PDA

View Full Version : Changing rotors on EG?

Demsum
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I've recently bought some new rotors for the eg, because the old ones are rusty and corroded to hell. The car is originally from Ohio, and it seems like the rotors havent been changed in a very long time. So my first problem was getting off the two screws holding the rotor on. I tried myself, only stipped it a little and stopped. Mainstream tried to get them off with the airgun, they broke a couple screw bits and weren't successfull. Me and a friend of mind decided to just drill the screw away and just get this done. We completely drilled the screw away and sprayed the hell out of it with liquid wrench, still no go. We next pounded the hell out of it with a rubber malet, only result from this was a lot of rust falling out. Is there anything I'm not doing here? my brakes a starting to make noises now and I need this done asap. If anyone has a suggestion, or has had this problem before help me out. I'd really appreciate the help right now.

speedminded
06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
#1 reason why never by a car from up north! Maybe turn them while they are on the car (some places can do it) then just put in fresh pads?

Demsum
06-14-2006, 02:51 PM
What do you mean when you say "turn them"? Do you mean like a resurface while they are still on the car?

speedminded
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
What do you mean when you say "turn them"? Do you mean like a resurface while they are still on the car?yeah, it's called "on-car resurfacing" with a hub mount lathe and alot of dealers use them...they mount to the hub like a wheel while the car is up on the lift.

Demsum
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
That would be cool If I didn't already buy new Rotora rotors for the front and rear disc brakes I got. I'm waiting until I can change the front rotors before I install the rear disc. It would look kinda lame to have such a nice setup on the back, and just regular factory rotors on the front.

I was told that I didnt have to remove the center lug to change my rotors, so I didn't. Does the center lug need to be removed?

dereksi
06-14-2006, 03:15 PM
So the screws are drilled and stripped to hell? There is a tool that is made just for taking those screws its called an impact driver(before they are fucked up of course,lol) Try a punch with a sharp point and knock a notch in the side and with a hammer and punch try to unscrew it that way. You know what I mean? Like bang on the punch that is in the notch counter clockwise.

speedminded
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
That would be cool If I didn't already buy new Rotora rotors for the front and rear disc brakes I got. I'm waiting until I can change the front rotors before I install the rear disc. It would look kinda lame to have such a nice setup on the back, and just regular factory rotors on the front.

I was told that I didnt have to remove the center lug to change my rotors, so I didn't. Does the center lug need to be removed?The axle nut does not have to be removed to pull off the rotor, just the two rotor screws...

speedminded
06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
...as for getting the rotor screws off, someone *ahem* should have known to use a hammer drill with a tiny bit pushing the screw in a counterclockwise rotation...it would either rotate the screw or shear it's head off. :2cents:

dereksi
06-14-2006, 03:21 PM
...as for getting the rotor screws off, someone *ahem* should have known to use a hammer drill with a tiny bit pushing the screw in a counterclockwise rotation...it would either rotate the screw or shear it's head off. :2cents:
yep thats what I said.

speedminded
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
yep thats what I said.exactly, but cheat with air tools :tongue:

dereksi
06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
;) lol

speedminded
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
BUT now you say you drilled the screws out but the rotor still won't come off?

...Get a bigger hammer :)

Actually just quit using a rubber mallet, if you're replacing the rotor anyways it doesn't really matter if you mark up the surface or even warp the rotor. You sprayed behind the rotor where it meets the hub, and not just in the screw holes correct?

SLow_POke
06-14-2006, 03:27 PM
BUT now you say you drilled the screws out but the rotor still won't come off?

...Get a bigger hammer :)
i second that
should fall off at this point

Demsum
06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
My friend had the impact bit, the screws still didnt budge. Thats why we drilled the hell out of them. I figured I'd just buy new screws once i get the new ones on. I didnt want to use a real hammer because if I damaged them and they still didnt come off it wouldnt even be drivable, I was also scared of damaging the spindell. Tommorrow i'm gonna give it all I got and beat it with a real hammer. Today the high pitched squeal has gotten to noticable. I hope the liquid wrench and claw hammer work.

dereksi
06-14-2006, 03:52 PM
claw hammer?? Oh shit watch out Lol

speedminded
06-14-2006, 03:57 PM
claw hammer?? Oh shit watch out Lolno shit! claw hammers are for pulling nails from wood, i wouldn't suggest using one for any metal work... How about take a flat chisel and hammer between the spindel/hub and the rotor...does it have a dust shield?

Demsum
06-14-2006, 04:29 PM
yeah, I got a dust shield.