PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Ka-t question

CSquared
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
If you dont know... please don't waste my time... I'd rather have no answers at all than the "i've heard" or "i think" bullcrap. Sorry if that sounds dickish but i only want serious replies.

A friend and i decided that we are going to do a project car together(91-94 s13) for drift/autoX, so i have been piecing together a decent turbo setup in the process of looking for a car. I've been on ka-t.org for the last two days non-stop and have a few questions that i can't seem to find a definitive answer on.

An ideal "for now" setup for me would be around 250-260. I am trying to keep this as plug and play as possible.

This is my plan so far:
s14 sr20 t28(internal wastegate supposidley 9-10psi)
sr20 370cc injectors
walboro 255 fuel pump
ss autochrome or xo2 racing bottom mount manifold
apexi safc II
1g dsm bov
Ebay intercooler
colder plugs
3 inch custom turbo-back exhaust

Anyone have experience with that turbo? Does the internal wastegate effieciently hold the boost under 10lbs?

From what i've seen and from what i understand, it seems like this setup would put out around the 250hp i want(give or take)... Anyone with a similar setup? How much hp/tq?

I read that the 370cc injectors max out around 250... Last thing i need is to lean out and detonate... If the setup is going to make that much horsepower would that be too borderline for the injector flow capacity?

Do i need a fpr with the safc, injectors and fuel pump?

Are there any decent/common stock radiator upgrades?

Is there anything I'm leaving out aside from oil lines and intercooler piping?

Wtf do you guys do about emissions?
Appreciate it...

EmotorsportsE
05-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Sounds like it will be a good basic setup, never cared much for the SR turbo setups, turbo's too restrictive, top end sucks, I run Holsets on my KA-T, a bit laggy though. If you're buying the SSAC manifold, get the t3 one, and buy on of their t3/t4, .63 ar hot side, and 50 trim cold side, turbo will give you a better power band. I would probably get something like a MSD BTM or MSD6BTM, to retard the timing under boost. Detonation is what kills KA's, I've been through many. If you got an aftermarket adjustable fpr, you can bump your base fuel pressure up to pull a little more power out of those injectors, 250 is about max though, being safe. After about 280 you'll need a Z32 MAF also.

Here's my old KA-T 14, setups going into my vert now, if you want some more power later one, http://www.e-emotorsports.com/builtkat.php

Hit me up if you have any questions.

E

CSquared
05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds like it will be a good basic setup, never cared much for the SR turbo setups, turbo's too restrictive, top end sucks, I run Holsets on my KA-T, a bit laggy though. If you're buying the SSAC manifold, get the t3 one, and buy on of their t3/t4, .63 ar hot side, and 50 trim cold side, turbo will give you a better power band. I would probably get something like a MSD BTM or MSD6BTM, to retard the timing under boost. Detonation is what kills KA's, I've been through many. If you got an aftermarket adjustable fpr, you can bump your base fuel pressure up to pull a little more power out of those injectors, 250 is about max though, being safe. After about 280 you'll need a Z32 MAF also.

Here's my old KA-T 14, setups going into my vert now, if you want some more power later one, http://www.e-emotorsports.com/builtkat.php

Hit me up if you have any questions.

E

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm really taking it into consideration. If I'm going to be stretching the 370 injectors at 250hp i might as well upgrade to be safe... and if i'm going to upgrade the injectors then the t3 setup is starting to look awefully attractive.

what would be a safe injector size if I'm going to be looking at 300hp? I'm guessing 550s?

1439/2000
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
If you dont know... please don't waste my time... I'd rather have no answers at all than the "i've heard" or "i think" bullcrap. Sorry if that sounds dickish but i only want serious replies.

A friend and i decided that we are going to do a project car together(91-94 s13) for drift/autoX, so i have been piecing together a decent turbo setup in the process of looking for a car. I've been on ka-t.org for the last two days non-stop and have a few questions that i can't seem to find a definitive answer on.

An ideal "for now" setup for me would be around 250-260. I am trying to keep this as plug and play as possible.

This is my plan so far:
s14 sr20 t28(internal wastegate supposidley 9-10psi)
sr20 370cc injectors
walboro 255 fuel pump
ss autochrome or xo2 racing bottom mount manifold
apexi safc II
1g dsm bov
Ebay intercooler
colder plugs

Anyone have experience with that turbo? Does the internal wastegate effieciently hold the boost under 10lbs?

