PDA

View Full Version : Misc Longtime Dog Owners - I Need Help

Miranda
05-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I have two 6 month old puppies, and I'm starting to have some pretty weird problems with one of them. My little girl, Kaylie, has started pissing rivers in her crate, even when I've let her out and she's only been in for a few minutes. Then she slings her piss all over the place with her flayling paws. :(

I think some of it has to do with the fact that her daddy (my ex) just moved out of my house a month or so ago, and she misses him. If that's not enough, my schedule is an 8 hour nonstop one, so there's no way for me to take her out for that period since the ex is gone.

I love her bunches, but I love my house too..

Any suggestions as to what I should do to discourage this behavior?

~ Miranda

The Ren
05-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Honestly to me it sounds like a UTI.. I would definatly have her checked.. If it turns out not to be a UTI it could be incontinence due to the begining of her period cycle if she is not spayed yet...

Miranda
05-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks. I'll look into that.

The Ren
05-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Anytime.. I work at a vet so I see it all the time... They have good medicine for incontinence/UTI's... one problem: If its renacept it CAN stain your carpet/floors blue.. so if thats what she gets i would line her kennel with news paper... but i dont wanna get ahead of myself.. let me know how it turns out...

brads94accord
05-23-2006, 10:30 AM
i think the 8 hour non stop period of being left alone might have something to do w/ it. if shes a puppy she can't hold it long, also i'm sure she does miss your ex and she is probably feeling some anxiety

The Ren
05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
i think the 8 hour non stop period of being left alone might have something to do w/ it. if shes a puppy she can't hold it long, also i'm sure she does miss your ex and she is probably feeling some anxiety

Doubt it.. Rule of thumb when they are puppys.. how old they are.. they can hold it twice as long... Shes 6 months.. she can hold it for atleast 12 hours...

brads94accord
05-23-2006, 10:48 AM
i was always told its their age in months +1 hour. i read it in a little puppy book i got a few weeks ago when i got my puppy. but i have had dogs in the past so im not new to this and my g/f is a vet-tech

is the puppy crate trained? are you pulling her water? is the crate too big?

if the crate is too big, the puppy will pee in one corner and lay in another.

Miranda
05-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Yes, she's crate trained, and the crate is JUST big enough for her to turn around and lie down in. She literally pees on herself. I think it's probably getting close to time to spay her. Hopefully that will help.

Julio
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
hahah I saw some diapers for dogs at petsmart

The Ren
05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
i was always told its their age in months +1 hour. i read it in a little puppy book i got a few weeks ago when i got my puppy. but i have had dogs in the past so im not new to this and my g/f is a vet-tech

is the puppy crate trained? are you pulling her water? is the crate too big?

if the crate is too big, the puppy will pee in one corner and lay in another.

dude I have been a Vet tech for 5 years and Im going to school for it... I know what im talking about

brads94accord
05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
i find it hard to believe a 6 month old puppy can hold it for 12 hours. i don't know many adult dogs that can hold it for 12 hours at a time.

here's some info i have compiled:

http://www.phsspca.org/training/puppy_crate_training.htm

As a general rule DO NOT GO BACK TO PUPPY UNTIL AT LEAST 3:30 OR 4AM. By then puppy probably will have to go out for real. Puppy bladders and bowels are just not mature enough to hold it much longer than that. However, some puppies simply cannot go longer than 2-3 hours, even at night, without urinating. If the puppy persists in crying and has been crated for at least 2 hours, assume it has to eliminate and take it outside. Keep these sessions short and quiet. Do not socialize with the puppy and once it has eliminated, take it right back inside and crate it again. The EARLY mornings come with puppy territory, like 2am feedings and babies

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/housebreak2.htm

Owners who need to be away from home all day may have a more difficult time housebreaking a puppy. It is unrealistic to expect a puppy to last eight to 10 hours without needing to eliminate, even if it can do so overnight. An 8- to 12-week-old puppy can usually go about two to four hours without needing to eliminate.4 When left alone for longer periods, a puppy may be forced to eliminate in its confinement area or elsewhere in the house. This puppy will learn indoor location and substrate preferences. When leaving a puppy for prolonged periods is unavoidable, the owner must provide an acceptable substrate and elimination location. These can be paper or commercially available housebreaking pads left inside a crate or confinement area. But the puppy must have enough space to sleep away from its waste. When at home, owners using the paper-training technique should frequently take their puppies outdoors to eliminate and should discourage indoor elimination by removing the paper or pads and closely supervising the puppy. As the puppy gains increased bladder and bowel control, the substrate can gradually be eliminated.' Most 7- to 9-month-old puppies can go eight to 10 hours without soiling. But if the owner can arrange for someone to let the puppy out after about four hours, partitioning a large crate to encourage the puppy to wait may be preferable.

http://www.wagntrain.com/Housetraining.htm

a few hours after the last time. As a general rule of thumb, a puppy can go one hour for month-of-age plus one. In other words, a two-month-old puppy can hold his bladder and bowels for 3 hours, a three-month-old for 4 hours, a five-month-old for 6 hours. Many puppies cannot be fully housebroken before they are 6 months old. By that age, they can "hold it" for up to 7 hours

you may have been taught that rule of thumb because everyone learns differently. i'm not trying to be an ass or anything i don't mean to be. just my personal opinion along w/ my g/f's and a lot of other people I have spoken w/ is the puppies age in months plus 1.

