PDA

View Full Version : GA Emissions Question

Specsteve
06-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Hey guys,

I hope this is the right area for this question...:o

I made a thread a while back about how I am moving to Atlanta later this month. Currently I live in Denver, CO and will be driving my modded 2005 Nissan Sentra Se-r Spec V from Denver to ATL. Well my main concern right now is emissions. My car is an "emissions exempt" vehicle in CO for 4 years, since it is an 05, but I imagine that once I arrive in GA I will have to take it to emissions facility to register it, can anyone confirm this? Also, another concern is I currently have a Check Engine Light due to not having a catalyic converter, I know in some states you automatically fail if you have a check engine light, is this the case in GA? Also, my final question is how strict is GA on emissions? I am a few mods away from having a fully bolted spec v, and was wondering if you guys would have any idea if I would pass or not, luckily, (yet sadly) I have no FI, so I do not think/hope it should be tooo big of an issue.

Any input is really appreciated guys, thank you all for your time, take care!

SampaGuy
06-06-2006, 07:35 AM
"Check Engine" Light - WARNING

If the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light is on, a vehicle WILL NOT pass the inspection. This is an indication of an emission control system problem.

* Your Vehicle Emission Inspection Report (VIR) will list Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that indicate the general area of the emission control systems that do not pass inspection. Along with a diagnostic analysis, DTCs help the technician determine what repairs are necessary. Ask for an estimate and understand what work will be performed prior to authorizing repairs. Also ask if the repairs are covered under warranty.
* The check engine light may illuminate indicating something as minor as a loose fuel cap, or a major emission control component failure.
* If a DTC listed on the VIR indicates a fault with the vehicle's "Evaporative System", try tightening the fuel cap until it clicks, then drive the vehicle for a few days to see if the OBD system turns the light off.
* A transmission code is directly related to the emission control system. A vehicle's on-board computer will illuminate the check engine light if a problem with the transmission is detected. A diagnostic analysis will help identify emission-related components that need repair. A transmission malfunction can indeed prevent a vehicle from running efficiently, therefore increasing emissions.
* If the check engine light remains on, you will need to have the problem properly diagnosed and your vehicle repaired prior to retest. The retest is free if you return to the original inspection station within 30 days.
* Make sure to allow ample driving time after repairs for the vehicle to complete it's drive cycle and the OBD computer to become "Ready" for testing (1-2 weeks, including some highway driving).
* Motorists should beware of offers to turn the "Check Engine" light off in an attempt to pass the OBD test without making repairs. If the light has been turned off without making necessary emission-related repairs, it will come back on and the vehicle will not pass the test. The VIR will read "Fail" for being "Not Ready."
* If the "Check Engine" light is flashing , have your vehicle serviced immediately to avoid COSTLY damage of your vehicle's main emission control component - the catalytic converter.
* Contact your vehicle manufacturer or repair technician and inquire about Recalls, manufacturer applied Extended Warranties, and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) regarding the emission control system (research by your VIN).
* If emission-related repairs happen to exceed $710, you may qualify for a Repair Waiver. Visit a GCAF Waiver Center for assistance.

Typical Check Engine Warning Indicators

owned by obdII, lol

http://www.cleanairforce.com/index.htm

Specsteve
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
FUCCCKKKKKK. That is good to know, I will have to drill a hole and make that 2nd o2 sensor house now, which I might just end up paying a shop to do.

Thanks so much for the info though man, I will have to read up on that website and get my car ready!

KA98S10
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
dont do that.. just buy an o2 sim.. disconnect the rear o2 and plug it in. bye bye check engine light! you can get them here https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=nissan for the nissan

hope this helps you

Specsteve
06-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks so much KA!

Thats great to hear, I would def rather buy another o2 and just swap it instead of having to pull out the ol' drill.

Thanks for the feedback guys!