From what i've seen and from what i understand, it seems like this setup would put out around the 250hp i want(give or take)... Anyone with a similar setup? How much hp/tq?

I read that the 370cc injectors max out around 250... Last thing i need is to lean out and detonate... If the setup is going to make that much horsepower would that be too borderline for the injector flow capacity?

Do i need a fpr with the safc, injectors and fuel pump?

Are there any decent/common stock radiator upgrades?

Is there anything I'm leaving out aside from oil lines and intercooler piping?

Wtf do you guys do about emissions?
Appreciate it...

All SR stock wastegates no matter what the turbo is stock at 7 psi. Get a boost controller to bring it up to 10 psi. With the right tuning you can have 230 ish on your budget with the parts you listed.

1439/2000
05-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm really taking it into consideration. If I'm going to be stretching the 370 injectors at 250hp i might as well upgrade to be safe... and if i'm going to upgrade the injectors then the t3 setup is starting to look awefully attractive.

what would be a safe injector size if I'm going to be looking at 300hp? I'm guessing 550s?

If you're getting bigger injectors start out with 650s or so. FIC sells them cheap. Matt has them in his Sentra and they work fine.

The reason I say that is with 650s you probably wont ever run out of fuel with your setup even if you do t3/t4. You can play with ignition timing with bigger injectors and fatten up the mixture.

CSquared
05-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah... Originally i was looking for a cheap plug and play setup but the more i read the more it seems like my original plan just isn't going to cut it. As i said in my firt post, I'd like to make 250-260+

EDIT: what's cheap to you may not be cheap to someone else ha.

Nopaintsls
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
everythings sounds good, except for the ss autochrome manifold... I've gone through like 3 of them allready.. had them rewelded and still broke on me and a couple other ppl I know... the material is weak...

CSquared
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
a bottom or top mount manifold?

Nopaintsls
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
well I had the bottom... with a T3 flange

1439/2000
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
a bottom or top mount manifold?

Im sure hes talking about bottom. Look, if you notch the flange you should be good. It wont flex nearly as much.

1439/2000
05-18-2006, 02:15 PM
You take a grinder and seperate by cutting a slit so it wont flex.

Works on PLENTY of dsm guys cars.

Nopaintsls
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
didn't work on mine... right where the flange met the tubing is where mine kept braking

CSquared
05-18-2006, 02:24 PM
but will ss fix/replace for free? If so im going to take my chances. This isn't going to be a DD.

sebastianHoff
05-18-2006, 02:52 PM
the ss flanges suck balls your better off buying a megan or something of that nature.

heres the set up i was going to run on a friends car before he lost his mind and bought a 4runner (he paid the asking price, which was about $1500 too much).

-s13 turbo (it'll blow enough for about 260whp on an sr, so it will be able to do that easy on a ka)

-Deatschwerks 444cc injectors, or whatever there 4XXcc injectors are. the 5XX and 6XX are pretty cheap so if you want to go bigger do so. the 370cc injectors ought to be good for around 300whp on a ka, remember you got an extra 1/2 litre over the sr, but the deatschwerks are so cheap.

-hks wastegate actuator. set it at 10psi and walk away.

-a simple piggy-back fuel set up, just enough to tune for the 10psi of boost.

-of course some sort of 3" exhaust set up.

-stock sr smic and ka mafs. believe it or not these pieces will handle 250whp on the sr (remember that extra 1/2 litre). if you buy anything buy the z32 mafs first and the intercooler later.

thats it, seriously. we had it paced out at less than $1000. if you want a bit more power, buy an rb25 turbo. i know they suck and cant blow more than 13psi before they explode, but it would match really well to the ka. dont waste your money on a t-28, it really isnt worth it. also i would rig up some sor t of water sprayer for the smic, it really does help that little thing.

1439/2000
05-18-2006, 03:14 PM
the ss flanges suck balls your better off buying a megan or something of that nature.

heres the set up i was going to run on a friends car before he lost his mind and bought a 4runner (he paid the asking price, which was about $1500 too much).

-s13 turbo (it'll blow enough for about 260whp on an sr, so it will be able to do that easy on a ka)

-Deatschwerks 444cc injectors, or whatever there 4XXcc injectors are. the 5XX and 6XX are pretty cheap so if you want to go bigger do so. the 370cc injectors ought to be good for around 300whp on a ka, remember you got an extra 1/2 litre over the sr, but the deatschwerks are so cheap.