MIRANDA: do you have any neighbors who could take the dog out while you are at work? atleast until it gets a little bit older and can control its bladder more. but i would also take it into your personal vet just to get their opinion on the matter.

Miranda
05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks both of you for your input. I have to tend to agree with Ren since my little boy never pees in his crate, and Kaylie went a long time without doing it. This is a very recent thing. I DO think it's behavioral.

Oh.. btw - No, there's no one right now who can take the puppies out. However, I have a roommate moving in the middle of next month who has a completely opposite schedule from me. When he's here, that should help out a great deal.

05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
"Team FUCT will soon belong to ME. " what is this trash you speak of woman......

get a cork and plug the bitch that should help out.....

BTLFED
05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
"Team FUCT will soon belong to ME. " what is this trash you speak of woman......

Hahahaha! I was waiting for someone to catch that LOL!

I personally tend to agree with Ren. That is along the lines of what I was thinking too, but I am not a vet so I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

The Ren
05-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Most puppies.. not all... but i dont know anything.. I mean I have just been doing it for 5 years and I have schooling.. but I dunno what Im talking about...

Miranda
05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Hahaha... Don't take it personally Ren. It's one of those things you just have to deal with from time to time.

And, yes, I will one day have a ginormous sticker on the race kaa that says Team Fuct.

The Ren
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Hahaha... Don't take it personally Ren. It's one of those things you just have to deal with from time to time.

And, yes, I will one day have a ginormous sticker on the race kaa that says Team Fuct.

Seriously though let me know how it turns out... and if your planning on getting her spayed I would recommend going through spay Ga... saves alot of money

The Ren
06-15-2006, 06:10 AM
any word on this?

kittychick
06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
"my schedule is an 8 hour nonstop"

please don't think I'm trying to be rude- or step on anyone's toes; however, my family has had our fair share of doggies

And I've trained mine in the cage and two others (within the last 6 years)- and it does varry from dog to dog how well they pick up lessions. Mine is an expert in hand-eye-cordination and tricks for treats. But sucked in potty training (most likely my fault b/c I bought him while at my Aunt's vacation house, then moved him to her city appt, then brought him back to my house- talk about a case of the "which door do I go to?") anyways, he was 9 months-1 year before he was trustworthy.

So my 2cents- even if a puppy can hold it for a few hours; would you want him to? I always ask myself "how would I feel if I had to hold it for hours?"
You know?

bradpricebab
06-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Honestly to me it sounds like a UTI.. I would definatly have her checked.. If it turns out not to be a UTI it could be incontinence due to the begining of her period cycle if she is not spayed yet...

i agree we have a female dog that done that when she was a puppy. no matter hoe many times we took her out she still done it. when we took her to the vet it ended up being UTI and we ended up getting her spayed

Miranda
06-16-2006, 12:52 AM
So my 2cents- even if a puppy can hold it for a few hours; would you want him to? I always ask myself "how would I feel if I had to hold it for hours?"
You know?

First of all, no offense taken. I didn't get these puppies when I was all alone in my house with no one with me. My now exboyfriend and I bought the house together, and our schedules were different enough that the puppies were only alone for a couple hours at a time a couple times a day. Unfortunately, I wound up in a situation where I was all alone in the house, and there was nothing I could do about that. I have a roommate moving in now that has a schedule completely opposite from mine, which I really think will help.

But anyways, Ren.....

Kaylie is getting much, much better. I think she was having separation anxiety from when Tom left, because she's settled back into a pretty normal routine. They still have accidents (just urine now), but once my roomie, Ryan, moves in, I have a feeling that will resolve itself as well.

My only concern is that now that their natural inhibition towards urinating where they sleep is diminished, it will take a lot more work to get them completely house broken. My vet said it was a good sign, however, that they go poo the minute I let them out rather than doing it in their cages now.

I have a feeling things are looking up now.

~ Miranda

The Ren
06-16-2006, 06:52 AM
aww well im happy things turned out.. house training them shouldnt be hard and they will be on the right track in no time :D