PDA

View Full Version : What are people thinking sometimes?!?

SwiftGTiRacer
03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Ok, my buddy just e-mailed me telling me that he finally finished shaving his side molding on his 93 civic. I asked him what he did and he began to say he used BONDO. What the hell are people thinking?!? I tried to explain to him that wasn't the best idea i've heard. Is this even fixable? He asked what he needs to do then before he gets the car painted. How do you just get rid of a truck load of bondo thats already on the car like that? I have no clue what to tell him.

Swifty

civic95
03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
It's fixable. It needs to be chiseled out, sanded, and then the proper way would be to weld in pieces of metal, and grind it till its smooth.

5thgcelica
03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
yeah or just grind the hell out of it....if he doesnt know how to weld just throw in fiberglass like i did. took the door handle out and put several layers of fiberglass in. made sure it didnt sink in very much and then just smoothed it out with bondo.

dont knock on him too much. he may have not known any better. i know if done a lot of body work and it was completely wrong and sucks but i didnt know any better.

Jimmy B
03-08-2005, 09:17 AM
weld then glass,.. there is not other way to do it right...

4dmin
03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
shaving always needs to be welded then glassed... only way to make it right, and even then if you don't weld it right it will come out

bastarling84
03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
whats up interfooler?! haha. its bastard.

fiberglass is a bad idea. almost as bad as bondo. the shit will start to warp and crack with time, ruining the paint, which is not cheap at all as im sure anyone knows.

4dmin
03-08-2005, 09:40 AM
^ what he said... i wouldn't suggest it on a daily driver unless you plan on redoing it once a year

SwiftGTiRacer
03-08-2005, 10:05 AM
whats up Bastarling84. I thought i recognized your screen name. so what does he need to use to chisiel his work and fix it? I think he is just basically screwed. i'll ask him to send me some pics. i'm sure we'd get a kick out of it.

Swifty

Kristi
03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
ok, gotta question....why do people shave things on their cars? just curious - i just don't know (kinda ignorant about cars). i have seen a couple people that have it done and it looks weird to me and i just don't understand it. like one of my sis's ex's had a cavalier and he shaved the door handles.....but the little 'pop' system he had to make the doors open never worked right - so he was lucky if he could get into his car....just curious. i would like to get some 'car guys' point of view.

Kevykev
03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
ok, gotta question....why do people shave things on their cars? just curious .

several reasons why:

to obtain more of a Sleek, Elegant look..

to be different (if that's still possible)

lets see what else..... Extra points on judging.

so on and so forth...

Jimmy B
03-08-2005, 10:21 AM
its a big custom thing to do, very clean lines on a car/truck, with no extra stuff on it... ie: door handles, trim, molding, rain gutters.. etc..

teh poppers work right, IF you install them right..

SwiftGTiRacer
03-08-2005, 10:31 AM
i have my side moldings, side skirts, windshield washers, intenna, and emblems shaved. The reason i did it was for that sleek clean look. I don't like lines in the body. Its all about personal taste i guess.

Swifty