PDA

View Full Version : Misc need advice on fish

SNapper
05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
well i got a free fish tank. it's one of those big ones like 50 gallons or something.
so i was wondering how much would it cost monthly to manage a few fish in there. i already have all the stuff for the inside i just need a filter and a few little things. what kinda fish would be cool to put in there and what do i need for the water?

BABY J
05-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Convert to saltwater tank.

SNapper
05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Convert to saltwater tank.
what do i have to do?

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
^^^ No on the salt water. Not as a first timer you don't want to. Give me a second and I will snap a shot of my tropical semi-aggressive tank. Later ,QD.

SNapper
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
^^^ No. Not as a first timer you don't want to. Give me a second and I will snap a shot of my tropical semi-aggressive tank. Later ,QD.
cool. i've always wanted a tank.

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Here is mine. Nothing much right now. I have 16 fish in it:

3 Blue Gourami
3 Great Danios
4 Red Serpai
1 chocolate algae eater
2 Bumble Bee catfish
2 Green Tiger Barbs
1 Albino Clawed Frog

All are semi-aggressive to mildly aggressive. I've had these tankmates for about 6 months now with no loss of life. Later, QD.

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM
SALT ISNT AS HARD AS IT LOOKS... I HAVE NEVER HAD A FISH TANK I WENT THE SALT ROUTE....EVERYTHING IS FINE..IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TANK AND YOU WANT TO GO THE SALT PATH I RECOMEND DOING ALOT OF RESEARCH AND START OFF WITH A SMALL TANK...NOTHING OVER 20GAL. I STARTED WITH A 12 GAL AND MOVED UP TO A 55GAL. WILL POST SOME PICS TONIGHT. GOT A FEW COOL NEW THINGS ADDED TO THE TANK.

BABY J
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
^^ VTEC??

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
.IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TANK AND YOU WANT TO GO THE SALT PATH I RECOMEND DOING ALOT OF RESEARCH AND START OFF WITH A SMALL TANK..

That's what I was fixing to post. Lolol. Later, QD.

Killer
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
BUY OSCARS! they live through anything man! but they grow to be quite large...and can be very aggresive!

ive got two right now... and if they get hungry... they fight.. they are in thirty gallon tank and they are both like8-10 inches long id say. ( i know i need a bigger tank.) but man.. they will frickin last.. i had one jump out of a holding tank and hit the concrete..(while i was in the moving process)... it lived! then months later it jumped out of the back of my tank... still alive... and nothing is cooler than watching them eat gold fish!

SNapper
05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
BUY OSCARS! they live through anything man! but they grow to be quite large...and can be very aggresive!

ive got two right now... and if they get hungry... they fight.. they are in thirty gallon tank and they are both like8-10 inches long id say. ( i know i need a bigger tank.) but man.. they will frickin last.. i had one jump out of a holding tank and hit the concrete..(while i was in the moving process)... it lived! then months later it jumped out of the back of my tank... still alive... and nothing is cooler than watching them eat gold fish!
dude show me some pictures.

SNapper
05-16-2006, 02:39 PM
here's what i have, shitty pick but u can kinda see what i got.

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Oscars, along with other cichlids are cool as hail to have. Only thing is, if you like a variety of fish, they wouldn't be my choice. You can't have Cichlids with tropical and semi-aggressives. Of course the best variety is in Salt water. Later, QD.

The Golden Child
05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
if this is your 1st time i would recommend with a fresh water/tropical setup ..
its easy to take care of ..
there are many selections of fishes to you can start off with ..
koi fish - gold fish is your most basic fish you can start with ..
tropical i would say some tetras and neons and cat fish ..
if you wanna do salt i suggest starting with a 10 gallon and get a couple of fishes ..
but its all on what you wanna do ..
oscars are pretty good too and its pretty cool to watch them eat ..
i had some oscars - arrowanna - cat fish - alligator gars in a 250 gallon set up ..
then i had to upgrade to a custom built tank which held up to 500 gallons ..
but best thing is start off little then work your way up to bigger stuff ..

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Here are some recent pics of my 55gal.

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
more....

The Golden Child
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
da only thing i hate about the salt water is when your cleaning it ..
gotta take the fish out and put it in a bucket ..
empty the water out the tank and let it settle down ..
but nice set up bro ..

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:09 PM
more...

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Here is my 5 1/2 gal tank...fish and shrimp are hiding so i didnt take many pics. Tank is still in progress.

SNapper
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
that's nice as hell. i'm gunna take some pics of this tank setup i got in a few

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
da only thing i hate about the salt water is when your cleaning it ..
gotta take the fish out and put it in a bucket ..
empty the water out the tank and let it settle down ..
but nice set up bro ..

You dont have to take the fish out and put into a bucket when doing a water change/ cleaning the tank....never done it..never lost a fish while cleaning/water change. I dont know anyone who has taken the fish out while cleaning the tank.

Killer
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
i'll try to get some pics up... my tank is nothing special.. but my fish are bad as all get out!

Killer
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
twinnytwinn... what's that green little spoted fish???? my dad has a salt tank... he needs one of those!

The Golden Child
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
You dont have to take the fish out and put into a bucket when doing a water change/ cleaning the tank....never done it..never lost a fish while cleaning/water change. I dont know anyone who has taken the fish out while cleaning the tank.

you dont have to but i like to ..
when i did have fish setups ..
i use to empty it all out and clean it all out ..

TwinyTwin
05-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Its a spotted manderian.. must have a mature tank with lots of live rock and copods. If you can find one that eats prepared food such as brine and mysis it makes it alot easier. I was lucky to have found one that eats prepared food as well as copods.

SNapper
05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
well here's the setup i got to work with.i cleaned it out but i need a filter on it to really get the rest of the crap out.this might only be a 35 gallon i dunno.

SNapper
05-17-2006, 01:55 AM
if anyone has any fish tank stuff they wanna sell me let me know.

TwinyTwin
05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
SNAPPER IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A 55GAL TANK... TRY GOING ON ATLANTAREEFCLUB.ORG....THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE SELLING STUFF FROM THEIR TANK. ITS ALSO A GREAT PLACE TO GO AND GET INFO FROM OTHER FISH ENTHUISTS.

SNapper
05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
i measured it out and it holds 38 gallons.

Crowml
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Twiny, very nice tank.

Heres an idea Snapper, get some pirahna!

SNapper
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Twiny, very nice tank.

Heres an idea Snapper, get some pirahna!
i think i should get 1 suckfish 1 pirahna 1 oscar and a bunch of guppies and watch them go. and also a turtle.cuz i heard oscars and pirahna's can live together.

Killer
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
dude... if u want a pirahna... get a paku... they look very similar.. and paku (or pacu.. don't remember) are less aggresive.. and can live with oscars (if u get them while they are smaller and kinda raise them together.) i wouldn't get two large fish they're always more aggressive towards each other.

Tracy
05-17-2006, 03:09 PM
get betas and put them all in the same tank and watch what happens!

Sike! JK! Twinny nice tank.

SNapper
05-17-2006, 03:21 PM
u can have beta's in the same tank if it's big enough i might get 2