PDA

View Full Version : balance shaft removal for 2003 specV

bdydrpdmazda
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
how hard is the install for the balance shaft removal kit on the 03 spec. Ive looked at the istall pics on the jwt website but ive heard mixed reactions on www.b15sentra.net (http://www.b15sentra.net) .

Sentra
06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
VERY VERY HARD. But If you want...I know someone at Nissan who can just cut the chain, withouth removing anything, For half the price. Did it to my car...let me know....
I also have 2" Lowering springs for sale if you want.

bdydrpdmazda
06-06-2006, 06:59 AM
yeah the pics made it look hard, so if you just cut the chain do you still need the removal kit or anything else?

Sentra
06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
No. The removal kit just gets everything else out for wieght, even though its not that heavy. I would not buy the kit, it is cheap, but hard.

bdydrpdmazda
06-06-2006, 07:03 AM
I already have it, ive heard that it makes a huge differance to remove that shit and it was only 80 bucks

Sentra
06-06-2006, 07:10 AM
In a shop it would be hard. At home...even harder. But paying someone to do it would be pricey...so thats all up to you...you should meet up with me and a few others with spec Vs.

bdydrpdmazda
06-06-2006, 07:14 AM
where do you guys live or hang out alot at, im in iraq right now but ill be back next month and ill be getting out of the army in oct

SpecV_Scott
06-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I did the BSR in my garage a couple years ago. It was a huge PITA. The worst part was having oil drip on you the whole time you're under the car wrestling with the friggin balance shaft assembly. I would say it took about 8 hours for the whole job. Yeah, 8 fuckin hours. I've heard of some people doing it in only 2 hours, but that's MAYBE if they've done it before and were lucky. It's also really tricky to insert the windage tray/spacers back up into the engine.

The results? I barely noticed any additional power. 8hp just isn't a big deal. I DID notice a lot more noise and vibration. My car was significantly louder. Now, it's not WAY loud. My car was EXTREMELY quiet before the swap (thanks to the AEBS header), and now, it's slightly more aggressive sounding. The vibration is not a big deal either, it's mostly felt around 3000-3500rpms. No big deal.

In a nutshell, I'm glad I did it. On paper, it makes total sense. 8hp, longer engine life, 1 more quart of oil capacity, windage tray, $90. The install sucked, but if you're confident in your abilities and patience, go for it.

bdydrpdmazda
06-13-2006, 03:55 AM
sweet, just the kind of answer I was looking for with pros and cons, I guess Ill really find out what a pain it is when I get under the car start on it, I guess if I have too many problems Ill get on here and try to find someone to come and help me finish the job.

Big J
06-13-2006, 06:01 AM
VERY VERY HARD. But If you want...I know someone at Nissan who can just cut the chain, withouth removing anything, For half the price. Did it to my car...let me know....
I also have 2" Lowering springs for sale if you want.

How much for the springs, what brand?

Sentra
06-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Im sorry. No longer for sale.