PDA

View Full Version : 300zx engine swap

JKNOUSE
06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
alright i got a 93 300zx n/a with the vg30de engine and i want to swap it out for the tt the vg30dett. one of my questions is can i use the vg30de ecu or what. i no that i will hafe to get down pipes, an intercooler, and tubing and a harness(or can i use the vg30de's harness i never swaped an engine so i dunno)
also i wanna run the vg30dett throw an intercooler(spelling) but i cant find any that are for tt engines besides on ebay and i dont like ebay very much.
i hope to have the funds to do the swap soon(before summer is out) but that all depends on price.
any help great thx.
also how much do u think it would cost to pay for the engine swap by a mechanic

Annihilation
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I can get you the WHOLE front CLIP so you can just swap everything out that you need...why go through the hassle of pieceing shit together JDM frotn clip...let me know..you get EVerything you need even tranny

BigPoppaHurtm
06-12-2006, 03:11 AM
To answer your original question: No the vg30de ecu will NOT work with the dett motor. Also its best to get a front clip like annihilaiton has already stated since everything will not only be right there you will also be able to see where its mounted.

Know heres what I think you should do and your not the first 300zx dude Ive said this to:

An Sr20 would be more custom fabrication but worth it imo. Sounds stupid I know but think about it for a second. You'll get a motor that weighs less, has better weight distribution (depends on how its mounted of course), and has just as big if not bigger aftermarket support. You should also remember people are trying to sell more used sr parts than vgdett partts.

There are disadvantages to this though. Your suspension isnt designed for the lighter motor so it wont be as effective anymore without custom coilovers. Custom a/c setups gonna be a bitch (I'd guess). Your gonna need to upgrade the stock motor just to make the same hp the vg did stock.

Also Its probably not worth the effort and money if your not going to take turns with it.If you wanna dragrace and mostly straight line it there will be an advantage with the lighter motor but not worth it. On the other hand if your gonna roadrace/autocross/drift it then the sr would probably make it alot of fun to drive the car.

You can also apply most of this to the rb motors except that they weigh more and the weight distribution wont be as good. Good luck :goodjob: