PDA

View Full Version : B20 on synthetic oil?

collins
06-14-2006, 03:10 PM
would it be worth it to start using synthetic oil in my fresh B20 swap? would i notice a difference or would it just be a waste of money?

BigPoppaHurtm
06-14-2006, 09:12 PM
would it be worth it to start using synthetic oil in my fresh B20 swap? would i notice a difference or would it just be a waste of money?

Is it a newly built motor, or is it a used swap? If its used then regular motor oil is what you need. Synthetics are thinner than mineral by nature. Even if they are both the same weight the synthetic will always be a little thinner. The problem with this is that if your motor has been used to regular and you start using synthetic then you may start to burn oil because the piston rings have seated using a much thicker oil. On the other hand if its a newly built motor then yeah go with synthetic.

3kgtdrvr
06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
^very true. i knew a guy with a grand national and he switched to synthetic and his rear main seal and i think his front seal just like disengrated. domestics are supposidly worse but u can still burn oil but i mean i know plenty of people and even i have switched with no problem

scttydb411
06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
newer motors seals can handle synthetics better than old school motors that have original seals. the b20 should be able to handle synthetic w/ no prob. the question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth the extra for synthetic? if this is a fresh rebuild and you are going to be changing the oil at 100mi, 500mi, 1000mi, etc during the break in...do you want to spend $4-5/qt. if the motor is already broken in then the benefits of syntetic are there in terms of thermal breakdown and longer oil changes if you are not into changing your oil every 3k miles. unless your motor is got tons of miles on it, it shouldn't be a problem to make the switch. if you are boosted, synthetic is even better because it doesn't break down, burn, and coke inside the turbo as easily.

weigh your options as well as your wallet.

i stand behind the use of full synthetic and highly recommend it...it just depends on your situation.

BigPoppaHurtm
06-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that I started using synthetic in my car at around 36K and besides a little oil burning which is normal for some s2ks I havent had any problems. Im not sure if the previous owner used synthetic or not though.

collins
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
tru tru... thanks for all the infop guys.