-hks wastegate actuator. set it at 10psi and walk away.

-a simple piggy-back fuel set up, just enough to tune for the 10psi of boost.

-of course some sort of 3" exhaust set up.

-stock sr smic and ka mafs. believe it or not these pieces will handle 250whp on the sr (remember that extra 1/2 litre). if you buy anything buy the z32 mafs first and the intercooler later.

thats it, seriously. we had it paced out at less than $1000. if you want a bit more power, buy an rb25 turbo. i know they suck and cant blow more than 13psi before they explode, but it would match really well to the ka. dont waste your money on a t-28, it really isnt worth it. also i would rig up some sor t of water sprayer for the smic, it really does help that little thing.

They're still not big enough. You need s14/s15 sr injectors which are 440 for that kind of power.

The Green Monster
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
well i'll make sure i cut the flanges on my ssautochrome...which is just temporary until i get my revhard mani

and i guess i might as well upgrade the injectors...only difference really in our setup is you're running a t28 and i'm running a t25

i guess i should get that MSD6BTM soon then

sebastianHoff
05-18-2006, 04:41 PM
They're still not big enough. You need s14/s15 sr injectors which are 440 for that kind of power.

the rb uses 370cc injectors which are good for about 320whp on that motor. granted 2 extra cylinders but same displacement. the 370cc will make the power, but they will be running right close to 100% which is bad. its really a question of how cheap you want to get.

CSquared
05-18-2006, 05:16 PM
as cheap as i can get without having to worry about dropping the remaining pieces of my motor into a dumpster behind the local strip mall. ha.

Would the 440 s15 sr injectors still be plug and play for the s13?

How much are the sr 440s supposed to take power wise?

The 480cc Deatschwerks injectors have my attention.

sebastianHoff
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
look your missing the point. the sr is a 2 litre turbo motor with 8.5:1 compression. the ka is a 2.4 litre with 9.5:1 compression. tuning wise the ka is actually closer to the rb25 than it is to the sr. the reason you want to use 370cc sr injectors is they are cheap, really cheap. sr guys just throw them out or you can buy a set for less than $100 shipped. your only wanting to make 250whp which the 370s can do and still leave you plenty of head room. the best part about using the 370s is you wont have to retune the ecu, it will run a tad rich till you throw that piggy back on there, but wouldnt it be funny if the increase in fuel from the 370s was just enough to compensate for the additional air of the t25. now id like to see that.

just remember any time you see "sr" preceded by "s14" or "s15". you going to pay out the ass for what ever it is.

CSquared
05-18-2006, 11:46 PM
look your missing the point. the sr is a 2 litre turbo motor with 8.5:1 compression. the ka is a 2.4 litre with 9.5:1 compression. tuning wise the ka is actually closer to the rb25 than it is to the sr. the reason you want to use 370cc sr injectors is they are cheap, really cheap. sr guys just throw them out or you can buy a set for less than $100 shipped. your only wanting to make 250whp which the 370s can do and still leave you plenty of head room. the best part about using the 370s is you wont have to retune the ecu, it will run a tad rich till you throw that piggy back on there, but wouldnt it be funny if the increase in fuel from the 370s was just enough to compensate for the additional air of the t25. now id like to see that.

just remember any time you see "sr" preceded by "s14" or "s15". you going to pay out the ass for what ever it is.

I get the message you are trying to tell me about the 370cc injectors. I am still taking this all under consideration but I think you fuckers are making me question my power goals. I think i might go t3/t4 instead and aim for something more along the lines of 300hp. Which is why i am now asking about larger injectors.

The Green Monster
05-19-2006, 05:59 AM
if so...sell me your t28 :goodjob:

LS2ner
05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
i wouldnt suggest anything SSAC. Their may be a few people with good experiences from them, but the majority are bad. Their manifolds break, their turbo's fall apart, and that's something thats gonna cost u money EVERYTIME it happens. the t28 with a boost controller sounds like a better idea than upgrading to a t3/t4. Get a SR side mount instead of the shitty ebay intercoolers (Factory nissan parts will be better quality for sure.) An adjustable FPR would probably be smart for tuning reasons, plus their not that expensive. Im not a nissan expert but the rest of ur set-up sounds good.

