PDA

View Full Version : tranny problem????(EEEK!!)

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
my girl just bought a 2000 civic ex form MOG about a month ago. well the other day i was driving it and i noticed its been acting weird. i was sitting at the 120 and sugarloaf redlight. she has a auto tranny and i take off and aboutwhen i hit 2k rpm, i laid into it for shits and giggles. well it kinda hesitated a second and took off. It felt as if the car started off in 2nd then downshifted into first. sometimes also when the car is cold, it shifts hard, not violently just harder than i figured a civic should. Not sure thats what happened though but the car only has 83k and i didnt think the tranny should be acting up especailly when we have another with 250k that still is fine. ive heard 2 different answers regarding this though and wandering if anyone could tell me if it could/couldnt be either or have any idea as to what it is. ive heard that its either the transmission is fucked up bad or the timing is fucked up. any help is appreciated

Vteckidd
06-16-2006, 12:25 AM
change the transmission fluid first, sometimes they can "slip" because of dirty fluid.

it can be the TQ converter going bad as well.

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 12:34 AM
thanks mike. So you dont think it could be timing related though?? Honda wants $85 for a diagnostic. lol, i was like fuck that ill break the shit then tow it there

Vteckidd
06-16-2006, 12:39 AM
it could be, bring it byone day an ill check it.

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 12:52 AM
since i have a warranty through honda, if you do a diagnostic, do i have to pay them again for a diagnostic or just be like "hey, this is fucked up" and they fix it??

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 08:30 AM
since i have a warranty through honda, if you do a diagnostic, do i have to pay them again for a diagnostic or just be like "hey, this is fucked up" and they fix it??

if you tell them you deny the diagnosis . they will just write it on your invoice *diagnosis declined by customer* so if you have the same problem again . they will use that against you and charge you again . seent hat happen :mad:

Vteckidd
06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
oh if its got a warranty take that shit to Honda, they SHOULDNT charge you ANYTHING if your car carries a warranty

speedminded
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
It's a month old from a honda dealership...take it back and talk to the salesman :slap: Is it certified?

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
oh if its got a warranty take that shit to Honda, they SHOULDNT charge you ANYTHING if your car carries a warranty

i talked to a friend of mine who works at gwinnett place honda and he said that they still charge the $85 diagnostic fee and it takes like an hour. I told him that was nuts and i can feel the shit happen 5 minutes down the road so im not letting them dog the shit out of a car for an hour.

as far as it being certified, they couldnt certify it because of mileage or the year (cant remember) BUT they did give us a 12 month/12k mile warranty

Vteckidd
06-16-2006, 11:11 AM
go in there an talk to a SERVICE MANAGER. thats bullshit

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
what do i say?? "hey man, my car is jacked up and you guys need to fix it?" i dont know how to approach the situation without being a douchebag and the fact that they screwed my girlfriend into getting it raped us on the price kinda pisses me off too. its a 2000 and its been wrecked in front before too and theyn wanted $11k. she got them down to 10.5 with $0 down though

speedminded
06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
what do i say?? "hey man, my car is jacked up and you guys need to fix it?" i dont know how to approach the situation without being a douchebag and the fact that they screwed my girlfriend into getting it raped us on the price kinda pisses me off too. its a 2000 and its been wrecked in front before too and theyn wanted $11k. she got them down to 10.5 with $0 down thoughyou finance it through them? either way could have walked out with it for well under $8k...probably closer to $6k

Simply tell them you are having a transmission problem, you just purchased the vehicle a month ago.

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
yeah we financed through them cause we needed a car at the time cause me and my girl both work together but we needed a new car but i was kinda pissed when she told me that.theres a $100 deductible on the warranty. the car was 9,570 and some bs charges took it to 10.5 and then taxes took it a little over 11 so after payments it ends up being like 14k on a 6 year old civic. kinda fucked up.

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 12:08 PM
like vtecc kid said talk to the service manager , if that doesnthelp talk to his boss if that doesnt help tlak to the boss's boss . keep on going up the chain , and you will get results. and if it has 12k warranty that should cover it , BTW seomtimes you have to be a douchbag to get things done right

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 03:49 PM
like vtecc kid said talk to the service manager , if that doesnthelp talk to his boss if that doesnt help tlak to the boss's boss . keep on going up the chain , and you will get results. and if it has 12k warranty that should cover it , BTW seomtimes you have to be a douchbag to get things done right

cool. i had some errands to take care of earlier so i didnt get around to going but my girl said she noticed the shifting and the bogging when she test drove it but said "oh, i thought it was just cause of vtec" :doh: so do i tell them this, so that i point out that it was an issue already and that it hasnt happened in the 800 miles weve put on it or do i say that it just started happening??

