PDA

View Full Version : buying a lap top on ebay?

auxiliary
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
I was looking at ebay and they seem to have a lot of good "deals" on lap tops, but I am also aware that you have to watch out for scams.

I was wondering if anyone has bought a laptop on ebay, if they have their user name, and what kind of things you looked for while trying buy from them.

Nemesis
05-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Id watch out , unless its from a wholesaler. Most stolen laptops are sold on ebay. However, if you purchase one locally at a retail store, warranty plans (which I highly reccommend) can be purchased. I bought probably 4 laptops in the past 6 years, and have used the warranty at least once or twice for each laptop for dumb reasons, and even paid for a worn out lcd. They pay for themselves a lot of times in my opinion.

RandomGuy
05-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Id watch out , unless its from a wholesaler. Most stolen laptops are sold on ebay. However, if you purchase one locally at a retail store, warranty plans (which I highly reccommend) can be purchased. I bought probably 4 laptops in the past 6 years, and have used the warranty at least once or twice for each laptop for dumb reasons, and even paid for a worn out lcd. They pay for themselves a lot of times in my opinion.
you're best buy employee material... LOLOL hahah selling him a service plan ahahha!

but anyways FUCK BEST BUY :2up:

babygurl
05-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Talk to Atif...or order straight from Dell or Compaq..But you can trust Atif...he is the whitest brown person I know! HAHAHA

Stormhammer
05-26-2006, 07:57 AM
i got my toshiba on ebay

but just keep in mind there's no warranty

AtifSajid
05-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Best thing to do is ask for the serial number. If they are willing to give you the serial number, then you are good. On another note, you can find out about laptops that are stolen this way..HP, Compaq, and IBM laptops are still warrantied even if they are stolen and under warranty. Dell's as far as I know are the only laptops that can give you problem if you bought one that is stolen and you tried to call it in for warranty repair.
But just find someone that has a lot of feedback and read there feedback and what items they sold and what the feedback reply was.
I'll be honest with you, if the price is to good to be true, then either its an Out of Box sale, refurb, or stolen. Just ask for the serial number. If the seller is willing to give it without question then its legit.
I give me serials out in an instant. Gives the buyer a lot more confidence on buying your item.

ShooterMcGavin
05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
check feedback of the seller, that's something u should always do anyway. other than that, dell is almost ALWAYS running specials on laptops so u can always keep an eye out for them.

RandomGuy
05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
ebay isn't good when it comes to that... think about it... how many hours will you spend on this laptop... how much time til u replace it... its gonna be a while right... might as well get something worth it... something legit ya know ;)

100% new, etc.

ShooterMcGavin
05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
u can buy new laptops on ebay just the same?

RandomGuy
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
u can buy new laptops on ebay just the same?
sure you can... but its ebay... why take the risk...say its stolen, broken... etc something requiring a refund or exchange... what can you do?

ShooterMcGavin
05-26-2006, 08:57 AM
once again, that's why i said check the feedback, there are many wholesalers on ebay that all they do is just sell certain things. many also provide returns, exchanges and such. not saying there won't be hassle if something went wrong, but if there's a huge price difference i could see someone wanting to buy from ebay.

SixSquared
05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
buy my laptop cheap, put a new HD in, and go on with life ^_^

v3rd1g0
05-26-2006, 11:23 AM
i'm with the person that said get a service plan on it. think about it like this: 3 year plan or so on a laptop. use it through that 3 years then just b4 the plan is up "accidently" drop it off your desk and have the lcd fall off... (make sure all your stuff is backed up). take it in for service. hard to fix an lcd, they'll probably give you a whole new laptop. there ya go. set for a good many more years. figure in 6 more years you'll be getting a new laptop anyways b/c of that one being out dated.... idk if this made sense i'm half here right now but yeah...

Wurm
05-26-2006, 11:26 AM
It is stupid to spend 1500 bucks on a laptop and not spend 200 more bucks on a warranty with complete care...... Get a three year warranty and three year complete care. In 2 and a half years drop it and break it. Instant Trade-In Program