PDA

View Full Version : 7mgte ups and downs..

Sammich
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
hopefully in a year or so im going to be getting ready to do my 7mgte swap in my 88 toy, im about to some brackets someone fab'd up for his swap. but what i was wanting to know, besides replacing the headgasket, as i hear that is one of the first things to go on the 7mgte, what else should i look into replacing/building up??

im not going to be boosting crazy, but i do know that im going to swap the cam gears from the 7mge, as they produce about 20-30 more hp if im not mistaken

raven97990
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
hopefully in a year or so im going to be getting ready to do my 7mgte swap in my 88 toy, im about to some brackets someone fab'd up for his swap. but what i was wanting to know, besides replacing the headgasket, as i hear that is one of the first things to go on the 7mgte, what else should i look into replacing/building up??

im not going to be boosting crazy, but i do know that im going to swap the cam gears from the 7mge, as they produce about 20-30 more hp if im not mistaken

Cam gears do absolutely nothing for power, they are the same either way. The cams from a NA can produce 15hp, but is generally mostly attributated to wear on the Turbo cams you replace.

Also, once installed, don't be afraid to check your oil, or else you'll develop rod knock, these engines are VERY sensitive to low oil levels. If you are putting it into a truck, lookinto a custom oil pan with larger capacity.

And when you have your headgasket done, don't skimp. Pay the money, get the block decked, have the head decked...

If you have more questions, dont be afraid to research, then ask them again.

cyb593
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
the power steering high pressure line is also know for going on the 7mgte. strong engine thought very quick. i got a 88 turbo. lot of fun. just get the arp bolts it should work better and last longer.

Sammich
06-07-2006, 07:50 AM
sorry i did mean cams, my bad. with the custom oil pan, how many quarts should i look into for the pan to hold? also whats a recommended head gasket??

any suggestions on what PS HP line to use, or just replace it??

raven97990
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
sorry i did mean cams, my bad. with the custom oil pan, how many quarts should i look into for the pan to hold? also whats a recommended head gasket??

any suggestions on what PS HP line to use, or just replace it??

Its not that the High pressure lines "go" Its a 20+ year old rubber part that has seen insane heat cycles, it will fail. If it was going back intoa Supra, I'd just get a Autozone one. $80, lifetime warranty, compared to teh Toyota $400 with one year warranty. I fubared mine and they covered it.

I would get a HKS head gasket, costs the most, but you won't regret it. Stay away from COmetic, and any composite gaskets.

I mentioned a oil pan because it seemed like you wanted to put it in a truck(correct?) which may be offroad, which will have oil getting away from the sump. I would go for As much as you can get, with as much baffleing you can get.

Sammich
06-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Its not that the High pressure lines "go" Its a 20+ year old rubber part that has seen insane heat cycles, it will fail. If it was going back intoa Supra, I'd just get a Autozone one. $80, lifetime warranty, compared to teh Toyota $400 with one year warranty. I fubared mine and they covered it.

I would get a HKS head gasket, costs the most, but you won't regret it. Stay away from COmetic, and any composite gaskets.

I mentioned a oil pan because it seemed like you wanted to put it in a truck(correct?) which may be offroad, which will have oil getting away from the sump. I would go for As much as you can get, with as much baffleing you can get.

o ok cool yea its going in the truck but its DEFINITELY NOT going off road. im in the minitruckin not off roading:goodjob: lol. glad u told me about cometic, i heard their name mentioned didnt know if they were good or not, but i knew HKS was a good name, just didnt know they made head gaskets. the guy thats selling me the kit told me about an oil filter relocation kit..do you know anything about those, and any recommendations??

raven97990
06-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Usinga oil filter relocation kit is a must, get rid of the factory 90 degree adapter, kills oil pressure. Dont know of any specific brands, as I pieced mine togather with what I needed.

Sammich
06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
o ok i appreciate it..since im not getting too much recognition w/ this thread, i might make one for oil filter relocation, thanks again