PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detector opinion needed please

trythefly
05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
I need to buy a new radar detector soon for the wedding/honeymoon and want to know what everyone thinks is the best bang for your buck out right now.....

Opinions please!

:)

TRAY_STi
05-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Check out www.radartest.com

Best ones are Passport 8500 & the Valentine one. I have the Passport 8500 and the laser shifter. Its good!

bigb996
05-09-2005, 03:45 PM
all the guys at work(best buy) tell me to only buy passport because they are the best right now.

Red
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I like my passport. Tray's right, either passport or valentine one.

Eli
05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Passport or Valentine One. I got the passport, its a $100 cheaper than the valentine and its debatable which one is better.

Nismo
05-09-2005, 06:31 PM
valentine 1 all the way

Jaimecbr900
05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I have both. You can't go wrong with either. My personal favorite is the V1.

HEATON
05-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Yea deff a cordless one, incase you needa pull it down in a hurry. ALso dont know the name of the company but the one that will actually pay for the ticket if you get one.

Deaf Pimp
05-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen now. Most police cars have a hold button on their radars. So they just press hold and when they want to clock you they release it and boom they have your speed. Radar detector goes off and they got you already.

Jaimecbr900
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Yea deff a cordless one, incase you needa pull it down in a hurry. ALso dont know the name of the company but the one that will actually pay for the ticket if you get one.

Cordless have no where near the same range as corded ones. The one that "pays" for tickets is absolutely worthless.

Jaimecbr900
05-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen now. Most police cars have a hold button on their radars. So they just press hold and when they want to clock you they release it and boom they have your speed. Radar detector goes off and they got you already.

Only if you use a cheap detector. Good detectors let you know when THEY are getting clocked ahead of you giving you time to slow down before it's YOUR turn.

Deaf Pimp
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Only if you use a cheap detector. Good detectors let you know when THEY are getting clocked ahead of you giving you time to slow down before it's YOUR turn.

Of course. Now laser is a whole different story... good luck with that.

Streetking322
05-09-2005, 10:20 PM

Pays for your ticket? Rocky Mountain Radar biggest peice of shit ever... got clocked going 70 in 45, peice of shit never made a sound. radar/lazer detector and scramble my ass. Slammed it on the ground and started stomping it when I got out of the car that day, there's still broken plastic chunks on my driveway. And they only pay for you ticket if you were going less than 15% over the speed limit.

HEATON
05-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Actually i think its a diff brand maybe some Cobra model or something.

Jaimecbr900
05-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Of course. Now laser is a whole different story... good luck with that.

True Laser is much harder to detect. That's actually the biggest debate right now when there are contests. Which one has the widest visibility of the laser gun. Some have said the 8500, some tests have said the V1.

Either way, it's always been the 8500 (and now it's Bel stable mate since Bel is owned by Passport now) and the V1. The V1 is the only upgradeable unit on the market right now. The 8500 does have the laser shifter system which is IMO the best and only real defense against the laser. Pick your poison, but those two are always 1-2 in every reliable test. Can't go wrong with either.

Sirius R
05-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Actually i think its a diff brand maybe some Cobra model or something.

K40 will pay the ticket. You pay the points.

accordon17s
05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
What about the one that Mike from X-Rated with the Volvo has. It makes u invisible to the cops, like sends an error message to the gun or something. I might be wrong but i heard him and someone talkin about it one night at a meet.

AtlantaImportGuy
05-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I like my Cobra personally. When I broke the adapter I called the customer service to try and hook up a hard wire but it wasn't working. So I sent it to them and even though my detector was a little out of warranty, they sent me a new detector with two adapters and a dual sig adapter so I could charge my cell phone! Thats muthafucking service.

HEATON
05-10-2005, 11:20 AM
What about the one that Mike from X-Rated with the Volvo has. It makes u invisible to the cops, like sends an error message to the gun or something. I might be wrong but i heard him and someone talkin about it one night at a meet.
Kinda like a jammer, where it just says 000000 or 9999999 acorss their lil screen.

trythefly
05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Kinda like a jammer, where it just says 000000 or 9999999 acorss their lil screen.

Those are illegal as hell though....

Thanks for all the feedback on the new units everyone!

accordon17s
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Only illegal if it can be proven.....

Tuan
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM

Jaimecbr900
05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Those are illegal as hell though....

Thanks for all the feedback on the new units everyone!

