutdown) but 2 years ago i entered it and it was 10 bucks to enter. They were smal lshows mind you but it was always a fun thing and there were nothign but hot rides there the best thing was the atmosphere of the hwole thing. If things like this happened more people woudl say hey its a cheap show and maybee i have a shot at a trophie and even meetin some cool people. I dunno.
Next thing is like admin said they have meets for IA members 2 nights a week. I think if many of us stared to show at this we could get to know each other very well and even build a scene that is more involved. We could all get together as a Import/domestic car community and work together to bring what was once here back. I think like most have said its just gonna take some work on all of our parts. It seems like eveyrone has just kinda slacked a little on there part and i will admit that i am as guilty as most and i want to bring what once was back.

YokotaS13
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
the biggest problem i see at any show, is biased judging. Thats my problem with car shows. (since thats really all i have done in teh past) A few of them have been decent, but i know some shows they dont judge all cars equally, as in one car, they check the undercarriage, the other they dont. Stuff liek that. Its irregularities in judging that piss me off. Thats really my only gripe. I cant make to many shows becuase i work so much, and weekend duty is random. never know when planes are gonna break