PDA

View Full Version : clutch not engaging...

ahmonrah
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
make: nissan

model: 240sx 5spd.

year: 1993

problem: the clutch.
when i got in the car today to go get some things done/kick it with one of my homies, i start the car, when i went to press the clutch, the bitch went ALL the the way to the floor and didnt come out, (no pressure) check clutch fluid , clutch master cylinder reseviour was to the minimum mark, check the other reseviour, that one is empty. I grab DOT3 brake fluid and fill both to recommended level.

the issue at hand now is that the clutch pedal still sits on the floor, i've by hand, p umped the clutch and to no avail. there simply isnt any pressure being built up. the brakes have pressure, but the clutch still is like there is nothing in the reseviour(s).
any pointers as solutions to remedy this issue? short of taking it to a shop.

3kgtdrvr
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
leak somewhere? do u keep losing fluid? i say check the master cylinder, the lines, and the slave cylinder. the brakes and clutch are two seperate systems...and in general, because its a closed system, unless theres a leak the brake fluid only goes down when the pads get low

BigPoppaHurtm
05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I remember reading that you needed a new clutch a few months ago. If you did change it then it maybe your clutch master cylinder. When my friend replaced his clutch on his car a few years back his master cylinder broke just 2 weeks after the job. Also when I bought my s2k last year my master cylinder broke 3 days after I got it. Im guessing they gave me a new clutch and the old cylinder couldnt take the extra grip. Either way we both experienced the stuff you just described. Im not too mechanically inclined so you definetly want a second opinion but Im sure it probably your master cylinder especially if you recently got a new clutch. Good luck yo.

boomer
05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
bleed the clutch? worked for me.

ahmonrah
05-18-2006, 12:51 AM
thanks guys/ and that was my acura legend that needed a new clutch a couple months ago. i've taken care of that one and bought a 240 less than 2 weeks ago. the seller offered to bleedit but looking at the time constraint i was under at the time i declined. i should've done it. but i'll get started on this thing in the morning. just talked to a mechanic friend of mine yesterday and he recommended i bring it by his shop today and let him run through it bumper to bomper to look for issues. was going to this morn but i couldnt get it in gear no doubt!!

ahmonrah
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
but doing this from home. how would i bleed the clutch on this car ??

3kgtdrvr
05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
there should be a bleeder screw on the clutch slave cylinder and u just have to pump the pedal and hold it and then losen the screw and then tighten it and then let off the pedal and pump it again and repeat over and over and over until all the air is out....but its VERY important to keep an eye on the resevior so u dont run out of fluid in it bc then u have to start all over again
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/imag/clutch%20slave1.JPG

THEONE
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
it takes 2 people to do this, one to pump and build pressure then hold the pedal to the floor and slowly release the bleeder valve and watch the air bubbles come out do it until there the clutch feels nice to you and only fluid comes out the bleeder screw.just pump and repeat...hmmm sounds dirty.

ahmonrah
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks 3kgtdrvr now that i know what the hell i'm looking for...
and bodydropped i'm a one man operation on this one....no one is near me to help with the issue so i guess i'll go it alone!!

3kgtdrvr
05-18-2006, 06:08 PM
since ur a one man crew, you can also put a hose that fits tighly on the bleeder screw into a bottle of brake fluid and open the bleeder screw and pump the pedal. This way when u let the pedal up and it would normally suck air in, it will only suck in new fluid without the air bubbles. Also this way u can see the air bubbles easier too