PDA

View Full Version : Bellsouth DSL

RandomGuy
05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
well i had bellsouth DSL for over fuckin a year in this house. In the kit came one big grey box "filter"... and some other filters (the ones u plug into the wall and then the phone goes into 1 port and the modem goes into the other)

well i only installed the small ones... And it worked, the internet went on, etc so i never installed the other one.

Whenever we get a call at the house, or sum1 hangs up from a call, the internet goes down for like 2 minutes. It usually didnt bother me much, because i'd just wait 2 minutes and get reconnected... But now its pssing me off...

Anyone know how to install this "Grey box"

i think its called PBX splitter? or something Maybe a PBX filter? Its grey has a hold in it... and the instructions said something about it being installed outside... i lost those instructions since then... but anyone have a clue wtf this is?

~The_Duke~
05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I think I have a clue of what it is, but I would need a picture to confirm...and yes I prolly do know how to install it.

RandomGuy
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
pix 4 u

~The_Duke~
05-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok I was really wrong, I have bellsouth DSL and I havent a fucking clue what that thing is...although I could prolly figure it out. Do you still have the instructions...

atlvi3tb0i
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
i never got that when i started dsl 3 years ago

atlvi3tb0i
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
and 91199si i see you in hear bhahaha

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (2 members and 0 guests)
atlvi3tb0i, 91199si+

RandomGuy
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
i dont know what it is but i think it has something to do with why i keep getting disconencted

91199si
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
what the fuck, i have bellsouth dsl, i did not get that gay box.

atlvi3tb0i
05-23-2006, 07:53 PM
meaning you got to rewire your own phone line

Rican219
05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
The gray box sperates the pairs from the street to the house. That is really something a Belltech should install. Usually with Residential wiring the Red and Green pairs are what they use for dailtone. DSL runs at a Higher Frequency on the same lines as the phone calls come in on so the filter you put on inside of the house will filter it out so you can use it. It may be possible that they provided that box to seperate the pairs for issues like your having but I have never seen that done before (normally) Like I said usually a Bell tech will install that because if you go into bell south equipment and tamper with it it is what's called a "tariff violation" which I know in commercial buisnesses is a high fine. Not sure on residential

Rican219
05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I can do it and have the equipment to do it with but just wondering why they sent that to you?

TRINI4LIFE
05-23-2006, 08:02 PM
All of your phone lines has to have the filters on them. Even if you do not have a live line/phone running to it. I had that problem before, I had an extra phone jack in my basement that I forgot about. Check around your house for any extra phone jacks. But I have never seen that box before though.

Crazy Asian
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
You have one hairy arms....but you should have gotten a lil peachish color splitter thats says home and dsl. I have an extra one laying around maybe if i can find one and show you it.

tony
05-23-2006, 08:20 PM
All of your phone lines has to have the filters on them. Even if you do not have a live line/phone running to it. I had that problem before, I had an extra phone jack in my basement that I forgot about. Check around your house for any extra phone jacks. But I have never seen that box before though.

Not true.. if it has equipment connected to it (Fax Machine, Phone, Computer, ANYTHING) then it needs a filter but if nothing is connected then its irrelevant.

The box you posted up Random is what we used a longgggg time ago but we do not use them any more, you can throw it away because its useless. If your DSL is dropping for each call you get either one of your phones are not filtered or if you have an alarm it may be interrupting the service. More than likely from what I've experienced theres a filter that isn't installed if it only happens when the phone rings. Make sure the DSL modem is filtered itself as well.

If its not this you'll probably have to call the help desk and have a tech come out, if you're in the south Atlanta area let me know (although I'm on vacation for the next few days)

Rican219
05-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Not true.. if it has equipment connected to it (Fax Machine, Phone, Computer, ANYTHING) then it needs a filter but if nothing is connected then its irrelevant.

The box you posted up Random is what we used a longgggg time ago but we do not use them any more, you can throw it away because its useless. If your DSL is dropping for each call you get either one of your phones are not filtered or if you have an alarm it may be interrupting the service. More than likely from what I've experienced theres a filter that isn't installed if it only happens when the phone rings. Make sure the DSL modem is filtered itself as well.

If its not this you'll probably have to call the help desk and have a tech come out, if you're in the south Atlanta area let me know (although I'm on vacation for the next few days)

Yep this man knows TECH Support FTW!!

incawarrior
05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Comcast Cable 8mb FTW!!.

I had BellSouth DSL and they tried to charge me to come fix a trouble in their network. :mamoru:

Julio
05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
you better call bellsouth now man! So they can come in the next 2 weeks... worst turn around I have seen.

nightracer
05-23-2006, 11:12 PM

Also he can take the modem and plug it into another phone jack and see if it works correctly. If it works ok in the new jack and doesn't work correctly in the old jack then he needs a BS tech. Cell phones, cordless phones and speakers can interrupt service as well so it basically needs troubleshot.

RandomGuy
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG IM THE BIGGEST DUMBASS EVER

i knew this... but for over a year i completely forgot to put filters on the phones LOL!! HAHAHAHA

i did this in my old house but i didnt do it here!! AHHAHAH i only put the filter on the line from the modem ... AHAHAHAHH OMFG!! thats awesome...

damn i lost the filters I'm gonna try to buy some on ebay or pricewatch... do i HAVE to get them from bellsouth? I heard they rape you

RandomGuy
05-24-2006, 12:44 AM
The gray box sperates the pairs from the street to the house. That is really something a Belltech should install. Usually with Residential wiring the Red and Green pairs are what they use for dailtone. DSL runs at a Higher Frequency on the same lines as the phone calls come in on so the filter you put on inside of the house will filter it out so you can use it. It may be possible that they provided that box to seperate the pairs for issues like your having but I have never seen that done before (normally) Like I said usually a Bell tech will install that because if you go into bell south equipment and tamper with it it is what's called a "tariff violation" which I know in commercial buisnesses is a high fine. Not sure on residential
its wierd... when i moved in... the box was already at the doorstep w/ my name on it... before we even moved our shit in.

they are really quick with that shit, as soon as we transfered our service they sent it out.
So then i pop it open theres abox inside the box... labeled "self-install kit" or something...

had some filters, the modem, some drivers, etc right and that grey box, with instructions...

never_finished
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
haha retard...

you can get all kinds of shit for networking and hooking up dsl here

www.superbuynetworks.com (www.lemonparty.org)

RandomGuy
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
haha retard...

nice! thanks... damn they have some cheap shit too

Wurm
05-24-2006, 02:33 AM
lol ghetto dsl...

Princess12
05-24-2006, 08:52 AM
You need to talk to rickgiblin.... his dad installs the shit.

Brett
05-24-2006, 09:09 AM
lol ghetto dsl...

QD still uses dialup!! HA HA HA HA

TeeJay
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
haha retard...

goddamn u , motherfucker, i actually clicked that link.

ALVIN
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Damn I dont think we ever had to use filters for our Bellsouth...the dude came out and figured out which phone line was the main one in the house first. I dunno why but I think maybe that one got a filter...hell I was too busy going to buy a wireless router since bellsouth didnt provide us with a router just a little plug in for the dsl wire. Either way I dunno what the hell that thing is lol.