1439/2000
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
the rb uses 370cc injectors which are good for about 320whp on that motor. granted 2 extra cylinders but same displacement. the 370cc will make the power, but they will be running right close to 100% which is bad. its really a question of how cheap you want to get.

Think about bore and stroke though. 300zx having 370s around that power level
too but they run out of fuel.BUT with more cylinders you need less fuel to make more power. Thats self explanitory. You cant compare RB or VG to a 4 cyl. Fuel trims will always be different.

You will flow more cfm through a ka turbo car. Anything over 250hp I would get 440s or some cheap 550/650.

sebastianHoff
05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
the ka compression ratio is also higher. i say he can do 250whp safely on the 370cc injectors. were it me, id try it, and if the a/f wasnt at a safe level then id upgrade. its not my car though and the the deatschwerks 440s are cheap enough that you'll only spend an extra $100 (if that) over the cost of a set of 370s.

250whp is plenty. with the massagin of done on my 25 its probably close to 240-250whp and my 14 will slide just fine. where people get into trouble is they ask more of their ka than they should. if you want to get 300whp then your lookin at a head gasket and since you've replaced the head gasket you might as well do the pistons cause they'll go soon too. its becomes a vicious cycle when the car was supposed to be cheap fun. its like gettin a stripper pregnant.

Nopaintsls
05-19-2006, 02:47 PM

rb wat? the RB20 has 270's

The Green Monster
05-19-2006, 03:24 PM
its becomes a vicious cycle when the car was supposed to be cheap fun. its like gettin a stripper pregnant.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: +1

after i spread some around :goodjob:

sebastianHoff
05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
rb wat? the RB20 has 270's

heres the thing, the rb20 was a mistake nissan made in the 80s so it doesnt really count.

EmotorsportsE
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I love the hate on the RB20's, I guess nobody has ever made them fast besides us. Got a couple of more upgraded 20's coming out soon.

Shooting for 450 before we tear into it.
http://www.e-emotorsports.com/images/ront62.jpg

E

The Green Monster
05-19-2006, 11:42 PM
THAT IS FUCKIN SEXY...PRETTY SURE I JUST BUSTED A NUT

I WISH I WASN'T POOR SO I COULD HAVE A TIGHT CAR :(

CURSE YOU GOD FOR MAKING ME BLACK...J/P LOL

CSquared
05-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks to all of you wonderful wonderful people, I am now going for 280-300hp with a t3/t4.

Setup:

t3/t4 turbo(friend has a used garrett turbo)
ssautochrome 38mm wastegate w/7.8psi spring
ss autochrome t3/t4 manifold.
deatschwerks 480cc injectors
walboro 255 fuel pump
apexi safc II
1g dsm bov
Ebay intercooler
colder plugs

LS2ner
05-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks to all of you wonderful wonderful people, I am now going for 280-300hp with a t3/t4.

Setup:

walboro 255 fuel pump
apexi safc II
1g dsm bov
Ebay intercooler
colder plugs

above lines in bold are mistakes

CSquared
05-20-2006, 01:15 PM
above lines in bold are mistakes

1. Apparently the manifold design was updated(for the 240sx) and less likely to crack.

2. We'll find out.

3. Some of the ebay intercoolers are just as good as the real thing. You just have to do some research.

I'll take my chances.

1439/2000
05-20-2006, 01:19 PM
1. Apparently the manifold design was updated(for the 240sx) and less likely to crack.

2. We'll find out.

3. Some of the ebay intercoolers are just as good as the real thing. You just have to do some research.

I'll take my chances.

Moat of the time they do just fine. Notch your manifold like I said and get it tuned immediately. Careful with tapping the oil pan too.

mrdriftr
05-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Good job going for more than a t25. the efficiency range for them sucks past 240-260 whp. plus you wouldnt get 250hp on the 7 psi spring the wastegate holds.

as i read your post, i saw you were asking about the t28. mine holds a steady 7 psi, but sometimes spikes to about 10. i think some of it has to do with outside temperature and atmospheric pressure, as well as the humidity. than again, i dont drive it everyday to really pay attention to it.

babowc
05-25-2006, 11:54 PM

Setup:

walboro 255 fuel pump
apexi safc II
1g dsm bov
Ebay intercooler
colder plugs

why would you go cheap on such important parts?
just go buy a log mani and weld it yourself.
i;m sure it'll be a lot more assurance than the t3/t4 ssac mani.
and you really want to risk your setup on a ssac wastegate?