BABY J
06-16-2006, 03:53 PM
i talked to a friend of mine who works at gwinnett place honda and he said that they still charge the $85 diagnostic fee and it takes like an hour. I told him that was nuts and i can feel the shit happen 5 minutes down the road so im not letting them dog the shit out of a car for an hour.

as far as it being certified, they couldnt certify it because of mileage or the year (cant remember) BUT they did give us a 12 month/12k mile warranty

Cottman Xmission charges NOTHING for a xmission check. Also when you switch it, go w/ Royal Purple gear oil. ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST SHIT ON THE PLANET I ASSURE YOU.

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Cottman Xmission charges NOTHING for a xmission check. Also when you switch it, go w/ Royal Purple gear oil. ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST SHIT ON THE PLANET I ASSURE YOU.

cool bro. im going to have to check into that. Thats my main issue is that i dont want honda saying "well thats not the issue" and telling me its nothing then me have to keep going in. im going to call the service manager tomorrow and see what happens. + 1 when i get a chance for the info though

BABY J
06-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Good luck, keep us posted. ALSO $20 to the 1st person who switches to Royal Purple and can HONESTLY say they do not feel the difference IMMEDTIATELY (both motor oil AND gear oil). Spec Vs are NOT known for the best tranny's... when I made the switch my shifts and tranny feel and EFFICIENCY (due to not as much loss in performance due to heat) was AMAZING. It is worth the $5/Quart (average for 10w/30) HANDS DOWN!!

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 10:18 PM

the thing if if its warrantied take it to the dealer . since you say your buddy works at honda he can call the honda tech line an ask abotu the TSB on that vehicle. or just look it up in the computer. i would try this before going to a other shop

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 10:19 PM
the thing if if its warrantied take it to the dealer . since you say your buddy works at honda he can call the honda tech line an ask abotu the TSB on that vehicle. or just look it up in the computer. i would try this before going to a other shop

im kinda retarded sometimes...whats TSB??

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 10:23 PM
im kinda retarded sometimes...whats TSB??

technical service bulletin.. and all dealer have them on there vehicles . i use to use ALL DATA and they also had them for all vehicles, mostly small shops have all data or mitchel in deman

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 11:41 PM
gotcha. my buddy uses all data but thats a bad ass sig man

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 11:45 PM
gotcha. my buddy uses all data but thats a bad ass sig man lol thanks

and he should be able to get ALL TSB from ALL DATA for you . *IF* its updated

2.0civic
06-16-2006, 11:55 PM
yeah. i got him to test drive it cause originally i was thinking it was just how my girl drove it and then he drove it and was like WTF!! lol, i would get him to fix it and let honda foot the bill but im not sure they would do that.

typerek
06-17-2006, 02:05 AM
i work there and if you talk nicely enough to them and it doesnt work just keep complaining and ask to talk to a manager they cant help ask to talk to the gm. they will get it done all for free. my mom bought a 2003 volvo there and since she paid cash and got my discount she didn't get a waranty but she was really nice yet demanding and got 1500 dollar problem fixed for free. another thing is automatic ek's ALWAYS shift hard.

2.0civic
06-17-2006, 02:08 AM
i work there and if you talk nicely enough to them and it doesnt work just keep complaining and ask to talk to a manager they cant help ask to talk to the gm. they will get it done all for free. my mom bought a 2003 volvo there and since she paid cash and got my discount she didn't get a waranty but she was really nice yet demanding and got 1500 dollar problem fixed for free. another thing is automatic ek's ALWAYS shift hard.

gotcha. its not really the hard shifting im concerned with as much as the when you need to get on it, it seems to struggle. the car has been wrecked before and i didnt find that out until we bought it and went up there a few days later and our salesguy casually dropped that on us

2.0civic
06-17-2006, 02:12 AM
so do i call first or just walk in and talk to them?? lol, since you work there, do you know if they are hiring sales??

SLow_POke
06-17-2006, 11:49 AM
walk in. they will take you more seriously

typerek
06-18-2006, 03:39 PM
yea dont call cause they'll get an attitude cause they're not talking to you in your face just be as nice as possible until they try to step on you and say no thats when you start getting serious. yea they are always hiring for sales. especially summer time sales are higher.

aaronfelipe
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Sue HMOG.

2.0civic
06-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Sue HMOG.

lol, i really dont think that i can. my issue with the thing is that, Yes, it was as-is in the window but then they gave us a 12k mile warranty/12 month when we finished paperwork. i really cant prove it was an issue then except for the fact that my girl said it kinda felt weird driving it when she test drove it. i really dont want to sue them i just dont want to get to 13k miles and them say oh fuck you have a nice day!! kinda off topic but can someone run the carfax again for me?? me cousin ran it for me but i didnt see it he just told me it had been wrecked though and im kinda pissed off now.