PDA

View Full Version : Turbos PSI VS. CFM

Nemesis
05-31-2006, 07:10 AM
I had this argument with someone last night over AIM, and I just thought id post this here as well....

turbo's dont "put out" PSI. They flow CFM. PSI is a measurement of a characteristic of air. There's this facination with psi and most completely disregard CFM. 15psi on what?.....a T2 or a T78. One wouldn't do jack for your motor while the other would jack it up and have you cleaning up chunks of metal.

www.howstuffworks.com

they have a turbo section.

Go read it.

Halfwit
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
ummm, ok.

Nemesis
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
ummm, ok.

^ It flew over your head didnt it.

Halfwit
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
i want to seea race between a cfm car and a psi car..

itll be pizzimp

Nemesis
05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
i want to seea race between a cfm car and a psi car..

itll be pizzimp

.....hmmm

Jaimecbr900
05-31-2006, 10:21 AM
In reality, this is actually a good informative post. Many people don't understand "flow" and "volume" but always want more PSI.... :rolleyes:

This is where efficiency ranges and tuning make a big difference.

Great post George. :goodjob:

trythefly
05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
good post.

CFM or cubic feet per minute is the most common unit I deal with on a daily basis designing HVAC systems.

Most people have no fucking clue what CFM's are.

Jaimecbr900
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
^^^I don't think it's as much that people don't know what CFM is, but more like they don't know how it affects power output.

Like George mentioned, if you take a BIG turbo @ 10 psi and compare it to a little tiny stock turbo @ 10 psi, they very rarely put out the same power. Why? Lots of reasons, but first is probably the amount of air one moves vs the other. Both may be at 10 psi, but the bigger turbo flows more air (volume wise) and therefore usually has the potential for more power overall. Also the efficiency range is quite different. A big turbo @ 10 psi may not even be breaking a sweat, whereas a tiny turbo could be close to being maxed out @ 10 psi and is really pumping nothing but hot air.

Please don't flame me on the numbers as they are stricly hypothetical.

Nemesis
05-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Jamie LOL

Im glad some liked my post :lmao:

Big Baller
05-31-2006, 01:19 PM
George I dont post tech stuff on this board for a reason.

The reason

PEOPLE DONT FUCKING GET IT

Speedm0(\)key
05-31-2006, 01:34 PM
^^^I don't think it's as much that people don't know what CFM is, but more like they don't know how it affects power output.

Like George mentioned, if you take a BIG turbo @ 10 psi and compare it to a little tiny stock turbo @ 10 psi, they very rarely put out the same power. Why? Lots of reasons, but first is probably the amount of air one moves vs the other. Both may be at 10 psi, but the bigger turbo flows more air (volume wise) and therefore usually has the potential for more power overall. Also the efficiency range is quite different. A big turbo @ 10 psi may not even be breaking a sweat, whereas a tiny turbo could be close to being maxed out @ 10 psi and is really pumping nothing but hot air.

Please don't flame me on the numbers as they are stricly hypothetical.

well.. you said what i was about to say.. bastard! lol

anyway.. jaime is pretty much right

good post George.. you should try posting stuff like ethis out of the whoreslounge though.. for more views and responses.

Jaimecbr900
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
well.. you said what i was about to say.. bastard! lol

They say great minds do think alike.......you ho! :D

anyway.. jaime is pretty much right

"Pretty much"????? :2up: I tried to keep it very simple like to start off with you techy bastage...... :D

1439/2000
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
The people on IA that this applies to already know it. The people that don't know it, will continue to put t70 ebay turbos on there b16s and make 4 pounds of boost.

Speedm0(\)key
05-31-2006, 03:09 PM
The people on IA that this applies to already know it. The people that don't know it, will continue to put t70 ebay turbos on there b16s and make 4 pounds of boost.

EL OH EL

Speedm0(\)key
05-31-2006, 03:09 PM
They say great minds do think alike.......you ho! :D

"Pretty much"????? :2up: I tried to keep it very simple like to start off with you techy bastage...... :D

lol bastage lol. :lmao: