PDA

View Full Version : Misc Atheists holiday question.

1439/2000
05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Do you guys give gifts for Christmas?

Why or why not?

4dmin
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
are you looking for Atheists to answer or anyone who isn't christian?

Decker1.8t
05-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm Agnostic (which isn't atheist, but they're compatible) and yes I exchange gifts and celebrate on December 25th.

Hulud
05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
so do i

Decker1.8t
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I suppose we should ask why Christians exchange gifts ... considering the fact that the actual celebrating (gifts, parties, mistletoe, etc.) has pagan roots.

Hulud
05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I suppose we should ask why Christians exchange gifts ... considering the fact that the actual celebrating (gifts, parties, mistletoe, etc.) has pagan roots.
:goodjob:

4dmin
05-25-2006, 01:04 PM

x2 :goodjob:

SNapper
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
i'm atheist and yes. cuz it's fun

noodle
05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I have several friends who are Jehovah Witnesses. NO Chirstmas, No birthdays.
But you can bet your arse that they give their wife something on their wedding anniversary. :eek:

4dmin
05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I have several friends who are Jehovah Witnesses. NO Chirstmas, No birthdays.
But you can bet your arse that they give their wife something on their wedding anniversary. :eek:

lol... we need a whole forum to discuss the JW... my dad's whole family is and many are elders i will never understand some of the shit they do :goodjob:

SNapper
05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
lol... we need a whole forum to discuss the JW... my dad's whole family is and many are elders i will never understand some of the shit they do :goodjob:
i know many joe's hoe's myself. they're fucking crazy. o wait my roomate is one.

1439/2000
05-25-2006, 02:16 PM

Well my question was for atheists as in doesn't believe a God period.

And giving gifts has nothing to do with mistletoe. It's christmas. 3 wise men bringing gifts, parties to celebrate the birth of Jesus. That's where that comes from you know.

4dmin
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Well my question was for atheists as in doesn't believe a God period.

And giving gifts has nothing to do with mistletoe. It's christmas. 3 wise men bringing gifts, parties to celebrate the birth of Jesus. That's where that comes from you know.

actually the romans started Saturnalia which was a pagan holiday which ended on the 25th, christians later took over the holiday as the birth of their savior.

1439/2000
05-25-2006, 02:32 PM
actually the romans started Saturnalia which was a pagan holiday which ended on the 25th, christians later took over the holiday as the birth of their savior.

I understand where the day comes from. I know it was already a holiday.

I realize that.

The question is:

ahem.....

Do you give gifts? The reason they give gifts is to celebrate the birth as did the 3 wise men in the bible.

biblethumper
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree. The reason for us exchanging gifts is b/c the 3 wise Men brought gifts. But some Christians have gone overboard. They need to remember the "reason" for Christmas which is the birth of Jesus not the gifts.

4dmin
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I understand where the day comes from. I know it was already a holiday.

I realize that.

The question is:

ahem.....

Do you give gifts? The reason they give gifts is to celebrate the birth as did the 3 wise men in the bible.

this is a dumb question and i'll tell you why....

many would like us to believe that this holiday is for religious reasons... it is not. its is so far from christian its retarded. the entire season should be called the SEASON FOR SINNING... xmas is about corp/personl greed you exchange/recieve gifts which $ value are 100% more important then the religious aspect of it. if it was religious you would be offering nothing but gifts to god :goodjob:

its is a pagan holiday turn christian holiday, only reason why is b/c it was a way to try to conform pagans... you, i, and the 99.9% of everyone else celebrates it b/c your family/friends did and you shall inherit those customs.

xmas isn't just a holiday for christians and to say that is the reason for it is just blinding the truth w/ words.

biblethumper
05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Paul you have a point. Which is why I said that Christians need to remember the real reason that "we" celebrate the holiday. Celebrate Jesus' birth first then if you want to exchange gifts do so.

~The_Duke~
05-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Paul you have a point. Which is why I said that Christians need to remember the real reason that "we" celebrate the holiday. Celebrate Jesus' birth first then if you want to exchange gifts do so.

But it has also been proven that the date that christmas is on isnt actually his birthday...It is celebrated by alot of non-believers just because it is a tradition that has been grided into us since day 1.

1439/2000
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
this is a dumb question and i'll tell you why....

many would like us to believe that this holiday is for religious reasons... it is not. its is so far from christian its retarded. the entire season should be called the SEASON FOR SINNING... xmas is about corp/personl greed you exchange/recieve gifts which $ value are 100% more important then the religious aspect of it. if it was religious you would be offering nothing but gifts to god :goodjob:

its is a pagan holiday turn christian holiday, only reason why is b/c it was a way to try to conform pagans... you, i, and the 99.9% of everyone else celebrates it b/c your family/friends did and you shall inherit those customs.

xmas isn't just a holiday for christians and to say that is the reason for it is just blinding the truth w/ words.

It's not a "dumb" question and giving gifts isnt all just corporate whatever. Its a tradition in my family and so is going to church every Christmas too to celebrate what the season is really about. I'm sure there are other Christians that also do that stuff. You can't stereotype all Christians just like you cant stereotype other religions.