CSquared
05-26-2006, 01:59 AM
why would you go cheap on such important parts?
just go buy a log mani and weld it yourself.
i;m sure it'll be a lot more assurance than the t3/t4 ssac mani.
and you really want to risk your setup on a ssac wastegate?

Do you have personal hands on experience with any of these parts?

Regardless... I'm probably not going with the ssautochrome wastegate.

But everything else remains the same.

Motormouth75
05-30-2006, 11:52 PM
I have a Top Hat create motor (lower compresion 8.5:1). T3/T4 turbo with 370cc sr infectors, front mount, 255 lph fuel pump and my SR injectors maxed out with 10psi at 250hp and 288 tq. Need is a fuel pressure regulator when it goes in my S13.

Big Baller
06-23-2006, 08:30 AM
I love the hate on the RB20's, I guess nobody has ever made them fast besides us. Got a couple of more upgraded 20's coming out soon.

Shooting for 450 before we tear into it.
http://www.e-emotorsports.com/images/ront62.jpg

E

I'm really glad you like RB20s, but what makes them so great? Your shooting for 450hp with that huge ass turbo?

They weigh a ton.

Whats the point?

Seriously I'm not bashing you(yet).

babowc
09-03-2006, 10:15 PM
i dont know..
i would just get the log mani just for assurance sake and it probably will be cheaper down the road.
and the wastegate, yeah, good choice.
no ssac.

update us on what happened over the couple months.
i'll be getting ka-t very soon as well.

keep us informed!

supraflame
09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
The XSPower manifolds have been revised and are rather decent now. The wastegates have no problems. Get the Tial 38MM style. Also the XSPower intercoolers have beeen pushed well over 800hp by many supra guys. They love cheap stuff because they got tired of paying greddy $1800 for a 4 row intercooler with piping now they buy universal intercooler piping nadi ntercoolers for a little over $350. With some cutting and a little welding you can have a hell of a setup. I am pushing a little over 300 RWHP in my SC with an XSPower kit. I have a little over 4gs in my car with the replacement motor, head work, headstuds, maintenance, clutch, exhaust, and piggy back ecu with turning. Now thats worth it. I would love to be able to afford the real expensive shit. But why not have cheap horsepower when it works.

My recommendation is pick up some RX7 injectors from an FD the primaries are 550cc and have been known to flow to 605cc. They are top feed high impedance and require no resistor pack. I can't remember if the KA is high or low impedance if it is low impedance pick up some 89 Turbo II primaries or secondary. iF they are side feed pick up some supra 550cc injectors they are low impedance. Alot ofthe denso parts will fit each other and the Sti Pinks are 550cc top feed high impedance injectors. THose might be a good choice.

Good luck.

CSquared
09-04-2006, 01:55 AM
i dont know..
i would just get the log mani just for assurance sake and it probably will be cheaper down the road.
and the wastegate, yeah, good choice.
no ssac.

update us on what happened over the couple months.
i'll be getting ka-t very soon as well.

keep us informed!

lol well here is an update: I ditched the 240 and bought an mk2(82-86) supra which will recieve a 7m swap once the 5m is blown to pieces. :D

I decided i wanted to do something a little bit different. Nobody really touches those old supras and one came up on here for a grand. I've always loved that body style and have an affliction for the m series motors. So... I went to look at it... and decided to buy it.

I was exploring the possibility of a turbo on the 5m but the motor has some really high mileage so i'll probably just throw on as many bolt-ons as i can for now. I've owned my mk3 for a little over two years now and have become pretty damn familiar with the particulars of the motor and body. Plus... I'm a toyota guy at heart.

Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks again for all your opinions

Later,

Cramer

green91
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
There are actually quite a few 7m guys around here. A guy i work with is in the process of building his for high #s and has several other friends with high HP 7ms. Ive met one with a high hp 7m in a mk2 like your wanting.

CSquared
09-04-2006, 02:13 PM
There are actually quite a few 7m guys around here. A guy i work with is in the process of building his for high #s and has several other friends with high HP 7ms. Ive met one with a high hp 7m in a mk2 like your wanting.

You talking about jared pink by any chance?

and maybe you are talking about chris parvin at aap with the mk2?

green91
09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
yea and yea

CSquared
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
yea and yea

Yeah jareds car is going to be pretty sick once he get's it all together. Thing has been/was off the road for a loooooong time in the process though.

I don't know how he copes.