PDA

View Full Version : Misc Hwo do you Re-format

Brut
05-21-2006, 01:54 PM
How the hell do i re-format my computer............ I don't have that system recovery thing on my computer that I use to have.. So anyone know how I do it, also I have a Compaq Presario S4100NX :mad: and how do I back up my files :confused:

v3rd1g0
05-21-2006, 02:11 PM
you'll need a system disk for the most part, or atleast a copy of an operating system. re-formatting deletes everything. To back up stuff just burn it onto a cd or dvd or put it on an external hdd.

Brut
05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
you'll need a system disk for the most part, or atleast a copy of an operating system. re-formatting deletes everything. To back up stuff just burn it onto a cd or dvd or put it on an external hdd.

wtf is a system disk?

Flip
05-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Ok, when he says system disk he means there may have been a disk that came with your computer that had windows on it. You don't HAVE to have one but those make it easier with pre built computers. You can also just get ahold of a plain windows xp or whatever version of windows you use cd. I'm sure someone on here could get you one. I can if you wana pick it up... To back up your files you would just burn them onto cd or something similar. When you reformat, EVERYTHING on your computer is GONE. EVERYTHING.

After that you have a blank computer and have to reinstall the operating system (windows). Usually it goes smoothly, something like:

1) put windows cd in cd drive
2) restart computer (make sure computer is set to boot from cd drive in bios)
3) choose boot from cd upon boot if it asks
4) follow instructions to install windows
5) set up windows
6) Install any drivers that you may need to (this just means like if you bought a printer, find the cd that came with it and run the install again. most of the time things will install automatically)
7) you should be good to go

Make sure you remember all of your passwodrs for things like internet and such. Also make sure you have the install disks/drivers for your network stuff like ethernet cards etc... because if you don't you won't be able to get back on the internet to download the drivers you need int he first place. You may want to go ahead and download them BEFORE you reformat...

Good luck! More questions are welcome...

Brut
05-21-2006, 02:29 PM
^^ wow thanks for all of that +1.. i would do all of that but the thing is all i have is the computer. i never got any cds with it or anything like that. the only cd I have is for the new mother board that was put in. i have the cd that goes to my dsl modem so that i can get the internet put onto it from bellsouth. i don't give a shit about most of the files I have on here. only ones i want to keep are the prgrams i made so that i can hack the game i play. where can i get a plain windows cd, any other cds i need?

edit:You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to flipture again.

v3rd1g0
05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
what windows version do you want? i have xp home, pro, media center...u ask it i've got it. If you want it u'll have to pick it up from gwinnett because i cant take my car more than 5 miles from my house... due to just incase it breaks down on me XD

Brut
05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
i would perfer home because i dun know what the hell pro or media center is... i live in gwinnett also im in buford.

SWEET i have 100 post added to my count

ShooterMcGavin
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
xp pro all day, trust me.