PDA

View Full Version : Salvage title bikes?

wannab20hatch
03-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Anyone know of any websites or places in georgia that sell salvage titled motorcycles? I want a bike really bad but i dont want a brand new bike as my first bike.

chuck
03-08-2005, 06:31 AM
just go to the cycle trader/ebay and when searching throw in the they key word salvage...just make sure you don't buy something with a certificate of destriction, there would be nothing you could do with that. there is actually a fairly big place in either south or north carolina that does a lot of salvage bike work, i know a couple of the people on this forum have bought bikes from them.

Jaimecbr900
03-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Question? Why would you want to buy a previously totalled bike as your first bike? Money?

If it's money, there are plenty of other options to buy a decent used bike at a reasonable price.

You may have to eat a salvaged bike later on down the road, so think about that too.

wannab20hatch
03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I just want a salvaged bike as my first just for the simple fact of putting it down. Everyone ive talked to with a bike says that no matter what youll put it down at sometime. And id rather drop a 3K dollar bike with primered fairings and a slighty scratched frame than say a 7-8K dollar off the showroom bike. I want a slighty wrecked bike ive seen good ones before just never had the balls to buy it. And now one of my firends works for a cycle shop so parts would be super cheap.

chuck
03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I think what Jaime is saying is why not get just a cheap bike that is a little older instead of a crashed one that is new...my first bike was a 92 Katana that cost me $2200 bucks, when i was done with it I sold it for $2200 and bought a 2002 Yamaha for $4100...you can get bikes at good prices if you just look around.

HiPSI
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
jaime is very right... don't waste your time with salvaged bikes, they will most likely be more of a headache than you want to deal with and will cost you more in the long run than just getting an inexpensive used bike in decent condition. take the suzuki SV650 as an example, fun bike, quick, v-twin grunt and dirt cheap to own :D. no body panels to screw up, just throw some frame sliders on it and ride out. once you outgrow it (if ever) just sell it for almost the same as you bought it for and step up.

another thing to consider is even experienced riders crash, it's just part of the game so budget yourself a good chunk of cash for some proper riding gear.

wannab20hatch
03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Funny you mention the sv650 its what ive been looking at. 2 of my friends have them and absolutely love them. Excapt they have the S model. And for riding gear i cant go anywhere without it. With my tickets and such i cant afford insurance so my dad is gonna put it in his name with full coverage but hell only do that if i ride everywhere with the proper gear on. No running to the store in a pair of shorts,shirt and a helmet as he puts it.

chuck
03-08-2005, 04:03 PM
that's good, you don't need to run anywhere in shorts...not that you would mess up and crash but there are just too many idiots around here.

my buddy from work just "ran up the road" to play tennis with a friend, he was wearing tennis atire and a helmet, on his way back (on his SV650-S...lol) some stupid fuckass in an oncoming SUV decided to cut through a little bit of his lane when he was coming around a corner, he was lucky to be carried away in one piece and after a trip to the hospital and a couple months worth of plastic surgery and rehab visits he he is about half way back to normal.

i went back to the accident scene later that day to pick up his bike, the whole front rim was gone, this is the biggest piece of it we could find (sitting on a CD)...he was only doing about 30 mph!!!

http://www.freepixhosting.com/uploadedfiles/P3080763.JPG

David88vert
03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
First off, If you are not a licensed rebuilder, you can forget about a salvage titled bike. You won't be able to get it inspected and tagged. It would only be usable as a track or stunt bike.

4bangin
03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
David is right. You now have to be a licensed rebuilder in order to get a salvaged bike inspected.

Anyway, I have owned quite a few salvaged bikes and never had any problems. My first bike was a salvaged 2001 R6. I loved it. I never bought bikes that needed frame, fork, wheel or motor work. Too much of a headache. Quicktime and West Myrtle Cycles in SC dealt with alot of salvaged bikes. Not sure if they still do. Or Verastar but theirs are usually trashed.

chuck
03-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Quicktime is the place i was talking about, they are still on cycle trader...