4dmin
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Christmas too to celebrate what the season is really about. I'm sure there are other Christians that also do that stuff.

but see that is your flaw it wasn't/isn't a christian holiday... as i stated before it was a chance for the church to change a pagan holiday to suit their needs. :goodjob:

so you are still worshiping a pagan holiday like it or not... that is the fact. which is fine its a tradition thing, leave it at that... just like turkey on thanksgiving. its tradition. do i think you celebrate b/c your excited about the death of the indians? no its tradition for family to get together. as i said before if it was a christian holiday then non christians wouldn't celebrate it and it wouldn't be about greed.

metalman
05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
but see that is your flaw it wasn't/isn't a christian holiday... as i stated before it was a chance for the church to change a pagan holiday to suit their needs. :goodjob:

Lets make this even clearer...the roman catholic church is the one in question here. Sadly, most so called protestant churchs blindly follow right along in this "adopted/baptised" pagan ritual which is primarily based on the roman feast of saturnalia...and a few other pagan sun worship customs.

I'll go a step further...some say to put Jesus back into Christmas...thats impossible, He was never in it to begin with. :goodjob:

Even the title should be telling... Christ - Mass....the Mass for Christ.
Interesting, the mass is a blasphemous adopted pagan ritual that pretends to show that a sinful earthly priest has "god-like" power to "command" and make the actual dead body of Christ appear on the altar...among other things.

Was that clear enough?

4dmin
05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Lets make this even clearer...the roman catholic church is the one in question here. Sadly, most so called protestant churchs blindly follow right along in this "adopted/baptised" pagan ritual which is primarily based on the roman feast of saturnalia...and a few other pagan sun worship customs.

I'll go a step further...some say to put Jesus back into Christmas...thats impossible, He was never in it to begin with. :goodjob:

Even the title should be telling... Christ - Mass....the Mass for Christ.
Interesting, the mass is a blasphemous adopted pagan ritual that pretends to show that a sinful earthly priest has "god-like" power to "command" and make the actual dead body of Christ appear on the altar...among other things.

Was that clear enough?

ok so now we all know you obviously know the origin of it do you take part in xmas?

metalman
05-26-2006, 09:11 AM
No. It is not a "holiday" to me. (Holiday=Holy-Day)
It is only an American tradition of family and giving to others...to me...neither of those things is out of context with Christian principles but in harmony with them.

4dmin
05-26-2006, 09:16 AM
It is only an American tradition of family and giving to others...to me...neither of those things is out of context with Christian principles but in harmony with them.

well since you dont' celebrate it i guess your off my fruitcake list :goodjob: h8ter

metalman
05-26-2006, 09:25 AM
well since you dont' celebrate it i guess your off my fruitcake list :goodjob: h8ter

Thats funny because with some of the baseless nonsense youve been posting lately youre on mine! :D LOL

4dmin
05-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Thats funny because with some of the baseless nonsense youve been posting lately youre on mine! :D LOL

i thought you dont' celebrate xmas, yet you have a fruitcake list or was that post to save face? sorry i didn't catch any undertones in your post b/c i'm not on your level :goodjob:

biblethumper
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
+20 Paul

1439/2000
05-26-2006, 03:26 PM

so you are still worshiping a pagan holiday like it or not... that is the fact. which is fine its a tradition thing, leave it at that... just like turkey on thanksgiving. its tradition. do i think you celebrate b/c your excited about the death of the indians? no its tradition for family to get together. as i said before if it was a christian holiday then non christians wouldn't celebrate it and it wouldn't be about greed.

No, we would be celebrating the birth of Christ which was conveniantly placed on that day since noone knew the exact date. Its a celebration of an event not a date.

1439/2000
05-26-2006, 03:29 PM

Oh really? Pretty sure it's worldwide for Christendom. What about the little dutch kids that get candy in their wooden shoes? O tannenbaum, O tannenbaum? Fur die Deutsch est ist ein lieblingstag.

4dmin
05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
No, we would be celebrating the birth of Christ which was conveniantly placed on that day since noone knew the exact date. Its a celebration of an event not a date.

right, it was convieniantly placed on that day.. its not a pagan holiday your right. sorry man but you guys are too much... ya i'm vegan; i convieniantly eat beef, fish, pork. they happen to call those things meat but i know they are veggies :goodjob:

metalman
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM

Celebrate whatever you want. Thats your choice.

It was "conveniently" placed upon that day by the vatican because Dec 25 was the birthday of the roman sun god Tammuz.

I am neither roman, roman catholic, or a sun worshiper so it's meaningless to me. Even the Bible mentions decorating a tree in gold and silver...and does so in the context of idolotry/pagan worship.

The "invention" of Christmas is a roman catholic invention based upon pagan feasts. Its true that Germans love Christmas and are largely responsible for bringing it to America...along with Italian catholic immigrants.

The day has become (as others have noted) nothing more then a commercial season to sell goods. It was never about Christ to begin with, it was only the birthday of Tammuz so it matters not.

Romeyo07
05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I see it as a blank slate holiday. Insert your beliefs into that day. Do the roots matter when the celebration is nothing of the original meaning? IMO, no, the roots sure don't matter. That day is what Christians celebrate as the birth of Christ. Not mandatory, but voluntary. The gift exchange is merely tradition stapled onto that celebration. It's simply what you make of it. Non Christians are just going along with what their parents, grandparents, etc...did when they were kids. American tradition to do so, even if it didn't start here in the states.

biblethumper
05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Well said