Jammers are illegal. The only "jammers" that work are big and cumbersome military units. There are NO jammers available for sale to the public that work. NONE.

Passport's laser shifter does just that, shifts the signal and the gun can't get a reading because the light does not reflect back in the correct path. It doesn't actually "jam" the signal. Although it nets the same result.

Here is all the info on the setup. It is the pimpest setup and defense against laser IMO:
http://www.passportsr1.com/sr7plus.htm

İhris
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
i have a cobra for sale.... with jammer. if interested

trythefly
05-10-2005, 02:49 PM
the shameless plug!

Ruiner
05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Jammers are illegal. The only "jammers" that work are big and cumbersome military units. There are NO jammers available for sale to the public that work. NONE.

Passport's laser shifter does just that, shifts the signal and the gun can't get a reading because the light does not reflect back in the correct path. It doesn't actually "jam" the signal. Although it nets the same result.

Here is all the info on the setup. It is the pimpest setup and defense against laser IMO:
http://www.passportsr1.com/sr7plus.htm

You beat me to it. Yes, the "jammers" that are sold don't work despite the urban legends.

As for which radar to get, the V1 is the way to go. The "arrows" showing yout he direction of the signal is something that you can't live w/o once you have experienced it. The 8500 does not have those arrows.

chuck
05-11-2005, 11:14 AM
You beat me to it. Yes, the "jammers" that are sold don't work despite the urban legends...

there are some that work, they have to be mounted up in the front and are marketed as "garage door confirmers" or something like that and aren't tied into a radar detector. when they get hit by radar they send back a signal and light up a light for 5-10 seconds while you slow down, then its disabled...5th gear or someone did an episode on them and tested them all out

disco
05-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I got a 8500 and it's great! used to have a whistler 1650 or something that worked decent too and was much cheaper.

Spyder
05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
comparison of the ones discussed in this topic.
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9090

the thing that isnt mentioned is that in car radar detectors are 35% less accurate then the multi part or "remote" ones which i prefer and are nicer when installed.

example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39768&item=5773792624&rd=1

Jaimecbr900
05-13-2005, 11:04 PM
comparison of the ones discussed in this topic.
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9090

the thing that isnt mentioned is that in car radar detectors are 35% less accurate then the multi part or "remote" ones which i prefer and are nicer when installed.

Sorry bud, but obviously you don't know the story behind Peterson and Valentine. Craig Peterson has a personal vendetta against Mike Valentine, V1's creator. It stems from Peterson having bad blood towards Valentine from back in the day when Valentine invented the original Passport and he worked for now defunct Cincinatti Microwave. Mike Valentine left Passport to develop his own unit, what turned out to be the V1. The V1 when it first came out, trounced every other unit available by a long shot. It wasn't even close. In subsequent years, Passport has totally closed the gap to be a head-to-head competitor now. Soooooo, in every single test posted by Craig Peterson the V1 LOSES......that's the only tests in which it loses by as big a margin as he claims. Notice how in that website that offers an "unbiased" test, they SELL the BEL and the Passport units. Don't you think that's funny??? Also notice in that "article" how Peterson bad mouths Valentine and noone else. Now you know the reason why. I put far more credibility on the man that at one point INVENTED both the Passport AND the V1. That says a lot about the person IMO. He's the only one that can claim inventing BOTH the winners of every test out there. Also in that test, notice the garbage filler stuff being used for comparison.....hard case? voice alerts? auto mute?

It has long been debated that only a handful of tests have been done that are truly UNbiased. Here is one of them:

http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0402_radar/index.html

In it you will find that the V1 loses to the 8500 by .1 pts. That is 1 tenth of a point. Even there, they are definetly the front runners overall. The Bel unit I don't count as much simply because it's the 8500's internals with a different case (Passport and Bel are the same company now) so it's the same stuff different color. In that article, if you read all 11 pgs, you will find that the nod for first place and that .1 pt is due to the ability of the 8500 to be able to use a laser shifter (as I previously mentioned is the ultimate laser defense). It also mentions that the sensitivity, or range, of the V1 is measurably better in a couple of bands AND Laser. That to me is the reason to have a RD in the first place, so I place a little more weight on that than other junk comparison like hard case included or not.

BTW, you also need to notice that the "remote" detectors scored considerably LOWER than dash mount units. Why? Because they are mounted substantially lower on the vehicle and therefore have a SHORTER range than dash mounted units. So, they may be more stealthy and much more cleaner install, but they also leave you considerably LESS protected comparatively.