Jaimecbr900
03-08-2005, 09:12 PM
That's exactly what I was saying. Several good bikes are available for a couple of thousand easily. EX/Ninja 500 is another good choice. Sporty, light, has a little kick, bulletproof motor, and you can get one for dirt cheap. I still have my first one and just got my little brother one.

rickgiblin
03-12-2005, 01:57 PM
i got a 2004 suzuki gsxr 600 thats wrecked but i got all the peices to rebuild it asking 3700 but it comes with no title

speedminded
03-12-2005, 03:29 PM
over in conyers is a place, i can't remember the name though... :P

i bought my '99 Triumph Daytona 955i w/ 5k miles from them for $3,600..that was in '01 and the book was over $10k on it...the damage was minimal: broken shifter and missing a mirror, left side panel, and belly pan. The guy that originally owned it knew someone at the dealer so they priced every little hairline scratch and got it salvaged. I ended up meeting him in dahlonega out of the blue one day 1 year after it was dropped by his roomate, he had a new daytona and i was talking with his gf at wal-mart and she was telling me about the bikes and about her bf's old bike...and every detail she said about it was identical to mine....how many miles again? where was the damage? I'm like walk with me over to the otherside of the parking lot i have something to show you....she's like holy shit, it's his bike! Few minutes later he came out and was like my god, wtf?! When I bought the bike it had a brand new factory pipe on it...the seller told me it had a two brothers slipon before but the original owner took it off... So i asked him about it and he pointed to his new blue daytona..."you mean that pipe?" Bastard :D

...back then anyone could get a bike inspected though.

r6slayer
03-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Sup Peeps. If you want good bikes, some with salvage titles, some with good titles, go to www.wera.com. This is the AMA club racing site. Racers everywhere sell there used racebikes on this site. Everything is legit and is where I will go to get my next stuntbike. I'm talkin NEW racebikes for under $4K. Check it out. BUY ANYTHING AS LONG AS ITS A GIXXER!!! lol

r6slayer
03-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I have had BAD experiences with CYCLETRADER.com DO NOt USE IT. I nearly got scammed into buying an 03 GSXR 1000 for $4000. The same guy has scammed several people, even heard of one guy getting scammed for a twin turbo supra. The magazine is ok, but buying on cycletrader.com is a very bad idea. Ive done the research on it and if i could i would report these guys to the FBI but they are careful and you can't track them down.
Just my 2 cents to help my fellow bike enthusiasts.

BUY ANYTHING AS LONG AS ITS A GIXXER!!!

HiPSI
03-13-2005, 08:56 AM
I have had BAD experiences with CYCLETRADER.com DO NOt USE IT. I nearly got scammed into buying an 03 GSXR 1000 for $4000. The same guy has scammed several people, even heard of one guy getting scammed for a twin turbo supra. The magazine is ok, but buying on cycletrader.com is a very bad idea. Ive done the research on it and if i could i would report these guys to the FBI but they are careful and you can't track them down.
Just my 2 cents to help my fellow bike enthusiasts.

BUY ANYTHING AS LONG AS ITS A GIXXER!!!

you honestly believed someone was selling an 03 gsxr1000 for $4000 and it wasn't wrecked to hell? that scam has been around longer than dirt, not hard to catch it. if the price is too good to be true it probably is ;). how about only buy a bike you can see in person?

and yes, buy a gixxer like everyone else!

HiPSI
03-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Sup Peeps. If you want good bikes, some with salvage titles, some with good titles, go to www.wera.com. This is the AMA club racing site. Racers everywhere sell there used racebikes on this site. Everything is legit and is where I will go to get my next stuntbike. I'm talkin NEW racebikes for under $4K. Check it out. BUY ANYTHING AS LONG AS ITS A GIXXER!!! lol

honestly half the racebikes you find in wera are stolen bikes... they buy them at crackhead prices, prep them for the track, ride them a few seasons and then sell them for what they have in them. most don't even have titles to the bikes.

FrnkPwrs
03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
LOL, that cycletrader scam is old as shit. Its not cycletraders fault, its the fault of the people actually listing the ads. When I sold my aprilia on eBay, some guy emailed me because they said they seen my exact listing on some msg board being sold by some guy in germany, and he thought I was ripping people off! I sent him a pic with me, in front of the bike, in front of my house that was in the original pictures, with the current days newspaper. There are so many bike scams. I cant see the point of buying a bike with no title. COnfuses the hell out of me.

But sometimes you can get a good deal on salvage bikes. With so many parts available on eBay, and you bein able to get 2 salvage bikes hit in oppopsite prices for a decent price if you look hard, its not that bad. I guess the deal is really in if you have the time to go running aroud looking for parts and doing body work.