PDA

View Full Version : Misc Christianity and Judaism... Differences

The Ren
05-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Alot of people ask me what is the difference between judaism and christianity.. specially the ladies I work with since they are all practicing christians..

The main differences between christianity and judaism are:

-Jewish people Believe that jesus was a profit and not the son of god..
-Christians believe jesus was the son of god

-Jewish people believe the savior/messiah has not come
-christians believe jesus (the savior) has come and will return

-Judaism is based around the old testament
-Christianity is based on the bible (Both the old and new testament)

Judaism is more about actions rather then things, more about the way you live your life and why you live it that way.. What makes you follow the halacha(the rule of thumb sort of speak). The cosmological questions are left wide open in Judaism to personal opinion.

As far as all the kabbalah talk lately... In the jewish religion.. Kabbalah is sacred and shall only be taught to those who have been learnt and who have taken judaism as not only their religion but their way of life.. their being. Most of the time.. unless being a rabbi, woman arnt even introduced into kabbalah.
You Will find many rabbi's and chasidic jews are very eager to learn kabbalah and take it very seriously..

**Edit** I took out the timeline since it seems to have caused alot of confusion **

If you look at the two religons as a whole.. its mostly one in the same..since christianity evolved from Judaism., as far as basic principles

Both believe in the 10 commandments

Both believe that the jews are the "chosen" people (as jesus was a jew)..

Both believe there is one god.. and only one god..

As far as me personally... I am a bas-cohen(bas- woman). Meaning one of the higher standards of the jewish religon. My Grandfather is a cantor/rabbi on my dads side. My cousin is also training to be a rabbi. Another one of my cousins lives in isreal with his wife and 2 sons.. and almost all of my family go every 3-5 years to isreal to learn... so as you can see I come from a very orthodox family...and yes I have been to isreal.

Anyways enough is enough.. just thought I would give some insite..

AtifSajid
05-26-2006, 07:46 AM
The 3 major religions have all "basics" in common. But beyond that are VERY different. Thats where facts need to be found and Theories thrown out.

And facts arent asking your homeboy who practices. You have to go beyond that and do some real research.

Hey Ren.
This you posted...can you explain..

This is sort of the timeline of the two religons (A better way to kind of understand the difference of the two)

Judaism-----------**Christ**-------------Christianity

Are you saying that Judaism came before Jesus?

The Ren
05-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Are you saying that Judaism came before Jesus?

No but that is how it is precieved.. The jewish religon never gets into the "death of jesus" they way christians do as again we dont believe jesus is the son of god.. to us he was a prophet.. and not even the most important one as that was moses.. its just a way for people to kind of understand where it comes from.. as is jewish people use the old testament and christians use the new testament which was revised after the "death of jesus"

The Ren
05-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Does that make a bit more sense?

This website is what I refer most people to if they are curious to learn anything about judasim.. it is an awesome website and gives ALOT of info
http://www.jewfaq.org/toc.htm

metalman
05-26-2006, 08:09 AM
-Judaism is based around the old testament
-Christianity is based ont he new testament

Thanks for the insight into Judaism.

I will say this however, Christianity is not based on the new testament, its based upon the entire Bible. But more specificly one could say its based on the example of Christ....Christian = Christ like...at least thats the object and intention. And Christs example was that the ENTIRE Word of God was to be followed in principle, not just the new testament. That notion has been "added" by some denominations who follow only certain books of the Bible and disregard others. True Christianity, following the example of Christ, does not teach that.

Thanks again for the Jewish insights. I grew up with Jews and Catholics so I am familiar with both to a certain degree. :)

The Ren
05-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the insight into Judaism.

I will say this however, Christianity is not based on the new testament, its based upon the entire Bible. But more specificly one could say its based on the example of Christ....Christian = Christ like...at least thats the object and intention. And Christs example was that the ENTIRE Word of God was to be followed in principle, not just the new testament. That notion has been "added" by some denominations who follow only certain books of the Bible and disregard others. True Christianity, following the example of Christ, does not teach that.

Thanks again for the Jewish insights. I grew up with Jews and Catholics so I am familiar with both to a certain degree. :)

The new testament is the old and new combined- the bible.. hence what i ment by that.. The jews follow ONLY the old testament... thank you for the correction I shall change that in my first post..

metalman
05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Both believe in the 10 commandments

Both believe in them that they exist and were written etc but Jews tend to adhere to all 10....which I commend. :goodjob: Most so called Christian churches only follow 8 or 9 and almost never follow the 4th commandment. They edit it to suit their traditions which are primarily based in sun worship.

For example, the catholic bible has been edited so that there is no commandment against making idols or bowing to them. Another commandment has been split into two to facilitate this. The Sabbath commandment has also been edited so that the specific day and meaning is not identified.

Again interesting subject and thanks for sharing about yourself and beliefs.

The Ren
05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Both believe in them that they exist and were written etc but Jews tend to adhere to all 10....which I commend. :goodjob: Most so called Christian churches only follow 8 or 9 and almost never follow the 4th commandment. They edit it to suit their traditions which are primarily based in sun worship.

For example, the catholic bible has been edited so that there is no commandment against making idols or bowing to them. Another commandment has been split into two to facilitate this. The Sabbath commandment has also been edited so that the specific day and meaning is not identified.

Again interesting subject and thanks for sharing about yourself and beliefs.

Its amazing how things get "edited" to suit peoples needs and wants... again I dont know alot about christianity.. but I do know alot about my religon and do believe and try to adhere to the 10 commandments..

Edit: what I relay about christianity is what i have been relayed about it...