PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder

Hektik
06-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Would a fucked up cylinder cause ur car to shake at about 40-60 mph's?

Also would it make the car fail emmision's?

Thanks in advance.

+1 to any helpfull response:goodjob:

3kgtdrvr
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
technically i guess its possible it could cause it to shake but i highly doubt its ur problem, u would probably notice it other times anyway. id check allignment, balanced tires, road force variation, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack, stuff like that

again its possible a bad cylnder can cause u to fail but again i doubt thats the problem. id check other stuff first like cats, egr valve, even stuff like plugs wires, ditributor cap and button, pcv valve, etc

SLow_POke
06-15-2006, 08:50 PM
technically i guess its possible it could cause it to shake but i highly doubt its ur problem, u would probably notice it other times anyway. id check allignment, balanced tires, road force variation, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack, stuff like that

again its possible a bad cylnder can cause u to fail but again i doubt thats the problem. id check other stuff first like cats, egr valve, even stuff like plugs wires, ditributor cap and button, pcv valve, etc

i doubt that a cylinder will cause vibration in only 40-60 mph . sounds more like a unbalanced tire IMO.

also 3kgt right i would defenately think you'll fail emmision on a dead hole ... or how is ithe cylinder fucked ?

Hektik
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Im not really sure wahts wrong with the car. actually its a van, I know i didnt wan to admit it earlier. its a 98 dodge caravan but the mechanic just said something was wrong with the # cylinder that it wasnt working properly. about the shaking i have already had it alligned and the tires re-balanced and rotated. I have not gotten the emmisions done yet but i was just wondering if itcould cause the emmisions to fail due to the cylinder not working properly..

again thaks alot guys..

SLow_POke
06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Im not really sure wahts wrong with the car. actually its a van, I know i didnt wan to admit it earlier. its a 98 dodge caravan but the mechanic just said something was wrong with the # cylinder that it wasnt working properly. about the shaking i have already had it alligned and the tires re-balanced and rotated. I have not gotten the emmisions done yet but i was just wondering if itcould cause the emmisions to fail due to the cylinder not working properly..

again thaks alot guys..

as far as vibration . then u might want to check your front suspention. like 3kgt mention . and

i think the mechanic should have told you what was wrong with the cylinder ex; no compression . no fuel, leaking valves burn valves ect.ect .. i worked on a on a 2001 ford windstar v6 , before she had me fix it . she took it to a shop . it was hesitating MIL light was on and idleling fuked. anyway they told her her fuel pump was bad . no other explanation . turn out i hooked up a scan tool running lean in 2 cylinders, and LTFT was compansating tot he max riching it out . any way long story short turn out to be a vaccum leak that wasnt noticeable looked at it for some time till i figured it out .
get a second opinion . or test the cylinder urself . CLT for mechanical problems . or a nice scanner for electrical .
adn i still think it will effect emmsions. hope this helps some what LOL

an0therh22
06-16-2006, 07:36 AM
i had the problem with my first accord i think it mihgt be ur tie rods or cv axle highly doubt that a non workin cylinder would do that but i could be wrong

Dominic49
06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
could also be an improperly installed brake rotor or just an unballenced one...

3kgtdrvr
06-16-2006, 06:06 PM
i doubt that a cylinder will cause vibration in only 40-60 mph . sounds more like a unbalanced tire IMO.

also 3kgt right i would defenately think you'll fail emmision on a dead hole ... or how is ithe cylinder fucked ?

my bad, i read it wrong. i was thinkin hes having these problems and trying to diagnose like he failed and was wondering if it could be a bad cylinder, which is possible but i would doubt that because u would probably notice it without having to get it tested and so i woudl think it was somethign esle first. if u know u have a *bad* cylinder then i would say its very possible ud fail. like smokeem said if we knew what was actually bad about it then it would help

green91
06-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, if you have low compression or a misfire either one on a bad cylinder is will more than likely throw a misfire code causing you to fail emissions. it will typically have poor idle if there is a misfire.

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes, if you have low compression or a misfire either one on a bad cylinder is will more than likely throw a misfire code causing you to fail emissions. it will typically have poor idle if there is a misfire.

again not all the time while it throw a check engine light on a dead hole . . but mostl likely make you fail emmsion. misfires yes but sometimes if there to eratic will it onyl throw a MIL. misfires are normal on engines but happen very few times .

green91
06-16-2006, 11:17 PM
if it doesnt set a cel then how would you fail emissions? its a 98 model, obdII.. no cel/codes = passed emissions. any new model car would set a misfire code, and possibly a fuel trim code due to unburned fuel from the misfire if the cylinder has very low compression or an ignition problem

SLow_POke
06-16-2006, 11:43 PM
if it doesnt set a cel then how would you fail emissions? its a 98 model, obdII.. no cel/codes = passed emissions. any new model car would set a misfire code, and possibly a fuel trim code due to unburned fuel from the misfire if the cylinder has very low compression or an ignition problem

if you get no or see no MIL you'll pass visiual doesnt mean your going to pass the dyno and or tail pipe test (4gas)
you would fail sniffer test to much or to lilttle co's, knox o2 co2 ect ect. . yes your LTFT and STFT will be effected its effected on your daily driving habits .

and not any new vehicle willset a MIL until til its too much

green91
06-17-2006, 07:02 AM
they dont put obdII vehicles on a sniffer. perhaps chryslers arent as picky, but toyotas will set a misfire DTC very easily.. and even if it doesnt set it in 2 trips it will be held as a pending code after 1 decent misfire.

SLow_POke
06-17-2006, 09:44 AM
they dont put obdII vehicles on a sniffer. perhaps chryslers arent as picky, but toyotas will set a misfire DTC very easily.. and even if it doesnt set it in 2 trips it will be held as a pending code after 1 decent misfire.

lol .. i was under the impression that they have emmsision testing like they did in cali ? at least i was told . and as far as i know they put any random car on the dyno even OBD2( at least in cali) i had to put my 2000 civic on a tail pipe and dyno.

and yes it might trip it and be held but wont mean anythign if it doesnt set the MIL . and pending codes arent stored all the time .there IN the KAM if i remember right and erase after each power down . also im not to familar with toyotas and there trouble codes,
i haev a honda and didnt trip a misfire , untill if was majorly noticeable . i felt and heard the misfire but no MIL till after 2 months . theoredically it should have thrown a MIL but it didnt. an its not the first honda to do that that i know of also :)

3kgtdrvr
06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
sometimes, sometimes not. also u could end up burning up ur car/cats and end up throwing a code anyway.

green91
06-17-2006, 04:44 PM
lol .. i was under the impression that they have emmsision testing like they did in cali ? at least i was told . and as far as i know they put any random car on the dyno even OBD2( at least in cali) i had to put my 2000 civic on a tail pipe and dyno.

and yes it might trip it and be held but wont mean anythign if it doesnt set the MIL . and pending codes arent stored all the time .there IN the KAM if i remember right and erase after each power down . also im not to familar with toyotas and there trouble codes,
i haev a honda and didnt trip a misfire , untill if was majorly noticeable . i felt and heard the misfire but no MIL till after 2 months . theoredically it should have thrown a MIL but it didnt. an its not the first honda to do that that i know of also :)

pending codes arent deleted until reset by a scan tool or erased by removing the efi fuse.

SLow_POke
06-17-2006, 05:57 PM
pending codes arent deleted until reset by a scan tool or erased by removing the efi fuse.

i stand corrected. been a while :goodjob:
but it doesnt have to be deleted with a scan tool or efi fuse .if it is not triggered AGAIN* within some time it will not store it .